ADVERTISEMENT

WV style hot dogs... recipe/link... (Happy 4th!!)

Does that really best represent the most popular type/recipe of a WV hotdog?

I'm thinking no.....but I spent most of my years in central NE WV.

I would say yes to the chilli sauce and no to the cole slaw for representing WV.

Slaw is a staple for a dog in Southern West Virginia. The further North you go, the more it is a take it or leave it condiment. Ask old man Yann.

That said, the proper way to make that chili is to boil the burger first while breaking it apart with a whisk. The rest of the recipe looks pretty good.

Everyone knows WV hot dog sauce has no tomatoes (tomato product) in it...

Everyone knows WV hot dog sauce has no tomatoes (tomato product) in it...

Russel (Yann's) says it's perfectly fine to add ketchup.....

He's the person I thought of when the Soup Nazi episode first aired.

------------

The Korner Pocket (also in Fairmont) had dogs made by former owner Roger that could rival Yann's. Both were ALL about the chili... ...and from experience no city/town ever had more hotdog shops than Fairmont. ...which might help explain the obesity problem.

Don't think I have any bias for the town.....I think it's a trashy region but it might be true that it's both the best hotdog AND pepperoni roll representative in the state.

Reactions: The_Foghorn
Russel (Yann's) says it's perfectly fine to add ketchup.....

------------

The Korner Pocket (also in Fairmont) had dogs made by former owner Roger that could rival Yann's. Both were ALL about the chili... ...and from experience no city/town ever had more hotdog shops than Fairmont. ...which might help explain the obesity problem.

Don't think I have any bias for the town.....I think it's a trashy region but it might be true that it's both the best hotdog AND pepperoni roll representative in the state.

For a minute I thought Wendy's was going to be brought up...

Coleslaw (AKA Mayonnaise) on a hot dog? yack....
Then you're probably not a fan of this with your slaw dawg....

Mayo-Fries-opt.jpg

Then there are mexicans in the eastern panhandle. Not too many people outside of that area know about these.

Fairmont...CV News had the best hotdogs around! My grandfather lived right around the corner and we always ordered from them. In fact, my grandfather ordered from them before my dad was born. I hated it when they closed up. We tried getting their recipe and they said no way. No one would get it unless it was family!

I'll never get the love of hot dogs. I can't get over knowing or not knowing what is in the hot dog. You guys got guts eating them things.

Russel (Yann's) .....

I had never thought of this before, but you're spot on. He always seemed annoyed that he had to wait on me and couldn't wait for me to leave.

would never eat a hot dog. Too many part of the cow that can be put in a hot dog for me to want to eat it.

I grind, stuff, & smoke my own brawts. I know whats in every bite.

would never eat a hot dog. Too many part of the cow that can be put in a hot dog for me to want to eat it.

I grind, stuff, & smoke my own brawts. I know whats in every bite.

Sausage (or in this case, hot dog) making is not a pretty process. Much like war, the elements used to create the desired outcome are pre-disposed to be in-elegant but if it tastes good and/or you win... it is all good.

Sorry, this is just not right. First ALL ingredients are important; a good hot dog, good chili AND slaw, and mustard. You can't just use any old thing. As a hot dog connoisseur I can rightly divine a good WVa hot dog and a pretender - this is a pretender. I have had hot dogs all over the world(literally) and while Chicago dogs and others are good but nothing beats a good WVa hot dog. So to help you out, and as a public service, here is the correct recipe.
The West Virginia Slaw Dog Recipe
Many hot dog stands offer coleslaw as an optional topping, commonly called a slawdog, but in much of West Virginia it is required.

The slawdog is a tasty but improbable construct of bun with a beanless ground beef sauce sometimes forming a bed for the frank, sometimes forming a blanket on top, yellow mustard, and finely chopped creamy sweat-sour green cabbage coleslaw crowning it all in place of the sauerkraut found in New York.

Similar slawdogs can be found from Alabama through Georgia into South Carolina and North Carolina (where the slaw has ketchup, hot pepper, and lots of vinegar). A cheap meal with two kinds of meat, veggies, and starch all in one hand.

Slawdog Recipe
Ingredients
8 all-beef frankfurters
8 buns
2 cups Meathead's All-Purpose Hot Dog Chili
Yellow mustard
1 sweet Vidalia onion, chopped
2 cups sweet-sour creamy coleslaw

Do this
1) Prepare the coleslaw (here are two good ones to try: Mayo dressed or sour cream dressed). Prepare the meat sauce.

2) Cook the franks on the grill. Steam the bun. Put the dog in the bun, top with mustard, then the meatsauce, then the onions, then the slaw. The sequence varies from joint to joint, and I've even seen the meat sauce under the dog, but this is the way I like it. So there

Mayo Dressed Slaw

Ingredients for the slaw
1 pound green cabbage (about half a medium cabbage)
1 large carrot, peeled
1/2 small white onion

Optional. Add 1/2 red or green bell pepper, sliced thin or hashed.

Optional. Add 3 radishes, red or white, hot if you like, sliced thin or hashed.

Optional. Add 1 small minced jalapeño if you like it hot. Chipotle powder is another way to amp it up. Horseradish, just a tablespoon in the background, is a surprising addition.

Ingredients for the dressing1 tablespoon distilled vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds (not celery salt)

Do this
1) First, read my article on The Zen of Slawsome Slaw. Then decide how you want to cut the cabbage, carrot, and onion: Chopped, grated, or hashed and have at it. Set them aside. I prefer this recipe shredded or chopped.

2) Whisk together the dressing in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, carrot, and onion. Cover, taste, and adjust seasonings. Chill for at least 1 hour if possible.

And for an additional treat; the DQ in Belle made/makes one of the best WVa dogs or hotdogs not only in WVa but in the world! They use a buttered sliced bun, great hot dog(Nathan's I think), chili and slaw. Never have found anything like it anywhere.

Sorry, this is just not right. First ALL ingredients are important; a good hot dog, good chili AND slaw, and mustard. You can't just use any old thing. As a hot dog connoisseur I can rightly divine a good WVa hot dog and a pretender - this is a pretender. I have had hot dogs all over the world(literally) and while Chicago dogs and others are good but nothing beats a good WVa hot dog. So to help you out, and as a public service, here is the correct recipe.
The West Virginia Slaw Dog Recipe
Many hot dog stands offer coleslaw as an optional topping, commonly called a slawdog, but in much of West Virginia it is required.

The slawdog is a tasty but improbable construct of bun with a beanless ground beef sauce sometimes forming a bed for the frank, sometimes forming a blanket on top, yellow mustard, and finely chopped creamy sweat-sour green cabbage coleslaw crowning it all in place of the sauerkraut found in New York.

Similar slawdogs can be found from Alabama through Georgia into South Carolina and North Carolina (where the slaw has ketchup, hot pepper, and lots of vinegar). A cheap meal with two kinds of meat, veggies, and starch all in one hand.

Slawdog Recipe
Ingredients
8 all-beef frankfurters
8 buns
2 cups Meathead's All-Purpose Hot Dog Chili
Yellow mustard
1 sweet Vidalia onion, chopped
2 cups sweet-sour creamy coleslaw

Do this
1) Prepare the coleslaw (here are two good ones to try: Mayo dressed or sour cream dressed). Prepare the meat sauce.

2) Cook the franks on the grill. Steam the bun. Put the dog in the bun, top with mustard, then the meatsauce, then the onions, then the slaw. The sequence varies from joint to joint, and I've even seen the meat sauce under the dog, but this is the way I like it. So there

Mayo Dressed Slaw

Ingredients for the slaw
1 pound green cabbage (about half a medium cabbage)
1 large carrot, peeled
1/2 small white onion

Optional. Add 1/2 red or green bell pepper, sliced thin or hashed.

Optional. Add 3 radishes, red or white, hot if you like, sliced thin or hashed.

Optional. Add 1 small minced jalapeño if you like it hot. Chipotle powder is another way to amp it up. Horseradish, just a tablespoon in the background, is a surprising addition.

Ingredients for the dressing1 tablespoon distilled vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds (not celery salt)

Do this
1) First, read my article on The Zen of Slawsome Slaw. Then decide how you want to cut the cabbage, carrot, and onion: Chopped, grated, or hashed and have at it. Set them aside. I prefer this recipe shredded or chopped.

2) Whisk together the dressing in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, carrot, and onion. Cover, taste, and adjust seasonings. Chill for at least 1 hour if possible.

And for an additional treat; the DQ in Belle made/makes one of the best WVa dogs or hotdogs not only in WVa but in the world! They use a buttered sliced bun, great hot dog(Nathan's I think), chili and slaw. Never have found anything like it anywhere.
The Hinton DQ uses a similar toasted bun. Excellent dog. I'm from McDowell and I ain't ever had slaw touch my dog. I'm pure mustard, onion and chilli guy . The Chatterbox in downtown Big Four used to have a great dog too. I could walk there as.a kid and have 3 for a dollar if Louie was in a good mood.3 dogs and a Pespi Cola with a paper straw was heaven

Reactions: SawMan
The fact is that we will all eat our dogs in a way that suits our fancy and if they are commercial dogs, we will go to those purveyors that come closest to what we like. If we are making our own and, if you're like me, may use whatever is available but you likely have what you like, need and like on your doggies. Me, personally, like lots of different recipes but favor melted cheddar cheese, chile, jalapenos, a touch of brown spicy mustard, chopped yellow onion and a fresh baked bun... not a packaged version. I like my slaw on the side along with my baked beans. What a great topic to debate in the off season!

ADVERTISEMENT