ADVERTISEMENT

WVU will be earning more than $50 million annually by the end of the current television contracts

wbgvwbgv

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2001
By comparison, West Virginia’s share during its first year in the league, 2012-13, was $11 million. Last year it was $14 million.

And that’s still just an 84 percent share of a full slice of the pie. As part of the league’s restructuring, new members WVU and TCU received 50 percent shares the first year, up to 67 percent last year and now 84 percent. Next year both schools will receive 100 percent shares.

A 100 percent share this year, which went to the eight other league members, was $27 million, and by next year could be even more. That $27 million figure is an increase of $4 million from last year and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Friday to expect similar — or even greater — increases in the future.

“We have a pretty significant ramp-up in the years ahead,’’ Bowlsby said following the conference’s spring meetings in Dallas. “So we’ll move up a similar amount, probably about $4 million per institution between this year and next year. And then it ultimately peaks out at about $44 million per school in the late stages of our television agreement. So we feel very good about where we are.’’

The $23 million from the Big 12 is only part of West Virginia’s guaranteed income. It does not include revenue from third-tier media rights, which in WVU’s case is the 12-year contract with IMG, which is in excess of $80 million over the life of the pact. Including the annual revenue from that contract, West Virginia will take in nearly $30 million this year before selling a ticket or banking a single contribution from the Mountaineer Athletic Club, its fundraising arm.

With the jump to a 100 percent share next year, that could mean a total payday of well over $35 million. If the conference’s calculations hold true and Bowlsby’s eventual $44 million payout is correct, West Virginia will be earning more than $50 million annually by the end of the current television contracts

http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20150529/GZ02/150529168

That is $50 million before any ticket sales or contribution from the MAC. Unbelievable!

I have to believe that only the dumbest 2% of our fan base are still questioning Big 12 membership. WVU's athletic future has never been this bright.

Reactions: WVmtnBikEER
I'm super excited to be rolling in the dough while being completely irrelevant. I feel we should be able to brag like UK does about their SEC membership! Oh wait, even a crap football school like UK is actually benefiting from their membership with stadium upgrades that make our widened $100 milllion dollar concourse stairs look like amateur hour.

You guys all act like you're all getting a check with this talk about money that really means nothing to the average fan as it does nothing to improve the product, the ticket prices or the experience.

I'm super excited to be rolling in the dough while being completely irrelevant. I feel we should be able to brag like UK does about their SEC membership! Oh wait, even a crap football school like UK is actually benefiting from their membership with stadium upgrades that make our widened $100 milllion dollar concourse stairs look like amateur hour.

You guys all act like you're all getting a check with this talk about money that really means nothing to the average fan as it does nothing to improve the product, the ticket prices or the experience.

You must eat sour pickles for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Go root for Marshall then.

Clearly you are in the 2% or a Marshall Troll. And if it irritates you that WVU can now afford to make facility improvements, provide athletes the true cost of attending college, pay and retain good coaches, and compete at the highest level, then you are just going to have to live with it because the money will be flowing for a long time.

Did you see the basketball arena Kentucky is building?

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/check-out-the-new-rupp-arena-renderings-and-video/

Last edited:
Clearly you are in the 2% or a Marshall Troll. And if it irritates that WVU can now afford to make facility improvements, provide athletes the true cost of attending college, pay and retain good coaches, and compete at the highest level, then you are just going to have to live with it because the money will be flowing for a long time.

Did you see the basketball arena Kentucky is building? Very impressive!

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/check-out-the-new-rupp-arena-renderings-and-video/

That basketbal arena plan went south a couple of years ago.

How is every game being televised, athletics being Financially fiscally responsible & secure, being ranked in the Top 25 while playing a murder's row Schedule (that's for both Football & basketball), and beating teams ranked in the top 25 (that Football and basketball) make WVU "irrelevant"?

This is the best time to be a WVU fan in my lifetime. No cupcakes and the conference is all sports where every school & fanbase is all in. If you can't hang with the Big dawgs, go root for an AAC or ACC or C-DOA school that is wining 10 games or more vs the who's who of who gives a darn cause they're nobody worth mentioning!

That basketbal arena plan went south a couple of years ago.

That is a shame. I just looked up an article where the Mayor halted the project last year. I wonder what they are planning on doing in the future?

By comparison, West Virginia’s share during its first year in the league, 2012-13, was $11 million. Last year it was $14 million.

And that’s still just an 84 percent share of a full slice of the pie. As part of the league’s restructuring, new members WVU and TCU received 50 percent shares the first year, up to 67 percent last year and now 84 percent. Next year both schools will receive 100 percent shares.

A 100 percent share this year, which went to the eight other league members, was $27 million, and by next year could be even more. That $27 million figure is an increase of $4 million from last year and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Friday to expect similar — or even greater — increases in the future.

“We have a pretty significant ramp-up in the years ahead,’’ Bowlsby said following the conference’s spring meetings in Dallas. “So we’ll move up a similar amount, probably about $4 million per institution between this year and next year. And then it ultimately peaks out at about $44 million per school in the late stages of our television agreement. So we feel very good about where we are.’’

The $23 million from the Big 12 is only part of West Virginia’s guaranteed income. It does not include revenue from third-tier media rights, which in WVU’s case is the 12-year contract with IMG, which is in excess of $80 million over the life of the pact. Including the annual revenue from that contract, West Virginia will take in nearly $30 million this year before selling a ticket or banking a single contribution from the Mountaineer Athletic Club, its fundraising arm.

With the jump to a 100 percent share next year, that could mean a total payday of well over $35 million. If the conference’s calculations hold true and Bowlsby’s eventual $44 million payout is correct, West Virginia will be earning more than $50 million annually by the end of the current television contracts

That is $50 million before any ticket sales or contribution from the MAC. Unbelievable!

. . . next phase of facility projects

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — There’s nothing quite as grand as the basketball practice facility or the football program’s weight room or team meeting room on the way, but the Mountaineer Athletic Club is working on the next wave of smaller items to benefit West Virginia.

The history of sparkling projects does make life easier for the athletic department’s fundraising arm, though.

“We’ve got a ton of momentum with the projects we’ve completed over the last five or six years, and donors are excited about the progress,” said Matt Borman, a senior associate athletic director and the MAC’s executive director.

“We can walk them through some of the facilities and the renovations and the construction we’ve done the past few years and show them that when we do something at this point in the history of WVU athletics, it’s going to be first-class and they’re going to be proud to have their names associated with it.”

The MAC’s current priority is redesigning the football team’s practice complex behind the indoor practice facility. The area features a grass field and extra space off to the side for drills. It’s a $1.8 million job, and Borman said the money “came together pretty quickly” after the end of the season.

The grass practice field became a major area of concern last summer when players kept slipping and falling during a preseason practice. Some players said they were worried about their safety on the field. The Mountaineers didn’t use the field again, though they don’t practice there often because the grass wears quickly and doesn’t recover.

Coach Dana Holgorsen has been critical of available practice space for far longer, though. The indoor facility doesn’t have a regulation-sized field, and the building is narrow enough to create cramped practice conditions. Holgorsen also doesn’t think teams should practice regularly in their home stadiums because it minimizes the novelty he believes should be reserved for a game day.

The new project won’t fix all the concerns, but it should allow WVU to practice outside more.

“It’s going to be pretty much the same space up there with a turf and grass combination,” Borman said. “We want to try to get grass up there in some spot, maybe half the field, so we make sure that when we do play a game on a natural surface we have a place to practice.”

Borman said that has to be finished in time for spring football next year, when WVU won’t have access to Mountaineer Field because that’s due to be renovated in the offseason. The Mountaineers will remove the crown beneath the playing surface and put down new artificial turf for the 2016 season.

That project, as well as the more significant concourse renovations, are being covered by the $106 million bond passed last year. The concourse project, which will create more space, more restrooms and concession areas and improved box seats, will likely require two offseasons to complete.

The football team’s training room, which is typically a place WVU skips when giving recruits a tour, is also due for a $4 million renovation. The men’s basketball team will have a complete renovation of its locker room. The corridor that leads to the men’s and women’s locker rooms will also be refurbished. That’s a $1.25 million project, though Borman said one donor stepped forward to fund that alone.

In addition, the men’s golf teams starts playing this fall, and the new sport is a new challenge for Borman and his team. There’s a 2,000-square foot studio in the Coliseum that features a simulator and space for putting and chipping, and that was done without help from the MAC. The MAC’s help is coming, though.

“A golf facility is definitely a priority,” Borman said. “We need to get them a place to practice and hit balls and make sure it’s an indoor facility so they can practice in the winter. We’re still trying to locate a site (off campus), and the price is going to be somewhere between $2-3 million, but we’re looking forward to getting started on that.”

http://www.charlestondailymail.com/article/20150614/DM03/150619619

CCQ6lyeUwAAhcIT.jpg:large

Last edited:
I love it. I'm on the same username here for the last 5 years but as soon as I point out how we've fallen apart I get labeled a "Marshall Troll". Some serious cognitive dissonance going on these days by our fans to actually be pleased with the last 3 years.

Reactions: 43rd Parallel
I love it. I'm on the same username here for the last 5 years but as soon as I point out how we've fallen apart I get labeled a "Marshall Troll". Some serious cognitive dissonance going on these days by our fans to actually be pleased with the last 3 years.

Your 348 postings over 5 years have mostly been recognized as troll postings. We have Marshall trolls that have been here for 10 years so you are nothing special. Although we don't win every game (and never will in a power conference), we have had some great football wins over the last three years playing some of the best schools in the country (ex. Baylor last year). And in basketball, the win over Kansas was special this year along with reaching the Sweet Sixteen. If you think playing an extremely weak schedule, competing at a low level, and winning most of your games means success then just follow Marshall.

If you are referencing Football and basketball how has WVU fallen apart?

You need to realize something called Strength of Schedule and it tells a story.

The last 3 seasons WVU has finished the regular season & post season (depending upon when WVUs season ended) with a SOS (Jeff Saragin) of 29, 9, & 12, Average of 13.33.

The last 3 seasons in big East 3.0 WVU had a post season SOS (Jeff Saragin) of 31, 60, & 57, Average of 49.33.

See the difference?

If you want to root for or follow a school that plays absolutely no one worth a darn, then WVU is not the school for you to follow. Allow me to say you wont be missed.

Btw Vernon how do I add someone to the ignore list under this new format and website presentation? I enjoy the site better when I don't have to waste time explaining things multiple times.

Don't worry you're not alone, as Vernon wrote, the fans can't spend the money the school makes..College Football has turned us all into TV money whores.

Think how great it would be if scholarships, facilities, salaries, and everything else were free. We wouldn't need any revenue from TV or radio or ticket sales or any donations. Life would be so simple and carefree.

Resting.jpg

Don't worry you're not alone, as Vernon wrote, the fans can't spend the money the school makes..College Football has turned us all into TV money whores.

The money the school makes is really the money the school uses to operate the sports programs that attract the fans. No money - no sports programs - no fans.

Think how great it would be if scholarships, facilities, salaries, and everything else were free. We wouldn't need any revenue from TV or radio or ticket sales or any donations. Life would be so simple and carefree.

Resting.jpg
I get it..anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot..you are that guy who is always right..the smartest man in the room.

iu

I told you so!!!

I get it..anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot..you are that guy who is always right..the smartest man in the room.

you nailed it. that guy is the single reason i have not bought a blue lot membership. why he/she is allowed to stick around here is perplexing... bad business

you nailed it. that guy is the single reason i have not bought a blue lot membership. why he/she is allowed to stick around here is perplexing... bad business

LMAO. Are you a graduate of the Furfari School of Athletic Finances?

The Houston Dynamos won back to back MLS championships during Luck's tenure and the team now play in a new $100 million soccer stadium. The Dynamos had also become the 4th most valuable soccer franchise because of Luck worth over $125 million in 2013.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fl.eer

I don't see how you can say that widening the concourse, adding gates, adding concessions, and adding restrooms doesn't improve a fan's gameday experience.

Let's set the record straight.

1. Oliver Luck is the most qualified athletic director in WVU history, and arrived at a critical time in WVU sports history.
2. WVU is VERY fortunate to be in a Power-5 conference. Again, a bow to Oliver Luck and his Southwest connections.
3. The annual payout, from $9.9 million to $30 million this year (including IMF deal that dwarfs the John Raese sweetheart deals), and growing toward $50 million down the road has to be a big help.
4. No, ticket prices will NOT come down. Neither will MAC donation requirements. Nor should they. Not if you want a quality program.
5. Mountaineer Field desperately needs concourse improvement. There must be space between those at the concession stands and those heading for the restrooms. WVU fans must not continue to be forced to elbow their ways past each other.
6. You'll notice that I don't agree with Mickey, my friend since the mid-1950s. But even Mickey is OK with that. He continually tells me "you don't have to agree with me." Since Mickey is gracious about excepting contrary opinion, it's too bad some on here don't reciprocate, and spew hatred, ageism remarks just because they, like me, don't agree with Mickey.
7. Mickey has WVU's interests at heart more than most of those who criticize him. That doesn't mean he has to drink the Kool-Aid when he thinks it's piss.
8. I am thrilled at WVU's financial situation, but deeply concerned about Dana's ability to be in the top half of the Big 12 consistently. After all, he has been 4th once and lower that, even 7th, in other seasons.
9. If Dana couldn't win in the Big 12 with the best offense trio in WVU history -- Geno, Tavon and Stedman -- is it disloyal to worry that he may never do it?

....3. ...Since Mickey is gracious about excepting contrary opinion, it's too bad some on here don't reciprocate, and spew hatred, ageism remarks just because they, like me, don't agree with Mickey.
7. Mickey has WVU's interests at heart more than most of those who criticize him. That doesn't mean he has to drink the Kool-Aid when he thinks it's piss.

First off...the 'Kool-Aid', as you use the term, is actually poison. ...and many would argue that Flavor-Aid (or 'ade') would be more accurate. Point being that most people don't even understand the ref....

Mickey may accept contrary opinion but he's certainly not respectful (and manipulates truths) when expressing his..... ...the big diff being we're sharing ours on an Internet forum while his are being printed. He's the 'professional'....we're just emotional fans.

....you know.... Don't forget the little things (that really matter)...while you're setting the record straight.....

I love how the walmart crowd will question the fandom of people on here simply because they don't spend every waking moment obsessing about WVU sports.

Want a rundown of my fandom?

• Freshman in 2001 living in Braxton Towers when the trade centers were hit. Several friends from NY/NJ/DC areas were personally impacted. I recall having my bags inspected by future WVU Student Body President Chris Gregory (and douchebag) when trying to enter Towers in the days following
  • Lived in Sunnyside, off of Beechurst and on High Street during my tenure
  • Attended my upper classman classes in Woodburn and my graduation ceremony was shared with Joe Herber. More parents took pictures of him than of their own children
  • Stormed Sunnyside in 2002 after the VT victory. Stormed Mountaineer Field in 2003 after the VT victory
  • Attend at least one home game a year and any game played in the DC area. Was there for the MD blowout 2 years ago... that sucked
  • Watched us kill Arizona at the Verizon Center back in 2009.
  • Attend about every damn WVU function in the DC area there is. Won tickets to the Baylor game at one of them last year and ended up dancing on TV while we routed them

So tell me more about how you mullet headed freaks from Beckley, Doddridge or Boone who never actually set for on campus without holding a miller lite are somehow better fans than me?

Your resume includes (opens with) the Towers being hit...

....impressive.

The rest of us can only imagine how you dealt with it.......

"9. If Dana couldn't win the Big 12 with the best offensive trio in school history - Geno, Tavon, & Stedman - is it disloyal to worry he may never do it?"

No but it certainly calls into question your judgement on who the best offensive trio in school history is. Give me Bulger, Amos, & Saunders anyday. Heck Id take Pat, Steve, & Darius over the trio you picked. I'd even take Jake, Robert, & Bakerr/Hill (pick either) cause they could run the ball & block.

No offense to Geno, but he played in a great system for yds. He's not even close to being the top qb ever at WVU. Hes not even the best to wear #12 (Oliver).

1. Oliver Luck is the most qualified athletic director in WVU history, and arrived at a critical time in WVU sports history.
2. WVU is VERY fortunate to be in a Power-5 conference. Again, a bow to Oliver Luck and his Southwest connections.
3. The annual payout, from $9.9 million to $30 million this year (including IMF deal that dwarfs the John Raese sweetheart deals), and growing toward $50 million down the road has to be a big help.
4. No, ticket prices will NOT come down. Neither will MAC donation requirements. Nor should they. Not if you want a quality program.
5. Mountaineer Field desperately needs concourse improvement. There must be space between those at the concession stands and those heading for the restrooms. WVU fans must not continue to be forced to elbow their ways past each other.
6. You'll notice that I don't agree with Mickey, my friend since the mid-1950s. But even Mickey is OK with that. He continually tells me "you don't have to agree with me." Since Mickey is gracious about excepting contrary opinion, it's too bad some on here don't reciprocate, and spew hatred, ageism remarks just because they, like me, don't agree with Mickey.
8. I am thrilled at WVU's financial situation, but deeply concerned about Dana's ability to be in the top half of the Big 12 consistently. After all, he has been 4th once and lower that, even 7th, in other seasons.
9. If Dana couldn't win in the Big 12 with the best offense trio in WVU history -- Geno, Tavon and Stedman -- is it disloyal to worry that he may never do it?

Hard to imagine anything said in this thread about Furfari to be construed as hate. It seems that when you disagree with your good friend it is a respectful difference of opinion and when other disagree with him it is hate. IMO, it doesn't get any more mean-spirited and bitter than the hate filled articles that Furfari attaches his name too. He has lost all credibility with WVU's fan base and alumni, and his conduct over the years has been shameful.

Mickey doesn't have WVU or the student athletes best interest at heart. He looks out for himself and tried (but failed) to defend the old boys network within the athletic department. That network was very corrupt and one can only imagine the quid pro quo that Furfari solicited for his services over the years.

I still remember his article about the athletic department's operating losses a few years ago. He conveniently forgot to mention the Big East exit fees and ignored the future Big 12 expected returns which WVU is now enjoying. It was sheer deception and falsehood, and thus the comment about the Furfari School of Athletic Finances

His disrespectfulness to our new coaches, his demeaning comments about our new conference, the fabricated articles, the lies, etc., etc. has resulted in him now being viewed as nothing more than an embarrassment to the University and the State.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
I love how the walmart crowd will question the fandom of people on here simply because they don't spend every waking moment obsessing about WVU sports.

Want a rundown of my fandom?

• Freshman in 2001 living in Braxton Towers when the trade centers were hit. Several friends from NY/NJ/DC areas were personally impacted. I recall having my bags inspected by future WVU Student Body President Chris Gregory (and douchebag) when trying to enter Towers in the days following
  • Lived in Sunnyside, off of Beechurst and on High Street during my tenure
  • Attended my upper classman classes in Woodburn and my graduation ceremony was shared with Joe Herber. More parents took pictures of him than of their own children
  • Stormed Sunnyside in 2002 after the VT victory. Stormed Mountaineer Field in 2003 after the VT victory
  • Attend at least one home game a year and any game played in the DC area. Was there for the MD blowout 2 years ago... that sucked
  • Watched us kill Arizona at the Verizon Center back in 2009.
  • Attend about every damn WVU function in the DC area there is. Won tickets to the Baylor game at one of them last year and ended up dancing on TV while we routed them

So tell me more about how you mullet headed freaks from Beckley, Doddridge or Boone who never actually set for on campus without holding a miller lite are somehow better fans than me?

LOL. Who are you trying to convince with your unsolicited internet researched facts - yourself?

Hard to imagine anything said in this thread about Furfari to be construed as hate. It seems that when you disagree with your good friend it is a respectful difference of opinion and when other disagree with him it is hate. IMO, it doesn't get any more mean-spirited and bitter than the hate filled articles that Furfari attaches his name too. He has lost all credibility with WVU's fan base and alumni, and his conduct over the years has been shameful.

Mickey doesn't have WVU or the student athletes best interest at heart. He looks out for himself and tried (but failed) to defend the old boys network within the athletic department. That network was very corrupt and one can only imagine the quid pro quo that Furfari solicited for his services over the years.

I still remember his article about the athletic department's operating losses a few years ago. He conveniently forgot to mention the Big East exit fees and ignored the future Big 12 expected returns which WVU is now enjoying. It was sheer deception and falsehood, and thus the comment about the Furfari School of Athletic Finances

His disrespectfulness to our new coaches, his demeaning comments about our new conference, the fabricated articles, the lies, etc., etc. has resulted in him now being viewed as nothing more than an embarrassment to the University and the State.

There goes your credibility. Mickey can be and is wrong, and I've told him so, but his heart is and always will be with WVU. Yes, Mickey was unhappy with some of his long-time friends being jettisoned under Oliver Luck. But I thought the volleyball, wrestling and baseball changes were good ones. Dana, obviously, has yet to be determined. No one owns Mickey, least of all John Raese, whose check is such a pittance that Raese should be ashamed to have his name attached to it. Mickey writes what he does because it's what he thinks. My point is: Disagree, but don't be disagreeable. I was delighted with Oliver Luck as WVU's athletic director. I'm sorry he's gone, but he saved WVU from the fate of UConn and Cincy, and tripled to quintupled (in time) the athletic department's revenue. God bless Oliver Luck. God less Mickey Furfari.

There goes your credibility. Mickey can be and is wrong, and I've told him so, but his heart is and always will be with WVU. Yes, Mickey was unhappy with some of his long-time friends being jettisoned under Oliver Luck. But I thought the volleyball, wrestling and baseball changes were good ones. Dana, obviously, has yet to be determined. No one owns Mickey, least of all John Raese, whose check is such a pittance that Raese should be ashamed to have his name attached to it. Mickey writes what he does because it's what he thinks. My point is: Disagree, but don't be disagreeable. I was delighted with Oliver Luck as WVU's athletic director. I'm sorry he's gone, but he saved WVU from the fate of UConn and Cincy, and tripled to quintupled (in time) the athletic department's revenue. God bless Oliver Luck. God less Mickey Furfari.
Brother your fonts make my head hurt.

Did you just end your defense of Mickey with a Freudian slip ?

Got me! Mickey haters should have a field day with that one. I say God bless Mickey, too. The guy is coming up on 92 and still kicking. I wish I could do that at his age. Hell, being above ground is accomplishment enough, but to be in a career that began SEVENTY TWO YEARS ago!

ADVERTISEMENT