ADVERTISEMENT

ACC network might be true

thebeloved

All-Conference
Jun 19, 2010
The ACC Network will reportedly launch by August 2019 on.si.com/2a4H1A4.
Plus, New grant of rights thru 2036. Includes ND. If ND joins a conference before that it must be with ACC or they have to pay. Big 12 late to the party again.

Well, good for them! Now, will it make any money? Time will tell. Extending the GOR was a smart move, likely mandated by ESPN. Notre Dame is still the prima dona, as always.

Well, good for them! Now, will it make any money? Time will tell. Extending the GOR was a smart move, likely mandated by ESPN. Notre Dame is still the prima dona, as always.
As you said profitability remains to be seen but they were smart to extend of GOR for next 20 years.

9 million message board posts and Tweets about the ACC not getting a network, dying and being raided by the other conferences....all completely, totally, wildly wrong.

Six years worth of speculation...done. Gone. Over.

WV better be working behind the scenes with the SEC to try and gain entry. Texas and Oklahoma are going to bail at some point leaving the others hung out to dry.

9 million message board posts and Tweets about the ACC not getting a network, dying and being raided by the other conferences....all completely, totally, wildly wrong.

Six years worth of speculation...done. Gone. Over.

I can make a SteelEER Network too. It doesn't mean it will make any money. Especially since they will likely have to purchase back their own content to even show it on this. The model the B12 uses for Tier 2/3 content is the most compatible with the a la carte menus that are coming.

ESPN3 anyone?

What this did do though is put the B12 on a very hot seat. Our GOR is up in 10 years and no one is leaving the Big10 or SEC. So any available P5 team is going to be coming from the B12.

My solution? Take on UCF and make everyone sign a new GOR that is up in 2037. A new contract with UCF will handle the GOR issue.

WV better be working behind the scenes with the SEC to try and gain entry. Texas and Oklahoma are going to bail at some point leaving the others hung out to dry.
My suspicion is that Boren has been working all along behind the scenes and in front of the scenes to get Oklahoma into the SEC. The new ACC network may keep the SEC from successfully targeting any of the current teams in the ACC. Maybe there is a chance for WVU after all, but it is a slim one.

I can make a SteelEER Network too. It doesn't mean it will make any money. Especially since they will likely have to purchase back their own content to even show it on this. The model the B12 uses for Tier 2/3 content is the most compatible with the a la carte menus that are coming.

ESPN3 anyone?

What this did do though is put the B12 on a very hot seat. Our GOR is up in 10 years and no one is leaving the Big10 or SEC. So any available P5 team is going to be coming from the B12.

My solution? Take on UCF and make everyone sign a new GOR that is up in 2037. A new contract with UCF will handle the GOR issue.

They don't have to purchase back rights. This is a myth that keeps getting perpetuated.

I've been listening /watching some of the BIG12 media day stuff on XM and Fox Go all day. The theory seems to be that it is more likely that the PAC 12 raids the Big12.

First step is offering Houston an expansion slot, paving the way for UT/OU/OSU/TCU/Baylor and TT to merge the two conferences. Likely that WVU/KU/ISU/KSU get left out.

Escalation of expansion would make WVU a great acquisition for ACC or SEC. The others, who knows.

I've been listening /watching some of the BIG12 media day stuff on XM and Fox Go all day. The theory seems to be that it is more likely that the PAC 12 raids the Big12.

First step is offering Houston an expansion slot, paving the way for UT/OU/OSU/TCU/Baylor and TT to merge the two conferences. Likely that WVU/KU/ISU/KSU get left out.

Escalation of expansion would make WVU a great acquisition for ACC or SEC. The others, who knows.
The ACC network could be a good thing for WVU. It may wall off ACC teams from getting poached by the SEC. The SEC would invite Oklahoma and they would probably accept. If they take OU they won't want Oklahoma State. Texas might go but Texas A and M would pitch a major fit and to date the SEC has not doubled up in any state. I think Texas stays as the ruler of the Big12 or they go to the BIG10. That leaves Kansas, KSU, ISU and WVU for BIG12 teams to the SEC. WVU is the most logical choice. Small window of opportunity but not impossible.

The ACC network could be a good thing for WVU. It may wall off ACC teams from getting poached by the SEC. The SEC would invite Oklahoma and they would probably accept. If they take OU they won't want Oklahoma State. Texas might go but Texas A and M would pitch a major fit and to date the SEC has not doubled up in any state. I think Texas stays as the ruler of the Big12 or they go to the BIG10. That leaves Kansas, KSU, ISU and WVU for BIG12 teams to the SEC. WVU is the most logical choice. Small window of opportunity but not impossible.

[eyeroll]

Out of all 5 power conferences, the PAC is the weakest and poorest. Why in the world would any successful power 5 program take a step backward to join them? Colorado is openly miserable there. Texas has the Longhorn Network and Oklahoma has their own tier 3 deal that eclipses the PAC Network payouts by far. Both would lose money by going west.

The thing the Pac has going for it--or things----

Big Ten partner in Rose bowl and long term scheduling
Lots of media love them
Media contracts expire 1 year before BIG 12s.

Now that the ACC has gotten their network (or will be), and extended their GOR none of those schools are going anywhere and neither is Notre Dame.

The BIG 12 has several extremely important decisions to make.

And the first one is to strategically extend the GOR in exchange for a renegotiated broadcast contract. And please, put the whole expansion issue to rest one way or another for at least the rest of my life!

Kansas would get scooped up by the Big 10.

I might be nieve, but I think ISU and KSU would be the only ones not taken up.

If that were to happen, WVU needs to bump it's academic rep. Regardless, I think WVU would bring Luck back as a consultant when the shit hits the fan. I think he could parlay our good relationship with the SEC into an invite. I would only say ACC if the alternative is oblivion (AAC).

Kansas would get scooped up by the Big 10.

I might be nieve, but I think ISU and KSU would be the only ones not taken up.

If that were to happen, WVU needs to bump it's academic rep. Regardless, I think WVU would bring Luck back as a consultant when the shit hits the fan. I think he could parlay our good relationship with the SEC into an invite. I would only say ACC if the alternative is oblivion (AAC).
The only problem with that scenario is that the invitation from the ACC arrives three weeks after hell freezes over.

More gas on the fire.... just announced, Big12 has decided to table expansion for the foreseeable future.

Actually just the opposite. BOD wants to move forward and evaluate prospects. All agreed. Next meeting in October. Really, really late on decision but gives the conference, and WVU, a chance at stability...if they follow through.

More gas on the fire.... just announced, Big12 has decided to table expansion for the foreseeable future.

Actually just the opposite. BOD wants to move forward and evaluate prospects. All agreed. Next meeting in October. Really, really late on decision but gives the conference, and WVU, a chance at stability...if they follow through.

I believe I will have to stand corrected as it has been reported that expansion is on the table. I was listening to the guys on XM who said expansion was off the table.

They mis-reported or I mis-heard the statement. Either way, this is good news.

Outstanding!!!!!

Another conference network just so the average fan can watch 1 F$&@ing football game a season on this network at his local watering hole.

According to Nielson, no one is watching these conference networks, be it the SEC, B1G, or the PAC. The ratings were so low with the PAC 12 network, it already went regional cable. The only time they even register is like 4-8 hrs on 13 Saturdays a year. There's 352 other days no one cares. Qvc has more callers than Finebaum and you get to talk to Susan Lucci or Lori Graneer and you don't have to listen to Charles in Real Town or Darrel in Columbus.

Start a streaming service and save the trouble of starting the conference equivalent to "SEC Storied". Within 5-10 yrs it's all gonna be streaming anyway.

Outstanding!!!!!

Another conference network just so the average fan can watch 1 F$&@ing football game a season on this network at his local watering hole.

According to Nielson, no one is watching these conference networks, be it the SEC, B1G, or the PAC. The ratings were so low with the PAC 12 network, it already went regional cable. The only time they even register is like 4-8 hrs on 13 Saturdays a year. There's 352 other days no one cares. Qvc has more callers than Finebaum and you get to talk to Susan Lucci or Lori Graneer and you don't have to listen to Charles in Real Town or Darrel in Columbus.

Start a streaming service and save the trouble of starting the conference equivalent to "SEC Storied". Within 5-10 yrs it's all gonna be streaming anyway.

Actually, Neilson doesn't rate games on the conference networks. Everybody knows the networks don't get good ratings. That was never the point. The point of a conference is strictly money. You make money off subscription fee from people who don't watch the network. You have just enough diehards to get the channel carried, and then you make your real money from people who buy the packages for other channels. It's basically a racket, but it makes money for the conferences.

I also don't get your point about the Pac 12 being regional. That's how all the conference networks are. That's why they charge an in-footprint subscription rate that's 10x higher than outside the footprint.

Yeah and if the drop in cable and satellite subscriptions continues at the rate over the last 2 years, these networks are gone. It's like a home phone line or answering machine, technology will make it a thing of the past. Everything is going streaming. At best in 5 years everything is ala carte for those remaining on cable/satellite. Nobody watches this, and the $$$$$ is going away.

My suspicion is that Boren has been working all along behind the scenes and in front of the scenes to get Oklahoma into the SEC. The new ACC network may keep the SEC from successfully targeting any of the current teams in the ACC. Maybe there is a chance for WVU after all, but it is a slim one.
If expansion happens GOR will get extended.

ESPN3 anyone?

You forgot a couple major things pal! No one is leaving the ACC for the Big12 either. And no one is leaving the PAC12 for the Big12 either. BTW what makes you think Texas and/or Oklahoma would sign a new GOR. They would have to be downright nuts to sign on with this dysfunctional conference. The resident morons fail to realize that Texas and Oklahoma are the only members that draw any attention from around the country. WVU belongs in the ACC or SEC. It's a shame they were not included in the final expansion plan for the ACC.

You forgot a couple major things pal! No one is leaving the ACC for the Big12 either. And no one is leaving the PAC12 for the Big12 either. BTW what makes you think Texas and/or Oklahoma would sign a new GOR. They would have to be downright nuts to sign on with this dysfunctional conference. The resident morons fail to realize that Texas and Oklahoma are the only members that draw any attention from around the country. WVU belongs in the ACC or SEC. It's a shame they were not included in the final expansion plan for the ACC.

It sounds like OU is 100% behind expansion. Boren can't think a network is just going to give us a huge bump in pay for expansion and a CCG and not expect an updated/extended GOR in exchange. Texas is likely not behind this, but the other ADs aren't stupid. They know what will happen in 10 years if Texas doesn't buy in on this. Texas' refusal to sign on will send everyone packing, which will destabilize everything with no assurance than any conference will take Texas plus the other schools they are stuck bringing with them (TTech, likely Baylor) on short notice with the LHN being a deal breaker for the ACC and Pac12 in the very recent past.

Texas' best move would be to sign and wait for the someone to contest the GOR at some date (someone will). Then a "buy out" will be established (buy out = damages to the network in question) and then Texas can decide if it's worth it to leave. My guess is that within the next 10 years, the P5 teams will leave the NCAA and keep all the BBall tourney money and playoff money for themselves. They will negotiate with the networks as a singular entity like the NFL and then the carousel stops turning finally. Then they will reorganize the teams based on geography because everyone will be making the same amount of money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT