ADVERTISEMENT

5 Rule Changes

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
Let's add this one: the clock does not stop on an incomplete pass or a player running out of bounds. The game clock is continuous except for change of possession, after a field goal or by the official calling time out (also includes media time out every 8 minutes of clock time or 2 changes of possession, TV gets 1 minute for commercials).

Teams get three 30-second time outs per half and can only be called from the sidelines, not by players on the field. Play clock is 30 seconds.

A 15 minute quarter now takes about 25 minutes to play plus a 15 minute half time. Two hour games are now possible.

Let's add this one: the clock does not stop on an incomplete pass or a player running out of bounds. The game clock is continuous except for change of possession, after a field goal or by the official calling time out (also includes media time out every 8 minutes of clock time or 2 changes of possession, TV gets 1 minute for commercials).

Teams get three 30-second time outs per half and can only be called from the sidelines, not by players on the field. Play clock is 30 seconds.

A 15 minute quarter now takes about 25 minutes to play plus a 15 minute half time. Two hour games are now possible.
No - No - As far as I am concerned that would change the fabric of the game.

No - No - As far as I am concerned that would change the fabric of the game.

With concerns over concussions already lowering youth participation, the slowness of the game also loses the interest of the younger people. Baseball is trying to combat the same issues, soccer is growing rapidly with the younger folk as it is non-stop action. The video game generation demands this.

Football, especially College Football, is at its height of popularity. But baseball was once the "National Pastime". Now it is second fiddle. Football needs to pay attention before the same thing happens and they are second to soccer in another 5-10 years.

I like the concept of a continuous running clock but in a different way. It would have to be done with a corresponding increase in the length of the quarters so that the average number of plays would be about the same. It would also need to stoppages for out of bounds, incompletions, and first downs at the end of each half to support 4 minute drill. The advantage of this rule would be that games would take about the same length of time. There would be no 2:45 minute games or 4:00 hour games.

I don't like really any of the rule changes. I think the game is fine right now except for defensive lineman/LBers/etc faking cramps to slow down the offenses.

There's 1 sec school that is notorious for this from the state of Louisiana. It's embarrassing. It is a joke. If your cramps or pain caused the game to stop you should ha e to sit out for the next 10 plays your unit is on the field or your team has to burn a timeout to drag your butt off the field.

I don't want to have a continuous clock on incompletions or out of bounds plays. As a paying customer, I want as many plays as I can from my 18" of real estate at New Mountaineer Field. The NFL gives less plays per game cause they don't do hurry up offenses (except Chip Kelly). College football is a better bargain with more plays.

JMHO As for the concussions in football, specifically the NFL, I don't think you need rule changes as much as better drug testing for HGH, PEDs, and Roids. A lot of the domestic violence in the NFL (see Ray Rice & Greg Hardy as a prime examples) has to be linked to an over abundance of testosterone from drugs.

These guys are bigger, faster, and stronger, and Lyle Alzado RIP once said "min 80% of the league is on banned stuff." I think that's why concussions are such an issue. The skull and brain doesn't get stronger. They weren't near the issue in the early 70s before the steroids became as rampant. Again JMO.

With concerns over concussions already lowering youth participation, the slowness of the game also loses the interest of the younger people. Baseball is trying to combat the same issues, soccer is growing rapidly with the younger folk as it is non-stop action. The video game generation demands this.

Football, especially College Football, is at its height of popularity. But baseball was once the "National Pastime". Now it is second fiddle. Football needs to pay attention before the same thing happens and they are second to soccer in another 5-10 years.
Sorry, I'm technically part of the early video game generation and "non-stop action" and "soccer" don't belong together in a sentence unless "doesn't exist in" is between them.

1. Coaches can now be ejected (Rule 9-2-6)
2. Defenders can't trip the ball carrier anymore (Rule 9-1-2c)
3. Any runner "giving himself up" is now considered "defenseless" (Rule 2-27-14)

4. Low hits on the passer are clarified (Rule 9-1-9b)
5. Fake field goal loophole tightened up, but with a new gray area (Rule 2-16-10)

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/7/13/12113306/college-football-rules-changes-2016

Holgorsen will need to practice rule #1
Defenders can't trip ball carriers? How in the hell is that supposed to be enforced? What is concluded to be incidental contact and not? What about shoe-string tackles? That's technically tripping the carrier.

Defenders can't trip ball carriers? How in the hell is that supposed to be enforced? What is concluded to be incidental contact and not? What about shoe-string tackles? That's technically tripping the carrier.

I have no idea. I didn't write them. But yes it would be hard to enforce.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT