ADVERTISEMENT

Who does everyone have this weekend in the Big 12? 11/3

amath13

Senior
Mar 5, 2012
Oklahoma -11 at Iowa State
I'm not real familiar with how Oklahoma handles situations coming off losses historically. However, I know last season they rebounded after every loss with a win & they absolutely destroyed Kansas State after that upset loss to Texas Tech. And then this season they destroyed Texas Tech after the loss to Kansas State. So I think they pick up the win in Ames. However, I think the Cyclones cover.

Oklahoma 35 Iowa State 28

TCU +7 at WVU
I'm going to be honest. I'm not confident in this game at all. This is the worst defense I've ever seen at WVU. The next worse defense is not even close. I know fans in the Big 12 think it's because we've never faced offenses like this before, but trust me we've never had a defense this awful. It's a combo of WAY too many freshman playing & a whole new coaching staff. The offenses have something to do with it, but we've had defenses in the past that could at least get in the way of the type of offenses we're facing.

TCU is struggling right now as well, so if we don't beat the Horned Frogs, we're toast. There isn't likely another team we would be favored to beat until we play Kansas. Our only chance is if our offense gets back to the production they showed prior to the Texas Tech game. We aren't going to slow down anyone including TCU, so we need our offense to keep pace. I think WVU wins because of the home field advantage, but gamblers should take TCU & the points. If WVU loses this one, they're headed for 6-6 or 5-7.

WVU 45 TCU 42

Kansas +17 at Baylor
Thank God for Baylor. Without them, WVU would have the worst defense in the Big 12. I just don't see anyone with that poor of a defense getting a big enough lead to cruise. I do think Kansas will find a way to lose in the end once again. I don't see Baylor covering though.

Baylor 27 Kansas 17

Texas +7 at Texas Tech
Texas is fascinating to me. How to you accumulate that much talent, but yet look so mediocre on the field? WVU coaches/fans would kill to have that much talent. We have to fight & scratch to recruit because we don't have an in state recruiting base. So we have to talk kids into leaving home. Yet, Texas with all of it's built in advantages can't put together a product capable of competing for a Big 12 title, much less a national championship. That would drive me insane as a fan.

At any rate, I digress...I look for Texas Tech to bounce back in a big way. I was impressed with the Red Raiders when we played out there. They don't intimidate you anywhere with size or speed, but Tuberville has them playing really well as a team. Doege is a pretty good QB & their defense is pretty good. Not Alabama good, but they have definitely improved from last season. I look for their running game to be pretty successful as well since Texas can't stop anyone's running game. I pick Tech to win pretty easily & to cover the spread.

Texas Tech 35 Texas 21

Oklahoma State +9.5 at Kansas State
Definitely the game of the week in the Big 12 by far. This is the last chance for someone to beat Kansas State imo. The rest of their schedule is pretty much a slam dunk (although in college football we've seen over the years that is never the case - Oklahoma State fans can attest to that - and so can WVU fans after the debacle in 2007). Oklahoma State has appeared to right the ship after their early loss to Texas at home. They have looked really impressive in their last 2 wins at home winning by 3 TD's over a pretty decent Iowa State team & then pulling away in the 2nd half vs. TCU. However, they will now have to get one on the road against a Kansas State team that might be playing better than anyone else sans a team in Tuscaloosa.

Kansas State looks to be one of those special teams. They don't overwhelm you with talent or speed. But they have that 'it' factor that makes a great college football team. I've always admired Kansas State from afar during the Snyder years & now that I've seen it up close I've gained even more respect for their program. Collin Klein is not a poor man's Tim Tebow. He basically is a Tim Tebow clone. You think you can contain him, by forcing him to pass & then he takes that completely awkward throwing style & throws a perfect strike for a first down...which is a back breaker because they will continue to just control the clock with another set of downs.

I do think Oklahoma State will make this one interesting, but in the end I think Kansas State holds them off and they will be looking very closely at an undefeated season. I would take Oklahoma State & the points though. They will make KSU sweat on Saturday. If this game were going to be in Stillwater, I think the Cowboys might be able to beat the Wildcats.

Kansas State 31 Oklahoma State 24

This post was edited on 10/30 10:59 AM by amath13

I'd say that looks pretty accurate...

I'd probably pick Kansas St to cover, they are firing on all cylinders right now...but you are probably right that a squeaker is coming at some point. Whether it's this week, I don't know.

At this point, I'd have to pick TCU over WVU although I'm a bit more optimistic than I was a few days ago. I'd say the critical factor is whether Boykin is close to 100% for the Horned Frogs. If he is reasonably healthy, then I like their chances. If they have to throw a first-time starter in Brown out there, though, that might be just enough help for the beleaguered WVU defense to slip past them.

This post was edited on 10/31 3:07 AM by GoWVU

amath-
You're spot on about Mack Brown's advantages when it comes to recruiting. They get whoever they want. The reason they do so little is because Mack Brown has got to be one of the worst coaches ever. His coaching ability matches Bob Stoops maturity level.

Regardless, Tech isnt going to blow out Texas- never happens. They'll play hard, and if we win- (which I hope we do) it wont be by more than a TD imo. I would love a blowout.. but historically Texas sucks and then has their coming out party against Tech.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I'm going to hold off on a prediction for a couple of days. I want to see if there's anymore word on Boykin or Knott (one of Iowa State's two exceptional LB's). Also, the spread in the OSU-K-State game is still fluid. It's moved from 7 to 9.5 already.

I will comment on that one though... The big reason OSU has looked so much better is the defense is finally healthy, or as healthy as it can be at this point. Getting Lyndell Johnson back has been huge considering the way Bill Young likes to play third down. That could be a big deal this weekend if OSU can put Kansas State in 3rd and long situations. With him in the game I think the Cowboys have as much speed at LB as anyone in the conference. The other big difference last week was the return of Wes Lunt. Walsh did a fine job in his place against Texas and Iowa State, but he simply doesn't, yet, have the tools to run this whole offense. Lunt does, and once he got his feet wet he showed that in the second half. The kid can make all the throws, and with him in the pocket we can hit receivers outside the hashes and down field with consistency (whether we can catch a pass on the outside without Tracy Moore may be a different story). With Walsh our offense wasn't a whole lot better than TCU's. With Lunt I think it can be as good as anyone's in this conference on any given Saturday.

Last year both Tracy Moore and Justin Blackmon had huge days against the Wildcats. Someone will have to step up with Blackmon in the NFL and Moore in a boot. I think Blake Jackson is a nightmare matchup for just about anyone, and he'll line up in the same slot Moore did last year. OSU needs a big day from him and Josh Stewart at the other inside slot.

Our ground game gives us an edge against the Wildcats that the rest of their opponents haven't had. Joseph Randle is having a monster season, and with Lunt back the offense should finally be able to punish defenses for focusing on him. The Wildcats were pretty effective at limiting him last year, but they couldn't do that and stop the passing game. I expect them to focus on Randle again. The Cowboys will need to get a hat on Arthur Brown if they're going to find a consistent running game, so I'd like to see a lot of FB Kye Staley this week. He has the speed and the willingness to blow up a LB in the whole to spring Randle or Smith. Speaking of Smith, he carried the rock 7 times against TCU. Hopefully he's close to pain free this week and ready to share the load to keep Randle fresh. Despite shutting him down most of the game, Randle broke a few big ones in the fourth quarter last year, so keeping him fresh is important.

I don't buy my Cowboys as the second best team in the Big 12 yet, but I do think they're the best matchup for the Wildcats with their strength in the middle of the DL, speed at LB, balanced offense that can attack the whole field and ability to excel in the kicking game. I still don't think we've seen their A game yet.

I still wouldn't play a bet on West Virginia, but I think they cover against TCU. I saw the spread at -5 today.

Both Baylor and Kansas are desperate for a win. I think Florence and Williams are the difference in a blow out and Baylor covers (-17).

I think Tech will win against UT, but this is one series UT hasn't struggled with while they've been down. UT + 7 is a pretty good bet I think.

Iowa State's not going to have enough to hang with an angry Oklahoma squad. OU wins and covers (-12).

Every other day this week I've thought my team was headed for a loss this weekend. I should stay away from the gambling today, because right now I'm convinced they win in manhattan, so I'd take the points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT