ADVERTISEMENT

We have the talent to go 11-1

Because I'm bored and I love to watch people leap at the bait:

Oliver Luck said 9-4, 9-4, 9-4 wasn't good enough.

I agree with Oliver Luck.

It's my alma mater, dammit, and being in the Big 12 is no excuse to be flirting with the bottom half of the conference standings. TCU came in at the same time and won the damn thing. WVU fans just won the Big 12 in number of excuses about why, after six seasons of winning or sharing the Big East title, WVU couldn't finish regularly in the top half of the Big 12, even with the best offensive trio in history in Geno, Tavon and Stedman.

OK, fire back, guys, so I can stand this LONG wait till the season begins, even if it is cupcakes GaSo and Liberty and so-so Maryland. If WVU isn't 3-0, and easily so, then we're in for another long, painful season under Dana.

Please say it ain't so, Joe.

I agree CFE. Sometimes I feel like we are getting into the "next year will be the year" syndrome. I'm ready to win and win now!

Let's go WVU!

Couldnt agree more CFE This is Dana 4\5? year

It's my alma mater, dammit, and being in the Big 12 is no excuse to be flirting with the bottom half of the conference standings. TCU came in at the same time and won the damn thing. WVU fans just won the Big 12 in number of excuses about why, after six seasons of winning or sharing the Big East title, WVU couldn't finish regularly in the top half of the Big 12, even with the best offensive trio in history in Geno, Tavon and Stedman.

OK, fire back, guys, so I can stand this LONG wait till the season begins, even if it is cupcakes GaSo and Liberty and so-so Maryland. If WVU isn't 3-0, and easily so, then we're in for another long, painful season under Dana.

ot , I design my business web site and can'f figure out how to delete this, prior to posting it , lol.
I need a big red X icon lol

One of the dumbest posts that I have read in years...

If we have the talent to go 11-1 then obviously coaching would be the only reason we don't by your logic. I'm going to say we have neither the talent nor the coaching to go 11-1 in this conference. Especially not this season when all of our stiffest tests are seemingly on the road.

One of the dumbest posts that I have read in years...
Wii Wii, this is absolute fact. OL would not stand for 9-4 season and made a change that came a year sooner than expected. Would have happened in the first year in the B12, but came in the last year in the BE. He said that he had no confidence that we were heading in the direction of a NC and made a change that he felt would get us there.

Now OL is gone. Does anyone feel we are closer to an NC?

Wii Wii, this is absolute fact. OL would not stand for 9-4 season and made a change that came a year sooner than expected. Would have happened in the first year in the B12, but came in the last year in the BE. He said that he had no confidence that we were heading in the direction of a NC and made a change that he felt would get us there.

Yes were closer now than ever before simply because of conference affiliation + the playoff will generally allow us to have a WTF game. If we get a team that is of the caliber of the 05-07 teams again (not that far fetched) we can win a title, and wont have to do it going against the grade of everyone saying our schedule sucks.

If we have the talent to go 11-1 then obviously coaching would be the only reason we don't by your logic. I'm going to say we have neither the talent nor the coaching to go 11-1 in this conference. Especially not this season when all of our stiffest tests are seemingly on the road.

If West Virginia has the talent to go 11-1, I vote for 14-0.

Which reminds me, I was in Vegas last week and put $20 on the Mountaineers to win it all. Easiest $3,000 I've ever made.

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
I hope you're kidding. We're farther[

Yes, right now we are clearly farther as far as our roster goes, but we don't have as big of an uphill battle in recruiting now, we can build this roster deeper than we did during 05-07 if we can catch another run of dynamic playmakers like we had in 05-07 and also from 2010-2012.

Yes were closer now than ever before simply because of conference affiliation + the playoff will generally allow us to have a WTF game.
I hope you're kidding. We're farther from winning a title than we were before.

Forget about our worse results on the field lately, it isn't even about that. All the Big East criticism in the world didn't stop us from being in position in both 1993 and 2007.

The difference lies in the fact that we would have to win two straight games against Ohio St-caliber competition now as opposed to only one before under the old arrangement.

The playoff format is a disaster for everyone except the very elite programs of the sport. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

OL would not stand for 9-4 season and made a change that came a year sooner than expected. Would have happened in the first year in the B12, but came in the last year in the BE. He said that he had no confidence that we were heading in the direction of a NC and made a change that he felt would get us there.

Your post, imo, is correct.....and incorrect. I think OL would have been fine with 9 win seasons in the Big 12 (and really...the BE too) IF he felt we had a head coach that had the potential to win a national title.

Bill Stewart (RIP) did fine but OL didn't think the chance for a title was in his future as a head coach. ....so he made the choice to 'roll the dice' ( because winning a title is the ultimate goal).

Did his gamble pay off?? The answer is.....it doesn't matter. He wanted change because what he had wasn't what he thought it would take

So here we are....and the next question is.. "Does DH have the potential (important word) to win a championship ?"

Well....that's a question for our new AD. ....but you don't stick with any coach that doesn't have potential to make it to the show....

Maybe DH isn't the answer, but yes.... ... I think we're closer to a NT.

I hope you're kidding. We're farther from winning a title than we were before.

Forget about our worse results on the field lately, it isn't even about that. All the Big East criticism in the world didn't stop us from being in position in both 1993 and 2007.

The difference lies in the fact that we would have to win two straight games against Ohio St-caliber competition now as opposed to only one before under the old arrangement.

The playoff format is a disaster for everyone except the very elite programs of the sport. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

We now have more chances to get "in", we have only been "in" (sortve) once in 1988, anything that results in more inclusion is good for us. The 05-07 teams could handle anybody in a 1 off scenario, but unfortunately USF (as funny as it sounds, in hindsight they were very good, lots of NFL talent) had our number during that span and we never broke through. The Pitt game was the abberation of all abberations.

We now have more chances to get "in", we have only been "in" (sortve) once in 1988, anything that results in more inclusion is good for us. The 05-07 teams could handle anybody in a 1 off scenario, but unfortunately USF (as funny as it sounds, in hindsight they were very good, lots of NFL talent) had our number during that span and we never broke through. The Pitt game was the abberation of all abberations.

You just had to mention the 07 Pitt game right before my dinner. If I upchuck, it's on you. WVU would have beaten Ohio State that year and then the national opinion of the Mountaineers would have changed forever. Once you win the national title, you get respect. WVU has NEVER won the national title in football or basketball (unless you count the 1922 football team or the 1942 NIT team), so respect is hard to come by.

And Oliver Luck did set the bar for 9-4, 9-4, 9-4 not being good enough. No amount of character assassination of anyone who reminds you of that can change that fact.

Dana beat 9-4 only once, at 10-3 in the Big East and annihilating Clemson in the Orange Bowl, and that was with Bill Stewart's recruits. Dana hasn't won diddly with his recruits yet. Hell, 4-8 and 7-6 are more common than 9-4. It's time for Dana to prove he's an excellent head coach (he IS an excellent offense coach) or, horrors, we'll have to endure a new coach without solving the problem.

Where is the dislike button when you need one.

anything that results in more inclusion is good for us.
Don't be too sure about that. The door to get inside may be open a little wider under this format, but unfortunately we would now have to beat up two bouncers instead of just one.

I would have to see a lot of evidence to convince me that is a worthwhile trade-off from the POV of a non-traditional power like us.

I grow so tired of having this discussion. If you can't understand that Stew (a great guy) was crashing this program, I can't make you smarter. Oliver was not happy with the direction of the program and, if Stew had been willing to make the appropriate changes, he would not have been fired. He wasn't so Oliver took action. It has VERY LITTLE to do with the magic number "9" & more to do with an incompetent OC (Mullen) & O-line coach (Johnson) and a head coach who was recruiting high rated players but not landing them on campus and unwilling to change.

To answer your question, we are a MUCH stronger program now than then (regardless of our record) and if you can't get that, well as they say, "you can't fix stupid"

Your post, imo, is correct.....and incorrect. I think OL would have been fine with 9 win seasons in the Big 12 (and really...the BE too) IF he felt we had a head coach that had the potential to win a national title.

Bill Stewart (RIP) did fine but OL didn't think the chance for a title was in his future as a head coach. ....so he made the choice to 'roll the dice' ( because winning a title is the ultimate goal).

Did his gamble pay off?? The answer is.....it doesn't matter. He wanted change because what he had wasn't what he thought it would take

So here we are....and the next question is.. "Does DH have the potential (important word) to win a championship ?"

Well....that's a question for our new AD. ....but you don't stick with any coach that doesn't have potential to make it to the show....

Maybe DH isn't the answer, but yes.... ... I think we're closer to a NT.

I think you are spot on with this post.

I grow so tired of having this discussion. If you can't understand that Stew (a great guy) was crashing this program, I can't make you smarter. Oliver was not happy with the direction of the program and, if Stew had been willing to make the appropriate changes, he would not have been fired. He wasn't so Oliver took action. It has VERY LITTLE to do with the magic number "9" & more to do with an incompetent OC (Mullen) & O-line coach (Johnson) and a head coach who was recruiting high rated players but not landing them on campus and unwilling to change.

To answer your question, we are a MUCH stronger program now than then (regardless of our record) and if you can't get that, well as they say, "you can't fix stupid"

Hmmmm...

If we don't win every game this year then it is time to bring back Bobby Bowden ( along with disco shoes ).

1309970756.JPG

If WVU can't beat the 9 teams in our conference then we don't even deserve a shot at winning a National Championship. Maybe we should focus on a winning conference record before a National Championship.

Last edited:
...and even that is a HUGE long-shot.....
Maybe, maybe not. when you consider huggs record as a coach he's already coached wvu to the final 4. He'll have wvu knockin on the door the next few years with the way he is coaching and recruiting. I would say 1 in 15 -20 chance if they keep improving. I'll take those odds over football right now.

exactly right. The issues and problems had very little to do with those 9 wins. It was about several things. Aside from the obvious regarding Mullins and Johnson, it also had to do with the future problems brewing ahead. Stewart was not recruiting well. He was under recruiting and several players weren't making it due to grades, criminal acts, being homesick, etc. WVU was spiraling. Those 9 win seasons were about to become 1-3 win seasons very quickly if stew wasn't canned. You can't have 56-58 scholarship players and win. That's what Dana inherited from stew.

...And Oliver Luck did set the bar for 9-4, 9-4, 9-4 not being good enough. No amount of character assassination of anyone who reminds you of that can change that fact.

I just don't understand how people, who I otherwise believe to be intelligent and well informed, can be so shallow to not see beyond this. Anyone who is responsible for management of a complex organization, knows it is (and was) simply not that simple.

I also find it amusing that the term "character assissination" comes up as if I were doing that to Stew (which I was not) when people making this lame argument are doing EXACTLY that of OL and Dana.

Oh, well...

exactly right. The issues and problems had very little to do with those 9 wins. It was about several things. Aside from the obvious regarding Mullins and Johnson, it also had to do with the future problems brewing ahead. Stewart was not recruiting well. He was under recruiting and several players weren't making it due to grades, criminal acts, being homesick, etc. WVU was spiraling. Those 9 win seasons were about to become 1-3 win seasons very quickly if stew wasn't canned. You can't have 56-58 scholarship players and win. That's what Dana inherited from stew.

People who don't remember this or understand the implications of "failing to recruit" properly will never get it and will be stuck in the past. I'm looking at you CFE!

Stew's recruiting was turning into a disaster. He did land some very good players. But we had several years of less than full classes of which all did not qualify and any new head coach who would have been hired when Dana took over would have been taking over a program that was depleted of players.

And .... the program was depleted of players because Stew was intentionally going after smaller classes. He said so himself. How can anyone forget that?

Then throw in a couple of assistant coaching fiascoes and you have the mess that Ollie decided to push aside.

Ain't no mystery here.

Anyway ..... this team could go 11-1 with a few breaks. But a one loss team in the B12 is a difficult thing for me to see actually happening.

I'll put it this way ... with two games left in the season I think WVU will be in a position from which a conference title is still a possibility. I think we finish a clear 3rd or 4th in conference. But if I am wrong I think we finish higher. So yeah .... I like the upside of this team more than the downside.

Wins and losses? Who knows?

And .... the program was depleted of players because Stew was intentionally going after smaller classes. He said so himself. How can anyone forget that?

I still can't believe this is being discussed. That's not actually at all what he said. In the interview that has been the source of this common talking point by people that complain about Stewart, he states that in an ideal situation he would like to sign 17 players every year... For those that wanted something to complain about, that became a rallying cry but in the context of the article you can clearly see he is saying that in a perfect world you would have every person qualify, redshirt and stay for 5 seasons. (5 * 17 = 85)

So when someone asked him what an ideal recruiting class would look like, he was responding that signing 17 would be ideal because that would mean that you haven't had any attrition and all of your recruits qualified from previous classes, showing the stability of the program. The funny thing here is that comment has been beaten to death so much at this point, but if you actually look at Stewart's classes while here none of them were small classes.

I still can't believe this is being discussed. That's not actually at all what he said. In the interview that has been the source of this common talking point by people that complain about Stewart, he states that in an ideal situation he would like to sign 17 players every year... For those that wanted something to complain about, that became a rallying cry but in the context of the article you can clearly see he is saying that in a perfect world you would have every person qualify, redshirt and stay for 5 seasons. (5 * 17 = 85)

So when someone asked him what an ideal recruiting class would look like, he was responding that signing 17 would be ideal because that would mean that you haven't had any attrition and all of your recruits qualified from previous classes, showing the stability of the program. The funny thing here is that comment has been beaten to death so much at this point, but if you actually look at Stewart's classes while here none of them were small classes.
2008:
13 of 28 finished 4 years 46%
2009:
11 of 25 finished 4 years 44%
2010:
7 of 20 finished 4 years 35%
Total:
31 of 73 fnished 4 years 42%

You must be living in the same world as Bill Stewart was. Where will you ever find 100% retention in one year... much less over 4 or 5?

The reason I say we have the talent to go 11-1 is simple:

Despite Holgerson's BIZARRE play calling ...as long as he has a competent QB we will score points. We just need 1 or 2 of the young WR's to take the next step.

However, we finally have a defense that has MULTIPLE playmakers especially in the secondary:

Daryl Worley
Karl Joseph
Dravon Askew-Henry

All 3 of those players have the potential to be NFL starters when they leave Morgantown.

Plus we have 6 solid seniors on D led by Nick Kwiatkoski, Shaq Petteway, Kyle Rose, and Jared Barber.

This will be the most talented defense in MoTown since 2010.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT