ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM After a disappointing opener, goals are still ahead of West Virginia

Vernon, I appreciate your rah, rah. I've been watching Mountaineer football for 60+ years. There are very, very few times
that the excitement was at the level it was on Saturday. The issue to me is that if Neal Brown can't get the team "up" for
that game then his motivational ability has to be called into question. From the beginning - actually before the beginning
(the coin toss) I had a bad feeling. Please explain to me why in the world does a team take the ball rather than kick to open
the game? My fears were realized when PSU scored with six second left in the first half and then received to start the
second half.

Vernon, I appreciate your rah, rah. I've been watching Mountaineer football for 60+ years. There are very, very few times
that the excitement was at the level it was on Saturday. The issue to me is that if Neal Brown can't get the team "up" for
that game then his motivational ability has to be called into question. From the beginning - actually before the beginning
(the coin toss) I had a bad feeling. Please explain to me why in the world does a team take the ball rather than kick to open
the game? My fears were realized when PSU scored with six second left in the first half and then received to start the
second half.
Poor play calling from both teams. While Brown opted to go for it on 4th down instead of kicking the field goal in the 1stQ, Franklin made an even bigger mistake by opting to go for 2 on their 1st TD. Who in their right mind thinks they need to go for 2 when it’s 6-0 in the 1st Q? I feel coaching nationwide is poor right now with these bonehead calls.

Poor play calling from both teams. While Brown opted to go for it on 4th down instead of kicking the field goal in the 1stQ, Franklin made an even bigger mistake by opting to go for 2 on their 1st TD. Who in their right mind thinks they need to go for 2 when it’s 6-0 in the 1st Q? I feel coaching nationwide is poor right now with these bonehead calls.
I fully agree.

On taking the first kickoff, I agree. Only chance we had in the game from my perspective is to get up first and have the crowd get even more rowdy. If we had kicked off and they would have taken the ball down the field easily, the game would have been over early.

Kickoff decision didn't cost us the game. Didn't work out but the bigger mistake was not getting the first points of the game if one wants to critique the coaching decisions in my view.

Who in their right mind thinks they need to go for 2 when it’s 6-0 in the 1st Q?
You kind of answered your own question. Coaches like to do things like that when they're unexpected, in fact it happened in several other games this weekend. I'm not defending the call but you perfectly explained why he did it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT