ADVERTISEMENT

Why would a "smart" school like Purdue invade

Tonycried

All-American
Aug 6, 2004
Huntington and open the season with the Mighty Herd! Even a "dumb" school like WVU takes a powder when faced with that option! Still, one must respect the courage of the Boilers!

Huntington and open the season with the Mighty Herd! Even a "dumb" school like WVU takes a powder when faced with that option! Still, one must respect the courage of the Boilers!
Don't puss out and then blame us, chicken suit Bob!

We opened with you in 1997 and won 42-31
We opened with you in 2006 and won 42-10
We opened with you in 2011 and won 34-13
We opened with you in 2012 and won 69-34

Can't blame us for wanting to schedule somebody a little more challenging.

Boilermakers are stupid. No way should a P5 team not buy out their contract with Marshall on a deal they made many moons ago. I too am shocked they are coming. Maybe they've sunk SO low, and can't get a conference win, that they'll go anywhere where they have a great chance to notch a win. God knows they won't playing P5 schools. I'd say they will sacrifice pride and money for a win. We did. But, we were made to.

Boilermakers are stupid. No way should a P5 team not buy out their contract with Marshall on a deal they made many moons ago. I too am shocked they are coming. Maybe they've sunk SO low, and can't get a conference win, that they'll go anywhere where they have a great chance to notch a win. God knows they won't playing P5 schools. I'd say they will sacrifice pride and money for a win. We did. But, we were made to.
I know the concept of honoring your word is unheard of in Morgantown...Purdue = Honor and Courage !

I know the concept of honoring your word is unheard of in Morgantown...Purdue = Honor and Courage !
You mean like Marshall backing out of the original agreement with WVU and then lying about it, changing your story every time the lie fell apart? Hypocrite...

How is it possible that a team that is 12-0 against another and doesn't see ANY benefit in continuing the beatings from a recruiting standpoint(Gets any recruit it wants in the area over the other team) to a financial standpoint(Playing higher profile teams in larger stadiums for more coin or at home), get called cowards by a team who intentionally plays the weakest and easiest schedule in D1 football? Explain that to me. Name one benefit to WVU in playing Marshall?

WVU is 12-0 against Marshall and is a coward. But, Marshall is scared to play anyone ranked above 100 and calls others 'cowards'. Who the hell is the most delusional?

Ol' Joe left for the big house on the hill. No one to twist our arms anymore. So home and home is never gonna happen. I have noticed you Herdies talk the most crap when you know that. So keep talking. Because it's been proven that once it turns to action you go home with a loss. And now that loose lipped ignorance is costing you the basketball game as well. I guess you'll be ready to whip our tails in that sport just as soon as the horn blows on the last game.

How is it possible that a team that is 12-0 against another and doesn't see ANY benefit in continuing the beatings from a recruiting standpoint(Gets any recruit it wants in the area over the other team) to a financial standpoint(Playing higher profile teams in larger stadiums for more coin or at home), get called cowards by a team who intentionally plays the weakest and easiest schedule in D1 football? Explain that to me. Name one benefit to WVU in playing Marshall?

WVU is 12-0 against Marshall and is a coward. But, Marshall is scared to play anyone ranked above 100 and calls others 'cowards'. Who the hell is the most delusional?
It's you boys that refuse to play ....what other reason can be deduced?

We don't refuse to play. We do, however, refuse to do what no other P5 school will do either.... Play a 1-1 series with Marshall. Makes no sense. You know this and are actually glad we won't.... like any other P5 won't. Every year we played, we won, and your season went into tailspin. Years we didn't play, you had one less loss and kept your heads in the season for the most part (looking at your records). Every time you lose to WVU you go on a 4-5 game losing streak(basketball included). I'm quite positive why you make offers you know we can't accept, and refuse ones that are reasonable and fair. Marshall so badly wants to be a peer and have peer respect, but knows they aren't and blames WVU for it.

It used to be Marshall would cheat to try to get respect....epic fail. I don't believe they cheat as much anymore. However, they've found out, that playing a schedule of nobodies and racking up a few wins, gets them their 15 SECONDS of fame in a pitiful way, and that's good enough for them. Take a play from Boise St., earn respect by playing and winning against decent competition. Until then, well, you know.

We are done signing your welfare check. You will get the same deal as any other team that's average ranking is around #90 for the past decade and a half...

It just shows you how far Purdue's FB program has fallen off the wayside when they must travel to Methington to play a game. Sad state of affairs for the Boilermakers.

We don't refuse to play. We do, however, refuse to do what no other P5 school will do either.... Play a 1-1 series with Marshall. Makes no sense. You know this and are actually glad we won't.... like any other P5 won't. Every year we played, we won, and your season went into tailspin. Years we didn't play, you had one less loss and kept your heads in the season for the most part (looking at your records). Every time you lose to WVU you go on a 4-5 game losing streak(basketball included). I'm quite positive why you make offers you know we can't accept, and refuse ones that are reasonable and fair. Marshall so badly wants to be a peer and have peer respect, but knows they aren't and blames WVU for it.

It used to be Marshall would cheat to try to get respect....epic fail. I don't believe they cheat as much anymore. However, they've found out, that playing a schedule of nobodies and racking up a few wins, gets them their 15 SECONDS of fame in a pitiful way, and that's good enough for them. Take a play from Boise St., earn respect by playing and winning against decent competition. Until then, well, you know.
We open with Purdue in a 1-1 series...so your premise that " no other P5 will do 1-1 "seems to be inaccurate, not to mention disingenuous!

I have no idea where the 2015 edition of Boilermaker football will finish....but it is undeniable tha they are a P5 from the conference that produced the National Champion last season. You boy chatter on about no other P5 playing MU home and home and yet here you are with a cold slap in the face! Sorry to interject facts into the discussion.

I have no idea where the 2015 edition of Boilermaker football will finish....but it is undeniable tha they are a P5 from the conference that produced the National Champion last season. You boy chatter on about no other P5 playing MU home and home and yet here you are with a cold slap in the face! Sorry to interject facts into the discussion.
You continue to beat your chest about Marshall's ranking LAST SEASON, but Purdue's ranking has no bearing? Quite hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

I'm referring to a year in year out home and home series that you wanted WVU to capitulate to. How many years were between your Purdue games? Obviously, it doesn't follow a consecutive 1-1 format. I could be wrong, but I thought you last played Purdue several years ago and this is their "return" game. My point is, any P5 "series" Marshall schedules will start with Marshall at their place...... several years later...... P5 must come to Huntington. Why do upper tier schools do it that way? They get their home schedule fodder and then determine if it makes financial sense to buyout the return game, and schedule someone more beneficial. Obviously, Purdue doesn't have many options being a bottom feeder P5. When is Ohio St going to return to Huntington? When is Tennessee? OSU and WVU entered a 2 game series and returned to Morgantown to complete the deal. They didn't buy us out.

My point, as previously stated, I too am shocked Purdue 1) Entered a 2 game deal with Marshall and 2) After they got their home win, didn't buy out the game in Huntington.

However, if Marshall can beat Purdue, it'll be their biggest victory in 10 or so years, and one of the biggest in school history. That should make you think.

You continue to beat your chest about Marshall's ranking LAST SEASON, but Purdue's ranking has no bearing? Quite hypocritical, wouldn't you say?
We had a great ranking last season, that is a fact but it has bearing on 2015! We might win 'em all this year or fall flat on our faces.

I'm referring to a year in year out home and home series that you wanted WVU to capitulate to. How many years were between your Purdue games? Obviously, it doesn't follow a consecutive 1-1 format. I could be wrong, but I thought you last played Purdue several years ago and this is their "return" game. My point is, any P5 "series" Marshall schedules will start with Marshall at their place...... several years later...... P5 must come to Huntington. Why do upper tier schools do it that way? They get their home schedule fodder and then determine if it makes financial sense to buyout the return game, and schedule someone more beneficial. Obviously, Purdue doesn't have many options being a bottom feeder P5. When is Ohio St going to return to Huntington? When is Tennessee? OSU and WVU entered a 2 game series and returned to Morgantown to complete the deal. They didn't buy us out.

My point, as previously stated, I too am shocked Purdue 1) Entered a 2 game deal with Marshall and 2) After they got their home win, didn't buy out the game in Huntington.

However, if Marshall can beat Purdue, it'll be their biggest victory in 10 or so years, and one of the biggest in school history. That should make you think.
I don't think we inisisted on a "lifetime " contract, we'd sign a 1- 1 right now and stagger the years like we did with Purdue. but you boys wouldn't go for that...you'd come up with 1000 disingenuous why you couldn't sign that deal.

I don't think we inisisted on a "lifetime " contract, we'd sign a 1- 1 right now and stagger the years like we did with Purdue. but you boys wouldn't go for that...you'd come up with 1000 disingenuous why you couldn't sign that deal.
The haves, who are financially solvent, not wanting to provide more welfare from their pockets, to the have nots, who are supported by the state, is only "disingenuous" in the eyes of the have nots, living off the teet of society...

The haves, who are financially solvent, not wanting to provide more welfare from their pockets, to the have nots, who are supported by the state, is only "disingenuous" in the eyes of the have nots, living off the teet of society...
So it's not about what goes on between the chalk lines...it's about bank accounts!

So it's not about what goes on between the chalk lines...it's about bank accounts!

It's fiscal responsibility, so that an athletic program doesn't have to syphon ... oh, let's just make up a number ... $7M from the taxpayer coffers

The Facts
1) 12-0 is what happened between the chalk lines.
2) WVU's athletic department is self sufficient.
3) Marshall's athletic department is a welfare case.

