ADVERTISEMENT

Why would a "smart" school like Purdue invade

What is Purdue overall bowl record compared to WVU, they were playing Big 10 competition when you boys were playing VMI and Richmond!

Purdue is 9-8 in bowl games ... 17 total.

WVU is 14-19 in bowl games ... 33 total.

By percentage, they have a better record, but have competed in half the number of them.

And no BCS wins.

Purdue is 9-8 in bowl games ... 17 total.

WVU is 14-19 in bowl games ... 33 total.

By percentage, they have a better record, but have competed in half the number of them, and if we're being honest, they would mostly be lower tier bowls where they play against MAC teams ... everybody beats MAC teams.

And no BCS wins.
I repeat.. for 60 years they played OSU and Michigan while WVU toiled with Richmond and VMI.

WVU also played against Penn St, Pitt (when they were good), Cuse, VT, Miami, BC, etc. We also defeated the creampuffs like VMI. Richmond, & of course, Marshall.

WVU also played against Penn St, Pitt (when they were good), Cuse, VT, Miami, BC, etc. We also defeated the creampuffs like VMI. Richmond, & of course, Marshall.
They didn't always beat VMI and the Spiders but I 'll grant you that was 60 years ago but still it's a part of history! Actually i seem to remember WVU
beating Purdue in the Nehlen era.

You just revoked any privilege to mention 1-AA titles.
For the first 100 years of Big Ten football....the conference its Champion to the Rose Bowl and that the only Bowl the conference would allowe a representative to play in...imagine going 10-1 and sitting at home!

For the first 100 years of Big Ten football....the conference its Champion to the Rose Bowl and that the only Bowl the conference would allowe a representative to play in...imagine going 10-1 and sitting at home!

I'm not sure how that has anything to do with what I said, but roll with it.

Don't you agree it explains why WVU has been to more overall bowls than Purdue!

No. Because during that time in the Big 10 there were only 6-8 bowls total for everybody to go to. We were an independent for part of that time so had to be chosen at large when other conference champs had tie-ins. Basically we had to be better than everybody not in a conference to get into a bowl, and at that time there were a lot of independents.

You used my quote to respond, but then responded with a different topic. Threw me off.

No. Because during that time in the Big 10 there were only 6-8 bowls total for everybody to go to. We were an independent for part of that time so had to be chosen at large when other conference champs had tie-ins. Basically we had to be better than everybody not in a conference to get into a bowl, and at that time there were a lot of independents.

You used my quote to respond, but then responded with a different topic. Threw me off.
I the gator Bowl in the late 50's was the first outside the Big Four , maybe not seems like the Liberty Bowl has been around forever as well. Sun Bowl maybe around in the mid 50's. Peach Bowl came in the late 60's and WVU played in that a lot it seems. I can't remember whe nthe big 10 opened up bowl participation other than the Rose but seems like it might have been as late as the mid 70's.

I the gator Bowl in the late 50's was the first outside the Big Four , maybe not seems like the Liberty Bowl has been around forever as well. Sun Bowl maybe around in the mid 50's. Peach Bowl came in the late 60's and WVU played in that a lot it seems. I can't remember whe nthe big 10 opened up bowl participation other than the Rose but seems like it might have been as late as the mid 70's.

No smack now because this is interesting. I can't find anything yet that chronologically goes through the history of the bowls. However, in 1953:

1953 College Football Bowl Games
Bowl Winning Team Losing Team
Cotton #6 Rice Owls 28 #13 Alabama Crimson Tide 6
Gator #12 Texas Tech Red Raiders 35 #17 Auburn Tigers 13
Orange #4 Oklahoma Sooners 7 #1 Maryland Terrapins 0
Rose #3 Michigan State Spartans 28 #5 UCLA Bruins 20
Sugar #8 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 42 #10 West Virginia Mountaineers 19
Sun Texas Western Miners 37 Mississippi Southerners 14
Tangerine Arkansas State Indians 7 East Texas State Lions 7

I didn't post it because we were in it, but in 1953, those were the 7 bowls available. WVU was playing in the Southern Conference at that time.

This is the best I could find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_bowl_games

Yeah, an OK St team with both Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders. :)
Wasn't that game played in a driving snowstorm? I seem to rememebr that points were precious in that tilt. I was actually at one of the early Peach Bowls when you played NCSU with Lou Holtz at the helm.

Wasn't that game played in a driving snowstorm? I seem to rememebr that points were precious in that tilt. I was actually at one of the early Peach Bowls when you played NCSU with Lou Holtz at the helm.

Yes, that's exactly right. The "Sun" Bowl, being played in a snowstorm. :) I don't remember when that was exactly but I was probably 10-12 and remember watching it with my dad.

Yes, I recognize that WVU is willing to play MU but only under their terms...which of course MU is not going to concede to. I guess it's hard for us to see WVU as a "top tier P5 school" which is really just a diss of Purdue for signing the 1-1 deal. On historic level WVU is not as good as Purdue. And I repect Mountie football, you boys are good and playing WVU in Morgantown ain't no day a tthe beach for anybody but I don't confuse you with OSU, 'bama, etc.

Nor do I confuse WVU with the top athletic budgets and historical accomplishments of the ultra elite. However, WVU, through the years has proven itself as the 14th winningest college football program in history. WVU has played for 1 1/2 national championships in football, 3 BCS trophy wins, P5 conference, and a self sufficient athletic program. I won't say WVU is an elite program, but they are a top tier program in both football and basketball (which Dan D admitted in a recent interview).....no doubt for the objective viewer.

Marshall could get as many tickets to a Morgantown matchup as they wanted (WVU cannot in Huntington..... WVU fans had to buy Marshall season tickets to get enough tickets and it wasn't enough). Playing MOST games in Morgantown only makes sense, and is more than most P5 schools .... if not all .... would do (Play more than a 1-1 with several years in between with a looming threat of a buyout). We offered a 7 year in a row series with a potential for a 4-3 split. WVU conceded more than any other P5 school would do. Doesn't seem like that offer and anything similar could be considered anything other than, "we tried"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT