ADVERTISEMENT

Whoa, toronto......

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Haven't been listening to NHL Network Radio this morning, so I was wondering what kinds of estimates the locals are making on Lou's new contract. I don't believe there's a cap on salaries to Staff, so it's not like everything is committed to Babcock :grimace:

I'm initially wondering if they're paying Lou the same $6 million+ a year; I mean, why would he settle for anything less if Shanny wanted him (apparently) so badly ?? If so, $12 million + for a coach and GM would be a lot of money for anyone.....even someone like the Yankees or Dodgers.

Anyway, while I agree he has a nice look.....and that's got value for the Leafs (and Shanny).....I myself am hardly convinced he's any kind of savior. Granted, he's got the great resume.....but the more-than-anything-else accidental Cup run a couple years ago aside.....I assume it's already been beaten to death in town that he really hasn't proven much in the Cap era. And his backers seems strangely unwilling to acknowledge how much of his success in Jersey was really tied to one guy; who was one of the greats, played forever at the most important position on the ice, and absolutely never got hurt.

OTOH, this will be the first time maybe ever than he's got an open checkbook everywhere else beyond salaries, and I suspect that counts for something. Of course, if Kessel wasn't a Babcock kind-of guy, you know better than me he sure as hell was never going to be a Lamoriello kind-of guy. Which means even someone like myself in Cincinnati can see this was in the works for some time.

I assume Ray Shero was fully aware Lou was leaving when signing his contract. In fact, maybe the reason Jersey moved him out of the GM spot in the first place....a way better job in most organizations (especially for a hockey guy) than President..... was because Lou told them months ago he was done (and possibly already talking to the Leafs). Which freed Shero.....who never struck me as the kind of guy who'd like an ex-GM like Lou peering over his shoulder at his every move....to be offered (and accept) a job which to me initially appeared to be a bit of a strange fit.

BTW, had it occurred to you how much this move looks like Rutherford-to-Pittsburgh last season ?? Obviously, Lou has gallons more juice; but GMJR had a very similar (if not necessarily comparable) history with the Canes, and his departure was a virtually equal surprise. It also seems pretty clear Lou didn't like his new front-office job anymore than Rutherford liked his after being moved out of the GM's chair in Raleigh.

One more thing; how long is everyone locally figuring this 73 year old can (or will) be around the ACC ?? Is it currently being assumed he'll simply die at his desk ??

Last edited:
Haven't been listening to NHL Network Radio this morning, so I was wondering what kinds of estimates the locals are making on Lou's new contract. I don't believe there's a cap on salaries to Staff, so it's not like everything is committed to Babcock :grimace:

I'm initially wondering if they're paying Lou the same $6 million+ a year; I mean, why would he settle for anything less if Shanny wanted him (apparently) so badly ?? If so, $12 million + for a coach and GM would be a lot of money for anyone.....even someone like the Yankees or Dodgers.

Anyway, while I agree he has a nice look.....and that's got value for the Leafs (and Shanny).....I myself am hardly convinced he's any kind of savior. Granted, he's got the great resume.....but the more-than-anything-else accidental Cup run a couple years ago aside.....I assume it's already been beaten to death in town that he really hasn't proven much in the Cap era. And his backers seems strangely unwilling to acknowledge how much of his success in Jersey was really tied to one guy; who was one of the greats, played forever at the most important position on the ice, and absolutely never got hurt.

OTOH, this will be the first time maybe ever than he's got an open checkbook everywhere else beyond salaries, and I suspect that counts for something. Of course, if Kessel wasn't a Babcock kind-of guy, you know better than me he sure as hell was never going to be a Lamoriello kind-of guy. Which means even someone like myself in Cincinnati can see this was in the works for some time.

I assume Ray Shero was fully aware Lou was leaving when signing his contract. In fact, maybe the reason Jersey moved him out of the GM spot in the first place....a way better job in most organizations (especially for a hockey guy) than President..... was because Lou told them months ago he was done (and possibly already talking to the Leafs). Which freed Shero.....who never struck me as the kind of guy who'd like an ex-GM like Lou peering over his shoulder at his every move....to be offered (and accept) a job which to me initially appeared to be a bit of a strange fit.

BTW, had it occurred to you how much this move looks like Rutherford-to-Pittsburgh last season ?? Obviously, Lou has gallons more juice; but GMJR had a very similar (if not necessarily comparable) history with the Canes, and his departure was a virtually equal surprise. It also seems pretty clear Lou didn't like his new front-office job anymore than Rutherford liked his after being moved out of the GM's chair in Raleigh.

One more thing; how long is everyone locally figuring this 73 year old can (or will) be around the ACC ?? Is it currently being assumed he'll simply die at his desk ??
I agree with much of what you say here...I have tons of respect for what LL has accomplished in his career, but as you say he has run into his share of luck along the way too...getting Scott Stevens back as part of that Shanny rfa signing is one MAJOR example. Lou really hasn't done too much over tge last 10 yrs, especially at the draft table, some of those druthers could also be blamed on an ownership who until very recently after being sold tied his hands with save, save, save! He also had one hell of a goaltender. ..

Now....what do you think of the trade/ signings today? I quite liked Sutter but we could not afford him long term and he was our best trade prospect. I think we received fair value in return, Bonino is a nice addition....and this Fehr signing! 2 mil per for a 6'4 215 lb Centre with 19 goals last year? Well done GMJR! He's not exactly the prototypical big man I was looking for but he comes pretty damn close! We should now have the depth to compete with these other big Metro teams...not too shabby when you can pluck one from the Craps roster either!

Reactions: COOL MAN
Now....what do you think of the trade/ signings today? I quite liked Sutter but we could not afford him long term and he was our best trade prospect. I think we received fair value in return, Bonino is a nice addition....and this Fehr signing! 2 mil per for a 6'4 215 lb Centre with 19 goals last year? Well done GMJR! He's not exactly the prototypical big man I was looking for but he comes pretty damn close! We should now have the depth to compete with these other big Metro teams...not too shabby when you can pluck one from the Craps roster either!

I'm with you on Sutter; I liked him a lot more than those who spend time posting responses on NHL message boards, but moving a guy who was finished in Pittsburgh after next season and a #3 for a reasonable pro like Bonino, D-depth, and a fairly high pick.....plus cap space.....is a perfectly fine deal to me. OTOH, I'm a huge fan of bringing in Fehr; as we've already talked about this off-season, nothing this team needs more than size. Plus, with Washington having gone bananas signing ex-Pens over the past few years....hell, they even signed Zach Sill, for crying out loud.....it's good to see the tide turned on the Craps.

I read tonight that Benning was already working on an extension for Sutter which could be announced shortly; will be very interested to see what kind of deal he signs. I assume he'll sign for at least 5 years; and assuming they do better than $20 million over that term, I wonder if Benning will go to $25 million.

I'm with you on Sutter; I liked him a lot more than those who spend time posting responses on NHL message boards, but moving a guy who was finished in Pittsburgh after next season and a #3 for a reasonable pro like Bonino, D-depth, and a fairly high pick.....plus cap space.....is a perfectly fine deal to me. OTOH, I'm a huge fan of bringing in Fehr; as we've already talked about this off-season, nothing this team needs more than size. Plus, with Washington having gone bananas signing ex-Pens over the past few years....hell, they even signed Zach Sill, for crying out loud.....it's good to see the tide turned on the Craps.

I read tonight that Benning was already working on an extension for Sutter which could be announced shortly; will be very interested to see what kind of deal he signs. I assume he'll sign for at least 5 years; and assuming they do better than $20 million over that term, I wonder if Benning will go to $25 million.
I think you're in the ballpark there with that 25 mil offer, seeing Couturier sign at 26 for 6 years (I think), puts Sutter close to that number...

On another note what do you and any of the other hockey nuts on the board think of this Jim Craig sale of essentially all his items from 1980 in one lot? 5.7 mil is one heck of a lot from one investor! I know the event is monumentally historic, and I do remember it although I was 6 years old lol...but I wonder if he'll be able to find one investor willing to dole out that much cake? The Henderson jersey here from our 72 win against the big red machine went for around 1.2 mil a few years ago... And Burkle bought one of Jesse Owens golds for 1.4? I know Craig obviously wants to keep the legacy intact which I certainly understand...if he gets that much good on him I suppose, and I am hopeful it or the pieces of it survive for many years to come...

Last edited:
I have not heard about the sale to which you refer; meanwhile, I read earlier this week (and I don't remember exactly where).....though possibly that new Internet tabloid, The Hockey Press.....that Christian Ehrhoff remains unsigned because he was holding out for $6 million/year.

I hope that's not true, because I want to think he can't possibly be that stoopid coming off (or still recovering from) that concussion.

Last edited:
I have not heard about the sale to which you refer.......
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ncluding-gold-medal--for--5-7m-155221190.html
From what I'm hearing everything is 100% authenticated as it's been in his hands for 35 years...exception the flag MAY be up for debate...there is another fella who claims he has the original but his story seems a bit convoluted from what I understand. ..actually for my 2 cents I don't think that flag whether it's the one he draped over himself with pride or not should be sold...I'd love to see it permanantly displayed or in some way protected as it means so very much to so many , for a multitude of reasons not just this one...obviously from the perspective that I cherish my own flag and all that it means...just my opinion....

Also...your Bucs did my Jays a big favour today in whupping the Twins...keep up the good work lol...

Last edited:
So, the current rumors are that Sutter will sign for 5 years/$22 million; that is a little lower than I expected......you know I figured him at $25 million. Of course, it becomes more and more clear each year that hockey players place a more extreme emphasis on term (over sheer dollars) than in other team sports.

From what I can tell, the Canucks faithful/media appear to think they stole Sutter; though I know nobody in Pittsburgh sees it that way. But that makes it a good deal for both teams. If BS gets to center their #2 line, he'll presumably have better line-mates than he did in Pittsburgh.....which probably gives him a shot at being a 55-60 point guy. And if that happens, $4.4m/season probably is a fairly reasonable AAV in 2016.

We don't have to play the Canucks.....and I always liked Sutter......so I myself wish him good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT