ADVERTISEMENT

A great article in Steeler Digest re: Zach

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
Some excerpts:

* "Zach Frazier has an innate ability to move, displace and bury defenders. He's been an elite finisher already and gets my vote for best rookie OL in the league through three weeks." -- Brandon Thorn, OL Masterminds.

* "It may soon be time to stop calling Zach Frazier a 'future Pro Bowler' because he very well may just make it as a rookie. Dude is an absolute mauler in the run game." -- Mike Kennedy, Pro Football Focus.

* "Said it at the time, saying it again, BEST CENTER IN THE DRAFT!" -- Duke Manyweather, OL Masterminds.

* "How many knockdowns would Zach get? I lost track at 10... Steelers sure know what a great CENTER looks like. Mike Webster would be proud of Zach's debut." -- Brian Baldinger, NFL Network.

Speaking of Webster, that's the comparison Steelers radio analyst and former guard Craig Wolfley would like to make. He's understandably hesitant.
"I hate to put it out there because it's way too early," said Wolfley, "but you can't help the comparisons that run in your gourd. When I see Zach, he's got that finishing attitude that Mike Webster always had. I mean, Mike wanted to finish a guy and it was mortal combat from the get-go. He also was very much in control directing traffic down there. You can see that Zach is very fluent and speaks the language of both the front-side/back-side cut-offs and pass protection. He's got it all down there. But what I love about it is just the way he's explosive and is goofy-wrestler strong in so many areas. That really is remarkable. I gotta give it to the young man. I've tried to hold back some of the praise because he's rather remarkable in what he's doing, and I just got off a call with the great Dermontti Dawson and he's got some explosiveness like Dermontti Dawson as well.

"We'll see. I want to just wait and watch, but when you see what he did to Grady Jarrett, when you watch what he did to the Chargers' nose tackle; gadzooks! He took him off the ball nine yards by himself. Who does that? You don't see that from centers."

Baldinger comes out with a highlight package of Frazier every week on Twitter. And after Week 3, Baldinger nicknamed him "Matt" Frazier because he's taking so many to the mat.

"I prefer Morgantown Mauler because he'd rather throw ya than know ya," Wolfley said. "You can see it as he's finishing blocks, because when he gets a guy going, he will actually rotate and throw a guy. Just watching his power and ability to get 320-pounders going in another direction is just amazing.

Needless to say, it was an absolutely glowing profile. His teammates could not say enough good things about him. Morgantown Mauler, I like the sound of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.