ADVERTISEMENT

toronto.....regarding the NHL, the playoffs, and the Pens

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Finally back to work this past week after a couple reorganization-related months on the sidelines. I certainly could have been out of work much longer; but no doubt, it's good to be back on someone's payroll again. Better yet, it's even nicer to celebrate with a 3-day weekend here in the States.

Not sure either Ray Shero or Dan Bylsma felt quite that way the past year with multi-million dollar contract payoffs in hand......that said, I do suspect both will be glad to be back in gear on Day 1 of the 2015/16 season. Regarding Bylsma, I guess I too am assuming like most that he's Buffalo's consolation prize after losing their guy the second time in the past month. If he doesn't end up with the Sabres, I have to assume he's somehow gained some reputation as damaged goods.

Speaking of HC's, so the Leafs decided Babcock is worth an 8-year deal. It's obviously their team and their money; and while I agree he's one of the better coaches in the League, I myself wouldn't give any HC in the pros......in any sport......a deal that long. But I realize only Toronto could get that excited about a new coach; and Lord knows, I realize they're desperate for something to get excited about. So, good for them......I guess.

I'm enjoying the semi-finals better than the earlier rounds. Glad to see a little more goal scoring, and glad to see the refs starting to make calls other then high-sticks again. After the Hawks OT win last night, I admit I'm getting pretty sick of seeing virtually every OT game (save Tampa in Game 3) go to the team I'm rooting against. Big win for the Rangers; probably makes them the favorites again in that series. Hawks are obviously alive again, but I like the game the Ducks are playing. Hope they can overcome having Boudreau behind the bench over the course of the series.

One last thing regarding the Pens; long-time Pens beat writer Dave Molinari wrote this morning that GMJR is trying to acquire a #1 pick in the Draft. His theory is their search is primarily targeting the second of the Sabres' two first rounders (#21) and involves......among other things......compensation the Pens are supposedly entitled if Buffalo hires a still-under-contract Dan Bylsma. Obviously, Tim Murray wouldn't even take JR's call regarding #21 if it only involved DB and the compensation, so it makes one wonder who the Pens would move.

I suspect Buffalo would take a look at Derrick Pouliot, but find it hard to believe JR would even consider moving him at this point given the question marks surrounding Kris Letang. Maybe he decides to offer up his #1 in 2016; but simply exchanging #1's seems to defeat the purpose......at least unless the 2016 Draft is considered much worse (which means Murray doesn't go along with that either). Another possibility could, I suppose, be Kapanen.....but if the Pens are giving up on him this quickly, why would someone else take him off JR's hands.

Without putting someone like Malkin on the block.....who I do not think would be part of this kind of discussion.....I can't figure out how something like this gets done (unless the compensation pick ends up much higher than I think). When push comes to shove, I doubt it happens.

Hey toronto, listen to this one from Eklund's :rolleyes: Sabres blogger.......he's theorizing a Cody Hodgson (4 years left at $20 million total) for Alex Semin (3 years left at $21 million total) deal.

I truthfully don't know enough about Hodgson to know if this is even a remotely good idea for Buffalo. I'm very aware he did not endear himself to Sabres fans after signing the big FA contract and following it up with one of the worst seasons of any big-money-contract player in the League. Certainly had the look of another Ville Leino, who I assume became Sabres fans recurring nightmare every time CH stepped onto the ice in the 2nd half this past season.

OTOH, I simply can't imagine anyone in the NHL wanting any part of Semin at a price much more than maybe a third (or perhaps 1/4) of what he's making today. In other words.....before I took a flyer on someone like Semin......I think I'd give Hodgson another chance under a different HC before pulling the trigger on a deal like this. Maybe he'll like playing for Bylsma.

Beyond that, why Murray would willingly let arguably the League's biggest sandbagger in the same building......let alone sit on the same bench.......as Jack Eichel is something I can't quite fathom.

Finally back to work this past week after a couple reorganization-related months on the sidelines. I certainly could have been out of work much longer; but no doubt, it's good to be back on someone's payroll again. Better yet, it's even nicer to celebrate with a 3-day weekend here in the States.

Not sure either Ray Shero or Dan Bylsma felt quite that way the past year with multi-million dollar contract payoffs in hand......that said, I do suspect both will be glad to be back in gear on Day 1 of the 2015/16 season. Regarding Bylsma, I guess I too am assuming like most that he's Buffalo's consolation prize after losing their guy the second time in the past month. If he doesn't end up with the Sabres, I have to assume he's somehow gained some reputation as damaged goods.

Speaking of HC's, so the Leafs decided Babcock is worth an 8-year deal. It's obviously their team and their money; and while I agree he's one of the better coaches in the League, I myself wouldn't give any HC in the pros......in any sport......a deal that long. But I realize only Toronto could get that excited about a new coach; and Lord knows, I realize they're desperate for something to get excited about. So, good for them......I guess.

I'm enjoying the semi-finals better than the earlier rounds. Glad to see a little more goal scoring, and glad to see the refs starting to make calls other then high-sticks again. After the Hawks OT win last night, I admit I'm getting pretty sick of seeing virtually every OT game (save Tampa in Game 3) go to the team I'm rooting against. Big win for the Rangers; probably makes them the favorites again in that series. Hawks are obviously alive again, but I like the game the Ducks are playing. Hope they can overcome having Boudreau behind the bench over the course of the series.

One last thing regarding the Pens; long-time Pens beat writer Dave Molinari wrote this morning that GMJR is trying to acquire a #1 pick in the Draft. His theory is their search is primarily targeting the second of the Sabres' two first rounders (#21) and involves......among other things......compensation the Pens are supposedly entitled if Buffalo hires a still-under-contract Dan Bylsma. Obviously, Tim Murray wouldn't even take JR's call regarding #21 if it only involved DB and the compensation, so it makes one wonder who the Pens would move.

I suspect Buffalo would take a look at Derrick Pouliot, but find it hard to believe JR would even consider moving him at this point given the question marks surrounding Kris Letang. Maybe he decides to offer up his #1 in 2016; but simply exchanging #1's seems to defeat the purpose......at least unless the 2016 Draft is considered much worse (which means Murray doesn't go along with that either). Another possibility could, I suppose, be Kapanen.....but if the Pens are giving up on him this quickly, why would someone else take him off JR's hands.

Without putting someone like Malkin on the block.....who I do not think would be part of this kind of discussion.....I can't figure out how something like this gets done (unless the compensation pick ends up much higher than I think). When push comes to shove, I doubt it happens.
Hoping your Memorial Day weekend was a good one, and the weather was good down Ohio way! Ours was the week before and we actually got some decent temps for a change...
Re: Bylsma, Buffalo really seems to make sense. From what Im hearing up here the Sabres and more specifically Pegoula want to make Buffalo into a Team USA breeding ground with Eichel being such the obvious#2 pick.
I'd love to see GMJR acquire a mid to late pick being this draft is so deep! Also gives me something to look forward to on draft day which I love to tune into each June...

Babcock....lol....seems I was wrong on that one eh? WOW monster contract. The lovefest still has not ceased in Toronto. I'm seriously waiting for the media to report if he's having spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight, and the time/place he'll be washing his truck tomorrow. No question Leaf fans NEED hope, and he's a damn good coach based on his track record, however the Wings are a well oiled machine from top to bottom, which seems to fall on deaf ears of late here...of course this is likely a symptom of actually having ANYTHING positive happen for Leafers...
I hate to say I've missed quite a bit of this semi-final action ,as I've had a couple weeks of pretty early mornings. ..hoping Chicago can pull out the next one so I can tune in Fri night to a game 7 when the wife is out with her girlfriends for her 40th birthday lol! I want to get a good look at this 6'3 240 Andersen between the pipes...although I understand he gave up a few softies last night?

Semin and Hodgson eh?.....those are 2 underachieving players alright! I'm with you...if I'm Murray I want NO PART of Semin on my bench, especially since he's also acquired a fella in Kane who seems known as a troublemaker in need of some attitude adjustment

On a side note ....Russell Martin seems to be really helping this young Jays pitching staff remarkably well over the last few weeks, and is doing fairly well at the plate. Seems such a smart ballplayer and most importantly a leader the Jays REALLY needed...I have a feeling for the first time in years this ballclub has a real shot at competing down the stretch for a post season berth....my fingers are crossed!!!

ADVERTISEMENT