ADVERTISEMENT

Tyson Bagent Question

MountaineerWV

All-American
Sep 18, 2007
Did WVU not recruit this guy? He's now starting for the Bears. Who dropped the ball on him?

Last edited:
If I’m not mistaken I think we hitched our program to JT Daniels instead while Bagent was in the portal

If I’m not mistaken I think we hitched our program to JT Daniels instead while Bagent was in the portal
But what about out of high school? He was the WV Gatorade POY as a senior, correct? Martinsburg has a great football program. Was Holgersen or Brown the head coach during his senior year?

Did that because Bagent did not want come here and Maryland said no. Of course Maryland already had QB.

But what about out of high school? He was the WV Gatorade POY as a senior, correct? Martinsburg has a great football program. Was Holgersen or Brown the head coach during his senior year?
Holgorsen didn't even look at him and Neal Brown wanted him to walk on. Do you really think he improves to be NFL material under Brown?

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Watching how good JT is doing under the Rice coaching staff, I'm glad Bagent didn't come here to have Brown ruin him. Sad but true...

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Hind sight is 20/20. Apparently nobody in country recruited him.
Yeah, and we recruit other guys "nobody else" recruits, too. And this was in-state guy in the NFL now. Don't care about hindsight. Take care of YOUR STATE. He was this state's best player his senior year, and didn't get a scholly offer?

Tyson's a great kid, but coming out of Martinsburg he was not a D-1 level recruit. He could have potentially walked on at WVU, but he never would have been able to develop his ability like he did at Shepherd. Dana would have ignored him and he would have not gotten the reps needed to grow.

It's not like a kid that walks on and works his way into a starting spot at LB or W. Him going to Shepherd, and staying at Shepherd, was perfect for him and put him in a position to succeed.

Yeah, and we recruit other guys "nobody else" recruits, too. And this was in-state guy in the NFL now. Don't care about hindsight. Take care of YOUR STATE. He was this state's best player his senior year, and didn't get a scholly offer?
And those players nobody else wanted walk on at WVU and rarely play.

Bagent was only recruited by Albany and Robert Moriss but chose to go to Shepherd.

He could have walked on and he didn't. He wasn't drafted either so must be at least 31 NFL teams that missed as well.

WVU did him a favor by not going for him because he would not be where he is now.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
What you should be asking is why WVU doesn't hire Shepherd QB coach and their OC.

Interesting thought. WVU’s last solid DC came out of Shepherd. As for academics and atmosphere, WVU and Morgantown is a step down in every way except visibility. Might actually be a tough sell

Probably the same reason why no one recruited Tony Romo, Big Ben, Joe Flacco, and a boatload of other successful NFL QBs who came from lower levels.

You have to actually play to get better, and only 1 QB can play per team. It’s not a shocker quality talent drops to lower levels to ensure they get to play and develop without having to worry about being pushed out at the QB position.

Probably the same reason why no one recruited Tony Romo, Big Ben, Joe Flacco, and a boatload of other successful NFL QBs who came from lower levels.

You have to actually play to get better, and only 1 QB can play per team. It’s not a shocker quality talent drops to lower levels to ensure they get to play and develop without having to worry about being pushed out at the QB position.
Yes, and WVU didn’t exactly miss on him. They wanted him when he entered the transfer portal. Tyson chose to remain at Shepherd

Reactions: xWVU2010x
Did WVU not recruit this guy? He's now starting for the Bears. Who dropped the ball on him?
Evidently the lack of players in WV schools causes a cost of recruiting problem .. Much cheaper to recruit multi million populated cities than waste the same amount of cash in WV..... pretty sure i read that somewhere...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT