ADVERTISEMENT

when is " FRESH FISH "

stevek01

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2010
No longer considered FRESH ? 1-2 days 3 days ? I bought some wild caught salmon that was a day old at kroger and planed on grilling it today (1 day later ) after freezing it. It seems to have a semi strong oder. This is the first time i ever bought salmon or attempted to grill it. Is it naturally strong smelling,tasting fish ?

Any good tips on grilling are welcome

While salmon does have a very subtle odor (if you ever eat raw salmon it smells very, very faintly like fish), the general rule is that if any seafood smells "fishy" it is probably past its prime. If your salmon strongly smells like fish, throw it out.

Salmon has a fairly robust flavor when you eat it, but I agree with Wharf that fish should not smell fishy.

I live pretty close to the coastline in a major metropolitan area, and so I have it pretty good when it comes to fresh fish. That said, you can find some very nice frozen fish these days that is flash-frozen at sea immediately following when the fish is caught. I think all of the wholesale clubs have this now. I had a king salmon filet last night that was simply outstanding, and I've eaten it in Alaska within hours of it being caught. I poached it in white wine with just some white pepper and salt, because I specifically wanted to judge its flavor and freshness. I was very impressed. I also got a bag of Mahi-mahi filets.

Depending on where you live, you might want to look into frozen. Fresh is expensive, and who wants to pay for fresh that isn't even fresh.

I agree but you wouldn't believe how fishy the salmon that comes from the big purveyors smells. I tell you, the best salmon I can buy in bulk comes from Sam's Club.

No sh*t...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT