ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Board of Governors pays $937,500 in media rights settlement

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
Full details: http://wvmetronews.com/2015/06/26/w...vernors-pays-937k-in-media-rights-settlement/

Excerpts:

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — The West Virginia Board of Governors agreed to pay $937,500 to West Virginia Radio Corp. as part of this week’s settlement in the media rights lawsuit.

Described as “partial reimbursement for attorney fees and costs WV Radio in the action,” the payment pertained only to the Board of Governors’ portion of the settlement. Payouts from other defendants—including the WVU Foundation, IMG College and West Virginia Media—have not been disclosed.

According to Friday’s release, “executive level officers and employees” of WVRC and the BOG are prohibited for the next five years from publicly discussing the financial terms of the settlement or revealing any details obtained in the discovery and disclosure phases. Among those specifically named in the gag order are WVRC chairman John Raese and president Dale Miller, along with WVU president Gordon Gee and new athletics director Shane Lyons.

In light of the allegations, WVU said Wednesday it “has undertaken significant, ongoing improvements designed to enhance its procurement function.” Additionally, the university said its Foundation “modified the procedure by which it authorizes disbursements of funds.”

Full details: http://wvmetronews.com/2015/06/26/w...vernors-pays-937k-in-media-rights-settlement/

Excerpts:

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — The West Virginia Board of Governors agreed to pay $937,500 to West Virginia Radio Corp. as part of this week’s settlement in the media rights lawsuit.

Described as “partial reimbursement for attorney fees and costs WV Radio in the action,” the payment pertained only to the Board of Governors’ portion of the settlement. Payouts from other defendants—including the WVU Foundation, IMG College and West Virginia Media—have not been disclosed.

According to Friday’s release, “executive level officers and employees” of WVRC and the BOG are prohibited for the next five years from publicly discussing the financial terms of the settlement or revealing any details obtained in the discovery and disclosure phases. Among those specifically named in the gag order are WVRC chairman John Raese and president Dale Miller, along with WVU president Gordon Gee and new athletics director Shane Lyons.

In light of the allegations, WVU said Wednesday it “has undertaken significant, ongoing improvements designed to enhance its procurement function.” Additionally, the university said its Foundation “modified the procedure by which it authorizes disbursements of funds.”

LOL. That probably won't even cover Raese's legal expenses and I doubt he got anything substantial from IMG or the Foundation. So WVU's contract with IMG remains firmly in place, the allegations of wrong doing vanish (cause they never really existed), and Raese goes back to Florida and his pink marble driveway. What a joke.

iu

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't see why WVU settled and gave him anything. $1 MILLION or near it seems a lot to get someone to go away especially when WVU didn't even have to bid this according to the attorney general (like they had not bid it with Rease for 20 years ).

That is one I don't get.

Of course I don't get the value of radio either. Smart phones and things like the tune in app make local radio an ancient communication day by day. I rarely listen to the local Station. Its like network TV with cable in real time.

ADVERTISEMENT