ADVERTISEMENT

A Hokie's Take on the Game

lucustookis

Redshirting
Jul 7, 2007
As a VT fan, I have to tell you that I feel a bit opposite than some of you on this board. I've been reading where VT should have won the game. I didn't see it that way. I think we were fortunate to win and think if we play 10 times, you guys win 7-8 of the 10. The freshmen QB we have is going to be very good, but all odds says he should have had 1 turnover in the game, whether it be a bad pass or a QB/Center exchange. This is almost always inevitable with a freshmen QB in game one. We were fortunate there and somewhat lucky.

Key factors in the game were...
1. Why on earth did Holgersen not go for it on 4th and 1? WVU had been moving the ball at will and we were completely done it on defense. Completely gassed and WVU was pushing our DL 5 yards off the ball. Grier could have simply fell forward and would have got 3 yards easy. That was a wrong decision.

2. Our punter. I have no idea how we got this kid out of Australia, but he flipped the field 4 times. He's a freshmen.

3. A huge variable that may have actually cost WVU the football game were the cramps. With the up tempo offense and our little to zero depth on the DL, they were done in. They were gassed and had no answer for the WVU offense in the late 3rd and early 4th. The WVU training staff did a stupid job at not getting their injured players off the field. Now I know, you have to be safe and make sure the kid isn't hurt, but once they could see it was a cramp, they made a major mistake by allowing the WVU player to lay there on the field. The WVU coaching staff should have told the players, if you are cramping, do everything possible to get to the sidelines and not stop the game. Don't let the VT defense rest, especially the front 4 which were done. Of course, WVU wouldn't have much control over VT players cramping up, but WVU seemed to have much more and incredibly, they were timed when WVU had the ball and was moving at will, only to have a cramping injury, a game stoppage of 5-7 minutes, and allowing the VT defense to get a second wind. I truly believe that we don't win the game without those cramps. Of course, we can always point to a certain play or call or gamechangin play or call, but even with all of the gamechanging plays, coaching decisions, and calls by the officials for VT or WVU, I still think none of that would have mattered if WVU didn't have so many cramping issues in the late 3rd and 4th quarters that without question, favored VT and allowed the D to get their breath. I just couldn't believe the WVU staff was allowing the WVU players to stay on the field that long on the ground with a cramp. It happened two times to WVU when WVU was on offense, driving and had our D gassed, only to have a WVU player get a cramp, and it resulted in one stoppage of the game for 8 minutes, and the other one was 6 minutes. Both of those led to VT's defensive front resting and getting stops on the WV offense that they would not have got without the game stoppages.

In summary, two tough teams out there. I think we are both 8 and 4 and 9-4 teams. WVU isn't losing over 3 in the Big 12, and we will lose 3 in the regular season with Clemson, and 2 more be it Miami, GT, UNC, Pittsburgh, but we will win the Coastal and go in at 9-3, then lose to Clemson for a 2nd time in the ACC Title Game and finish the regular season/post ACC Title game at 9-4.

Last edited:
As a VT fan, I have to tell you that I feel a bit opposite than some of you on this board. I've been reading where VT should have won the game. I didn't see it that way. I think we were fortunate to win and think if we play 10 times, you guys win 7-8 of the 10. The freshmen QB we have is going to be very good, but all odds says he should have had 1 turnover in the game, whether it be a bad pass or a QB/Center exchange. This is almost always inevitable with a freshmen QB in game one. We were fortunate there and somewhat lucky.

1. Why on earth did Holgersen not go for it on 4th and 1? WVU had been moving the ball at will and we were completely done it on defense. Completely gassed and WVU was pushing our DL 5 yards off the ball. Grier could have simply fell forward and would have got 3 yards easy. That was a wrong decision.

2. Our punter. I have no idea how we got this kid out of Australia, but he flipped the field 4 times. He's a freshmen.

3. A huge variable that may have actually cost WVU the football game were the cramps. With the up tempo offense and our little to zero depth on the DL, they were done in. They were gassed and had no answer for the WVU offense in the late 3rd and early 4th. The WVU training staff did a stupid job at not getting their injured players off the field. Now I know, you have to be safe and make sure the kid isn't hurt, but once they could see it was a cramp, they made a major mistake by allowing the WVU player to lay there on the field. The WVU coaching staff should have told the players, if you are cramping, do everything possible to get to the sidelines and not stop the game. Don't let the VT defense rest, especially the front 4 which were done. Of course, WVU wouldn't have much control over VT players cramping up, but WVU seemed to have much more and incredibly, they were timed when WVU had the ball and was moving at will, only to have a cramping injury, a game stoppage of 5-7 minutes, and allowing the VT defense to get a second wind. I truly believe that we don't win the game without those cramps. Of course, we can always point to a certain play or call or gamechangin play or call, but even with all of the gamechanging plays, coaching decisions, and calls by the officials for VT or WVU, I still think none of that would have mattered if WVU didn't have so many cramping issues in the late 3rd and 4th quarters that without question, favored VT and allowed the D to get their breath. I just couldn't believe the WVU staff was allowing the WVU players to stay on the field that long on the ground with a cramp. It happened two times to WVU when WVU was on offense, driving and had our D gassed, only to have a WVU player get a cramp, and it resulted in one stoppage of the game for 8 minutes, and the other one was 6 minutes. Both of those led to VT's defensive front resting and getting stops on the WV offense that they would not have got without the game stoppages.

In summary, two tough teams out there. I think we are both 8 and 4 and 9-4 teams. WVU isn't losing over 3 in the Big 12, and we will lose 3 in the regular season with Clemson, and 2 more be it Miami, GT, UNC, Pittsburgh, but we will win the Coastal and go in at 9-3, then lose to Clemson for a 2nd time in the ACC Title Game and finish the regular season/post ACC Title game at 9-4.
Good game. Wish it was a annual one along with a bunch of other regional teams. Good luck the remainder of the season.

Reactions: WVinUSAF

You lost me at "pittsburgh." You won't lose to pitt. Anyway, He made the right decisions in going for it on the second 4th down try and punting at midfield because there was still 9-plus minutes left in the game. He goes for it and doesn't make it the game is more than likely over well before the end.

DH's big mistake was going for it the first time when he should have kicked it to tie the game up and give the team a boost considering it was the first game of the year. Just get points on the board that early in the game. His second big mistake was taking a 15 yd penalty and killing any chance of driving for at least a FG. Take those two possible field goals and we're only down one at the end and kicking to win.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
Good take on this. Special teams definitely bit us....again. I think both teams are going to be really successful this year. I like how 1 game has already determined the season for some of these clowns.....

ADVERTISEMENT