ADVERTISEMENT

When the ACC folds

I heard that argument many times. Again, not saying you’re wrong. While I would’ve loved the SEC, I don’t believe any of us would love it now. Sure, the school would make a ton of money, but we don’t follow WVU because we love financial smack lol. It would be a death blow to our football program. I would now prefer to remain where we are now.
The sec would eat us up with brown as the coach. His record would even be worse than it is now. Sec travel would be great though! We would have to open the wallet to get a legit coach to be relevant at all in that conference.

Maybe the acc finds a way to save itself, but the feeling right now is "they are next." The b12 just survived a blow and right now are much safer

State two reasons why the ACC is folding....I will wait.
FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA.

Before you can say it won't happen then look quickly to PAC 12...
B1G - USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington
Big 12 - Colorado, ASU, Arizona, Utah

The ACC is folding. Here is why:

1. That GOR they signed, modeled after the B12's by the way, has locked those schools in. Several schools are trying, unsuccessfully right now, to find a way around and out of it. That tells you they know the conference is doomed.
2. That GOR, which saved the conference when it was signed, now has sealed its doom. If those teams cannot find a way out, or worse, pay their way out, will find themselves trapped. There is the assumption some of those teams will be taken by the Big 3. That is, in 2023. What about 2033? What would the college world look like then? Will those teams even be viable options? What if the Big 3 decide they don't NEED to expand - in 2023 or 2036?
3. The path the ACC has to the playoffs, even with 12 teams, is reduced as it is most likely those spots will be mostly filled with Big 3 teams and mostly SEC and B10 at that.
4. While ESPN is stuck with the ACC for the foreseeable future, even with the ACC network, there is little path to the networks for their games. Big 3 games will fill up the best time slots while the ACC will be lucky to get a game on after 11 pm and be forced to play on Thursday or Friday nights just to get some exposure.
5. Interest in ACC teams from recruits will diminish, further diluting their product. Higher ranked kids, even within their traditional footprint, will go to B3 schools simply for the exposure.

Last, but not least, the ACC, in the college football totem pole, has always been the lower rung. The SEC can pick who they want. The Big 10 can get anyone below the SEC. Next, its the B12. The lowest rung(s) are always the ripest for picking. That's why they signed the GOR and extended it that long, that's what sealed their fate. There are more reasons why, but this list is good enough for now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT