ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite bread at Subway ??

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
It's hardly a "traditional" hoagie/sub bread, but I myself like their flatbread (which I guess they actually added more for their breakfast-sandwich offering).

Depends on the type of sub I'm getting. If I order a chicken breast, turkey/ham, or Subway melt, then I go for the honey oat bread.

For just about anything else I get the regular wheat bread.

I've never had the flatbread. But all their rolls, they basically taste the same to me.

I used to really like subway for what it was.....a chain that mass-produces subs. But now, I basically stay away. I rather get a real sub on real bread.

Don't go near the place since I got a processed, no, reprocessed....

...grilled chicken sub. They didn't align the black grill paint/flavoring with the machined grill indentations. I do get an annual meatball sub. One of those babys lasts a long time.

I hear what you're saying; for me, Subway is something I'll have pretty much only when I'm ready to stick a fork in my eye if I have another burger or chicken sandwich (like when I was spending the night in Winston Salem earlier this week).

There's a growing chain called Penn Station, founded here in Cincinnati in the late 80's, which makes as good a sub as anyone in the business; very high-quality ingredients on a fresh-baked French roll that's absolutely terrific. IMHO, if a Penn Station was next door to a Subway (or Quizno's or Jersey Mikes), the national chain would be out of business in 6 months.
This post was edited on 12/10 11:48 AM by COOL MAN

I do solely cold cut subs at Subway

Their so-called "cooked" ingredient subs have NEVER looked appealing to me...

Re: Thanks for the tip

I'll keep my eye out for Penn Station. Should be up in Oxford, Oh next summer.

They're all over Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky

What's bringing you up to Oxford ??? Same county as where I live.....a bit less than 30 miles away.

Re: They're all over Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky

my wife is a Miami alumnus. Been there for reunions several times and have been very impressed. She has talked my son into considering Miami for college even though the university isn't the best choice for what he is interested in. Regardless, we are going to visit mostly to appease her.
This post was edited on 12/10 4:43 PM by WVUBRU

Re: They're all over Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky

You're probably well-aware MU has been called "The Harvard of the Midwest" for decades, and that it's right at the top of most lists for Top Value among major Universities.

My son certainly doesn't have the grades to be considered for general admission, though he could probably get some fairly strong consideration for their Opera program. But he.....and to some extent, his mother.....doesn't feel as though he'd be a good fit in a student body considered to be largely composed these days of academic and socioeconomic elites (not to mention several students from his HS for whom he doesn't care for very much).

I'm not sure I agree with him, since I myself think a Miami education is pretty valuable.....plus, Oxford is a pretty cool little town. But it's HIS life and HIS call. Be sure to let me know when you're going to be in the area; I'd like to connect with you if possible.

I like penn Station also but the one thing I have discovered is that a Penn Station sub should be eaten in, rather than carried out. They do not hold the best. Also, I have to tell the guys here in Beckley to lay off the dried oregano. Don't know if this is a franchise thing or is exclusive to the one in Beckley but too much uncooked dried oregano sucks.

I'd like to try a Jimmy Johns. Couple of folks on this board swear by them.

Absolutely spot-on observation, bcm.....in particular, their grilled sandwiches really DON'T do very well on the drive home if one purchases them for takeout.

We had them recently for dinner, and my own cheesesteak certainly wasn't as good as it could be. It's a good 10-15 minute drive home from my closest PS location, and that clearly makes a HUGE difference. I should also have known better than to add lettuce and tomato to a hot sub that's going to be wrapped-up in wax paper and not eaten immediately.

Interesting you mention Jimmy Johns; my wife and I passed one about a week ago......you probably know that chain grew exponentially a few years ago, and Greater Cincinnati was no exception.....and I myself commented that I'd yet to try them.

Re: I guess I'm just a downer on this thread

Jimmy Johns is just ok. Wouldn't go out of my way for one of their subs either. But many people do swear by them. Same with Jason's down here in the south. I don't get it.

Best "fast food" sub in my book is made by Publix if you have Publix markets in your area. Their rolls are outstanding as they are baked in house. Publix bakeries make some outstanding bread.

Lately, when I'm in the mood for a sub I will go to a local pizza joint and order a take out from their menu. Usually they are $5-7 bucks which is comparable and are made fresh with real ingredients on fresh bread. And now that Diner's have made a comback across the nation, many good subs are popping up in various local joints. Even though it isn't a sub, had an outstanding panini at a new diner in the neighborhood yesterday for lunch. Huge with an order of fries for $8. It was outstanding. And better yet, you are giving a local business your money.

Interesting comment on Publix sandwiches

As you may know, they're considered up there with the best of the best chains in the industry with respect to the quality of their stores (and the way they're run) and merchandise. Of course, as a traditional Southern chain, I myself see them only when I'm down South.....may have to try one of those subs the next time I'm in Nashville or Atlanta.
This post was edited on 12/11 1:37 PM by COOL MAN

For anyone in Fairmont/Bridgeport during lunchtime, try Hank's Deli

They have a place in the old Middletown Mall that caters to the lunch crowd (another on Brideport hill), and I eat there once a week. They have great bread for their sandwiches (I believe they get it from a local bakery), and they serve them with homemade potato chips. The Gone Turkey and Blue Ridge are great, and they make great pork bbq / pulled pork sandwiches as their special on Wednesdays. They go out of their way to have friendly service as well, and a nice touch that's missing from a lot of places these days.

306312_205801029487615_100001731571859_498011_180233761_n.jpg

Re: I guess I'm just a downer on this thread

I agree on Jimmy Johns. It's nothing special. Personally, I'm a big Quiznos fan.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Subway is terrible. Their cold cut meats are overly processed dog food material. I would only eat at any Subway as a LAST resort.

I like penn Station also but the one thing I have discovered is that a Penn Station sub should be eaten in, rather than carried out. They do not hold the best. Also, I have to tell the guys here in Beckley to lay off the dried oregano. Don't know if this is a franchise thing or is exclusive to the one in Beckley but too much uncooked dried oregano sucks.

I'd like to try a Jimmy Johns. Couple of folks on this board swear by them.

Back, if your ever make it up to the Eastern Panhandle area and are hankering for a sub, I suggest you try Kings. Their Super Italian is the best I have had anywhere. Our Charles Town Jersey Mikes was very good for the first year they were open but they have really slipped. Also If you are near a Wegman's supermarket, they have top notch subs. I have tried Jimmy Johns and they are head and shoulders above Subway.

sounds good brother. the Italian is always my favorite since the old days at Greasy Nicks canteen..

I haven't had anything to complain about at The Atlanta Bread Company. Bread is very good and the ingredients are fresh. Well, I do have one complaint - all those people coming there to do their computer work and occupying a table.

I haven't had anything to complain about at The Atlanta Bread Company. Bread is very good and the ingredients are fresh. Well, I do have one complaint - all those people coming there to do their computer work and occupying a table.

Very good sandwiches, very poor company. In the early 2000's, almost went into partnership with someone and bought 5 franchises. I thank my lucky stars every night that I didn't.

Very good sandwiches, very poor company. In the early 2000's, almost went into partnership with someone and bought 5 franchises. I thank my lucky stars every night that I didn't.
I enjoyed one at a mall in Columbia. Then one was established in Florence and I ate there every time I was there in the afternoon. Always good and clean. Maybe pricy, but worth it.

In what way were they "very poor company"? Management, underfinanced, location or what?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT