ADVERTISEMENT

4-team drag on WVU's rankings and national perception

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001

It’s possible that WVU’s victories will come over 4 teams that might not win 4 games combined this season.

East Carolina, Delaware State, Kansas and Baylor at 1-11 so far. It’s not too far-fetched that these 4 teams will not win 3 more games combined for the rest of the season.

That isn’t going to help WVU’s rankings or shot at the national playoffs.

Kansas (1-2)

Kansas beat Southeast Missouri, 38-16

Kansas lost to Central Michigan, 45-27

Kansas lost to Ohio University, 42-30

East Carolina (0-3)

East Carolina lost to James Madison, 34-14

East Carolina lost to West Virginia, 56-20

East Carolina lost to Virginia Tech, 64-17

Delaware State (0-3)

Delaware State lost to Delaware, 22-3

Delaware State lost to Hampton, 28-15

Delaware State lost to West Virginia, 59-16

Baylor (0-3)

Baylor lost to Liberty, 48-45

Baylor lost to Texas San Antonio, 17-10

M angy special teams + absence of Simms & Long = loss to Virginia Tech, 31-24

O bliterated East Carolina, 56-20

U nhinged Delaware State, 59-16

N apalm Kansas

T errorize TCU

A nnihilate Texas Tech

I ncinerate Baylor

N ullify Oklahoma State

E rectile dysfunction Iowa State

E masculate Kansas State

R eam Texas

S hock Oklahoma

Baylor lost to Duke, 34-20

Normally I would call bullcrap, but I think we will be in every game we play. If our STs get decent, this is a scary team.

Offensively, I agree with you. This could be a scary team (not yet, but it could be). Defensively, we're not even close. All the teams in contention for the CFP are good devensively. That's what separates the men from the boys. In this regard, we're still pretenders. With, better things to come.

It is much to early in the season to predict what kind of team the Mountaineers have. The game with VT didn't do it and the wins over ECU and DS didn't do it. Let's have fun with the season and just watch it play out. Entertainment? Let's hope the Mountaineers provide the fans entertainment. That's all the games are any halz. Expensive entertainment. Warez

As long as we beat OU/OSU/TCU nothing else will matter
And, maybe, Texas Tech.

M angy special teams + absence of Simms & Long = loss to Virginia
Tech, 31-24

N apalm Kansas

T errorize TCU

A nnihilate Texas Tech

I ncinerate Baylor

N ullify Oklahoma State

E masculate Kansas State

R eam Texas

S hock Oklahoma

It is much to early in the season to predict what kind of team the Mountaineers have. The game with VT didn't do it and the wins over ECU and DS didn't do it. Let's have fun with the season and just watch it play out. Entertainment? Let's hope the Mountaineers provide the fans entertainment. That's all the games are any halz. Expensive entertainment. Warez

If WVU continues winning then the playoff committee should take into consideration that the Tech game, which came down to 2 pass incompletions from the 15, did not have Simms and Long, who will be in the lineup as WVU wins against teams like TCU, Texas Tech, hopefully Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. The committee gave Ohio State the "best team at the end of the season" benefit, so WVU, if the committee is applying the same standard to WVU, should be considered on the basis of having Simms and Long, thus reducing the impact of the very close loss to Virginia Tech. If not, then the committee is just lying about how they select the teams.

M angy special teams + absence of Simms & Long = loss to Virginia Tech, 31-24

N apalm Kansas

T errorize TCU

A nnihilate Texas Tech

I ncinerate Baylor

N ullify Oklahoma State

E masculate Kansas State

R eam Texas

S hock Oklahoma

running up a lot of points against delaware state and east carolina isn't the stuff to conjure up dreams of a playoff team. gotta start winning the games that are "even" and more importantly, against ranked opponents...something DH coached teams haven't done effectively.

ADVERTISEMENT