The Facts
1) 12-0 is what happened between the chalk lines.
2) WVU's athletic department is self sufficient.
3) Marshall's athletic department is a welfare case.
Wait a minute...you just scolded me for stating our 2014 ranking and correctly pointed out that it's irrelevant to 2015. What does a historic WVU-MU score have to do with present times?

Wait a minute...you just scolded me for stating our 2014 ranking and correctly pointed out that it's irrelevant to 2015. What does a historic WVU-MU score have to do with present times?
I didn't scold you or say your ranking was irrelevant toward 2015. I pointed out your hypocrisy in acting like YOUR ranking last year mattered, while Purdue's ranking did not.

Historically, for the past decade and a half, Marshall and Purdue are both very bad football programs. Marshall is also a welfare case. Conversely, over this time period, WVU has a good average ranking and is self sufficient. Watch Tony dance in 3...2...1!

Tony, if you think WVU is remotely "scared" of Marshall, you're fooling yourself. We offered a deal to continue the series. You declined. So, we were willing and able to play. Why not play the game in a larger stadium? You guys brought about as many fans to Morgantown as you do to a game in Huntington. I'd venture to say our turf and locker rooms are superior......stadium amenities...etc...

We declined your "demand" for several reasons.... 1) Marshall doesn't dictate to WVU. But,2) the more compelling reasons for our decline were financial (self explanatory)and exposure. Expose our program around the country and in our recruiting areas. Sure, we'll play Liberty at home.....But, Liberty doesn't demand a return trip. Not too difficult to understand.... ergo Marshall's scheduling.... Let's see Marshall get a 1-1 with any of the top tier P5 schools.... ain't gonna happen.. Why expect it from WVU?

Never let it be said, however, WVU wasn't willing to play Marshall. We gave you an opportunity to have a 4 for 3 and all it took was a couple of Marshall wins... Since you didn't.. 5-2.... I'm sure WVU would have renewed the expired deal... It was Marshall that didn't want it, and 'made us an offer we couldn't accept' and they knew it. That was the ushering in of the new Marshall scheduling philosophy "Schedule wins, not good teams"

Tony, if you think WVU is remotely "scared" of Marshall, you're fooling yourself. We offered a deal to continue the series. You declined. So, we were willing and able to play. Why not play the game in a larger stadium? You guys brought about as many fans to Morgantown as you do to a game in Huntington. I'd venture to say our turf and locker rooms are superior......stadium amenities...etc...

We declined your "demand" for several reasons.... 1) Marshall doesn't dictate to WVU. But,2) the more compelling reasons for our decline were financial (self explanatory)and exposure. Expose our program around the country and in our recruiting areas. Sure, we'll play Liberty at home.....But, Liberty doesn't demand a return trip. Not too difficult to understand.... ergo Marshall's scheduling.... Let's see Marshall get a 1-1 with any of the top tier P5 schools.... ain't gonna happen.. Why expect it from WVU?

Never let it be said, however, WVU wasn't willing to play Marshall. We gave you an opportunity to have a 4 for 3 and all it took was a couple of Marshall wins... Since you didn't.. 5-2.... I'm sure WVU would have renewed the expired deal... It was Marshall that didn't want it, and 'made us an offer we couldn't accept' and they knew it. That was the ushering in of the new Marshall scheduling philosophy "Schedule wins, not good teams"
Owned...

Yes, I recognize that WVU is willing to play MU but only under their terms...which of course MU is not going to concede to. I guess it's hard for us to see WVU as a "top tier P5 school" which is really just a diss of Purdue for signing the 1-1 deal. On historic level WVU is not as good as Purdue. And I repect Mountie football, you boys are good and playing WVU in Morgantown ain't no day a tthe beach for anybody but I don't confuse you with OSU, 'bama, etc.

Yes, I recognize that WVU is willing to play MU but only under their terms...which of course MU is not going to concede to. I guess it's hard for us to see WVU as a "top tier P5 school" which is really just a diss of Purdue for signing the 1-1 deal. On historic level WVU is not as good as Purdue. And I repect Mountie football, you boys are good and playing WVU in Morgantown ain't no day a tthe beach for anybody but I don't confuse you with OSU, 'bama, etc.
How many BCS victories does Purdue have? What is their average ranking over the last 15 years? Compared to WVU, both Marshall and Purdue are both garbage, in recent history. Go ahead and change the subject now, Tony...

How many BCS victories does Purdue have? What is their average ranking over the last 15 years? Compared to WVU, both Marshall and Purdue are both garbage, in recent history. Go ahead and change the subject now, Tony...
What is Purdue overall bowl record compared to WVU, they were playing Big 10 competition when you boys were playing VMI and Richmond!

WVU signing a deal with Moo U is like the US signing a nuke deal with Iran = zero benefits for the good guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT