ADVERTISEMENT

This guy is a real sicko.......

I don't understand hunting Lions, Elephants and Giraffes. I'm not an anti-hunter. I just believe in not hunting endangered species, threatened species and only hunting wild game in a free roaming area.

I don't understand hunting Lions, Elephants and Giraffes. I'm not an anti-hunter. I just believe in not hunting endangered species, threatened species and only hunting wild game in a free roaming area.
I agree. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the jackass in the story is a card carrying member of the NRA and Republican Party. :uzi:

I don't consider killing any animal for "fun" a sport. I have no problem with killing for food. I think hitting a clay disc or hitting a bullseye on a target far more sporting than killing a defenseless animal. I also have never understood the hanging of animal heads around ones home, it's just plain sick.

He contributed $5000 to Mitt Romney's campaign in 2012. Didn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out.

Ok, I'll take your bait. I don't care to what party the sicko belonged. One of my neighbors are BIG TIME Democrats here in Jefferson County as well as staunch Obama and Hillary lovers. I puke every fall when I see them unloading their "trophies" in their driveway. Another example thats shows how "narrowed minded" you are.

Ok, I'll take your bait. I don't care to what party the sicko belonged. One of my neighbors are BIG TIME Democrats here in Jefferson County as well as staunch Obama and Hillary lovers. I puke every fall when I see them unloading their "trophies" in their driveway. Another example thats shows how "narrowed minded" you are.
Nothing wrong with killing deer, turkey or any other form of wildlife. People eat what they kill. And it controls the population. Actually good for the species. And it's legal. I think you are reaching. As usual. Comparing the killing of a lion that was released from an enclosure for sport to legal hunting in WV is a ridiculous analogy. Another indication that you aren't very bright.

Nothing wrong with killing deer, turkey or any other form of wildlife. People eat what they kill. And it controls the population. Actually good for the species. And it's legal. I think you are reaching. As usual. Comparing the killing of a lion that was released from an enclosure for sport to legal hunting in WV is a ridiculous analogy. Another indication that you aren't very bright.
^^^ Anti-dentite.

Are you telling me they all do it for the food? If so, why do we see all those bags of rotting deer carcasses littering the roads all over WV in Nov. I think you know better. I'm not reaching, I don't consider hunting for the joy of killing a sport. I guess you missed where I said I have no problem with hunting for food. You lose again.....

Are you telling me they all do it for the food? If so, why do we see all those bags of rotting deer carcasses littering the roads all over WV. I think you know better. I'm not reaching, I don't consider hunting for the joy of killing a sport. I guess you missed where I said I have no problem with hunting for food. You lose again.....

You obviously know nothing about wildlife management. If you have a concern about hunting, take it up with your local legislator. I'm sure he will be all ears. :flush:

Did bornaneer have serious head trauma?
Are you telling me they all do it for the food? If so, why do we see all those bags of rotting deer carcasses littering the roads all over WV in Nov.

Are you really this stupid? You know they get hit by vehicles because they are moving a lot more in November because of the rut?

Let me ask you a simple question. How many deer do you think are harvested annually in WV?

You obviously know nothing about wildlife management. If you have a concern about hunting, take it up with your local legislator. I'm sure he will be all ears. :flush:

I never mentioned wildlife management. This thread was about killing for sport, not about killing for food, culling, wildlife management,politics or the legality of hunting.

I never mentioned wildlife management. This thread was about killing for sport, not about killing for food, culling, wildlife management,politics or the legality of hunting.

Please come back when you have gained enough intelligence to have an adult conversation.

I'm not advocating against it but there is more that goes into it than the individual paying the money. I've had several opportunities to do it but have turned them down. I've had numerous friends go over and do it.

First of all, most of the animals are raised for the specific purpose of hunting them on a multi-thousand acre game preserve. They also heavily regulate the age at which the animal can be killed. Further, the unpleasantness of it is put aside by the locals as the money it generates sustains entire villages, as does the meat from the kill. Every aspect of the animal is consumed, not to mention the increased fees associated with the taxidermy process. This is a substantial economic impact to the local economy.

It's not for me, I've lost my blood lust but I take no issue with those that do. I don't really look at it any different than I do other game animals that are hunted. I personally don't factor in the majestic nature of the animals themselves. I look more at the positive impacts it has on a very depressed economy on the areas in question. With that said, I have heard some horrific stories from one of the owners of the game preserve with Russian billionaires and their actions. He told me one group came in and shot the hell out of anything they saw and just paid the fines and laughed. After they banged out their mistresses on a dead Rhino they shot. Savages those damn Cossack's are.

Did bornaneer have serious head trauma?

Are you really this stupid? You know they get hit by vehicles because they are moving a lot more in November because of the rut?

Let me ask you a simple question. How many deer do you think are harvested annually in WV?

Can you read or did the point go entirely over your head? I never mentioned deer that were hit by vehicles. Please tell me HOW deer hit by vehicles would end up in PLASTIC BAGS along the roads. I'm talking about the ones that your starving food harvesters hack up and leave most of the carcass in plastic bags along the roads. Why would I care how many deer are harvested in WV every year. I also know all about hunting and wildlife in WV. I have seen more deer, as many as 40 at one time and wild turkeys in the fields pictured in my avatar. So don't lecture me about wildlife in WV

I agree. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the jackass in the story is a card carrying member of the NRA and Republican Party. :uzi:
Well the group I have been asked to go with are dyed in the wool Democrats. We can't even discuss politics as they are oblivious to any sort of reality and the worst part is they don't try to educate themselves on anything. Their granddaddy was a Democrat, their daddy was a democrat and by god, they are democrats. Funny though, their personal platform does not coincide with the current DNC guiding philosophy.

Well the group I have been asked to go with are dyed in the wool Democrats. We can't even discuss politics as they are oblivious to any sort of reality and the worst part is they don't try to educate themselves on anything. Their granddaddy was a Democrat, their daddy was a democrat and by god, they are democrats. Funny though, their personal platform does not coincide with the current DNC guiding philosophy.

You can't reason with nuts like Counrtryroads and Doc. They are two teabagging peas in a pod.

You can't reason with nuts like Counrtryroads and Doc. They are two teabagging peas in a pod.

Doc just pointed out that hunting, whether you agree with it or not, is a form of wildlife management (controlling the population). He's exactly right. And since you couldn't answer my question, the number of deer harvested in WV annually is around 100,000.

Doc just pointed out that hunting, whether you agree with it or not, is a form of wildlife management (controlling the population). He's exactly right. And since you couldn't answer my question, the number of deer harvested in WV annually is around 100,000.

And I've talked with big game hunters that claim the same thing about big game.

These people spend enormous amounts of money to have a shot at even hunting a big game animal. This story however sounds like his "guides" were baiting.

I'm not advocating against it but there is more that goes into it than the individual paying the money. I've had several opportunities to do it but have turned them down. I've had numerous friends go over and do it.

First of all, most of the animals are raised for the specific purpose of hunting them on a multi-thousand acre game preserve. They also heavily regulate the age at which the animal can be killed. Further, the unpleasantness of it is put aside by the locals as the money it generates sustains entire villages, as does the meat from the kill. Every aspect of the animal is consumed, not to mention the increased fees associated with the taxidermy process. This is a substantial economic impact to the local economy.

It's not for me, I've lost my blood lust but I take no issue with those that do. I don't really look at it any different than I do other game animals that are hunted. I personally don't factor in the majestic nature of the animals themselves. I look more at the positive impacts it has on a very depressed economy on the areas in question. With that said, I have heard some horrific stories from one of the owners of the game preserve with Russian billionaires and their actions. He told me one group came in and shot the hell out of anything they saw and just paid the fines and laughed. After they banged out their mistresses on a dead Rhino they shot. Savages those damn Cossack's are.

Thank you for this. It actually changed my viewpoint a bit. I still can't say I like it, but it isn't nearly as dispicable to me now.

There's an awful lot of that all over.

Not to mention, the bigger issue for wildlife management in southern Africa is local poaching for the black market. The vast majority of reasons why certain wildlife species are depleted in this area is because of illegal poaching, not trophy hunting. By regulating trophy hunting and providing local participation, you are providing an economic incentive NOT to engage in poaching and thus ensuring conservation of the species.

I am an avid hunter and virtually all the hunting I do is to fill my freezer. However, I don't begrudge other hunters for hunting under other motivations, such as bagging a trophy, as long as they show respect for the animal. Ethics is a personal responsibility and as long as your ethics are within the legal bounds, I'm ok with that.

As for this specific case, I'm going to take what has been said in the media with a grain of salt. Baiting is a common practice in this area for hunting large cats and there is no way for someone to definitively say that they intentionally lured that particular lion by baiting. If the guide and landowner told the hunter that he could legally shoot the lion, how would he know any different?

As for this specific case, I'm going to take what has been said in the media with a grain of salt. Baiting is a common practice in this area for hunting large cats and there is no way for someone to definitively say that they intentionally lured that particular lion by baiting. If the guide and landowner told the hunter that he could legally shoot the lion, how would he know any different?

What they are saying now is that this particular lion had a GPS tracking device on it and was being studied. It was lured off of the preserve or whatever to the area in which it was killed. So in this case, this isn't one of them that was specifically bred for this purpose.

Now, as you said, did they specifically lure THIS lion? I guess only they know, and I agree that the dentist wouldn't know the difference if he was being told it was OK.

Not to mention, the bigger issue for wildlife management in southern Africa is local poaching for the black market. The vast majority of reasons why certain wildlife species are depleted in this area is because of illegal poaching, not trophy hunting. By regulating trophy hunting and providing local participation, you are providing an economic incentive NOT to engage in poaching and thus ensuring conservation of the species.

I am an avid hunter and virtually all the hunting I do is to fill my freezer. However, I don't begrudge other hunters for hunting under other motivations, such as bagging a trophy, as long as they show respect for the animal. Ethics is a personal responsibility and as long as your ethics are within the legal bounds, I'm ok with that.

This.

What they are saying now is that this particular lion had a GPS tracking device on it and was being studied. It was lured off of the preserve or whatever to the area in which it was killed. So in this case, this isn't one of them that was specifically bred for this purpose.

Now, as you said, did they specifically lure THIS lion? I guess only they know, and I agree that the dentist wouldn't know the difference if he was being told it was OK.

The hair from male lion manes makes it difficult to see a GPS tracking collar, especially in low light or brushy conditions that are common in hunting.

It's not like the hunter went into the preserve and shot the lion. Boundaries are there for a reason, but as we know, animals do not observe human-contrived boundaries. If the landowner and guide had a permit to hunt lions on the land, this would be a non-story, as everything about this hunt would be perfectly legal.

The hair from male lion manes makes it difficult to see a GPS tracking collar, especially in low light or brushy conditions that are common in hunting.

It's not like the hunter went into the preserve and shot the lion. Boundaries are there for a reason, but as we know, animals do not observe human-contrived boundaries. If the landowner and guide had a permit to hunt lions on the land, this would be a non-story, as everything about this hunt would be perfectly legal.
It's also possible the hunter wasn't aware that his guides were luring the animal out of the preserve.

Any way you slice it, this dentist is a sicko and a class A asshole I don't care about trophy hunting, permits,animals out of the preserve or any other crap from people trying to justify killing of animals for so called sport. We as sane people are supposed to think highly of a nut like this because he goes out and kills animals for fun. As I said previously, lets arrange a hunt where armed hunters would be allowed to hunt the dentist. I bet the dentist would be cowering and begging and pleading for this "sporting" hunt to stop.

Any way you slice it, this dentist is a sicko and a class A asshole I don't care about trophy hunting, permits,animals out of the preserve or any other crap from people trying to justify killing of animals for so called sport. We as sane people are supposed to think highly of a nut like this because he goes out and kills animals for fun. As I said previously, lets arrange a hunt where armed hunters would be allowed to hunt the dentist. I bet the dentist would be cowering and begging and pleading for this "sporting" hunt to stop.
Get a grip. There is nothing wrong with trophy hunting. If it's not your bag, that's fine.

Get a grip. There is nothing wrong with trophy hunting. If it's not your bag, that's fine.

I feel strongly about this. Hunting in my family goes way back. It was almost like a rite of passage that as a youth, one would hunt. Well, I never felt one pang of joy when I blasted my first squirrel off a tree limb. As I stated, I have zero problem with the harvesting of animals for food. How many deer heads do you have mounted on your den walls? I bet none.

I feel strongly about this. Hunting in my family goes way back. It was almost like a rite of passage that as a youth, one would hunt. Well, I never felt one pang of joy when I blasted my first squirrel off a tree limb. As I stated, I have zero problem with the harvesting of animals for food. How many deer heads do you have mounted on your den walls? I bet none.

I am not addressing Cecil. But as I have learned, trophy hunting is required in these African countries to greatly aid the local economy. They are very expensive and the governments have strict rules about which animals can be hunted (e.g. aged animals). Therefore, the local animal population is not endangered and the economy benefits.

I am not addressing Cecil. But as I have learned, trophy hunting is required in these African countries to greatly aid the local economy. They are very expensive and the governments have strict rules about which animals can be hunted (e.g. aged animals). Therefore, the local animal population is not endangered and the economy benefits.

Some of these guys also pay tens of thousands to only go home empty handed.

I killed my first deer at 8. I never trophy hunted and would prefer to shoot the spots off of them because the meat was better.

I don't have any animals on my wall because I think it's tacky. I lost my bloodlust after going to Iraq. I still fish and even trophy fish. Is that a problem?

I killed my first deer at 8. I never trophy hunted and would prefer to shoot the spots off of them because the meat was better.

I don't have any animals on my wall because I think it's tacky. I lost my bloodlust after going to Iraq. I still fish and even trophy fish. Is that a problem?

Not at all. I may be wrong but I doubt you would have done what the dentist did.

Not at all. I may be wrong but I doubt you would have done what the dentist did.

I heard on the radio this morning that he was being extradited to Zimbabwe to face charges on poaching. I don't like the idea of trophy hunting and it's a shame this lion was killed, but I also think it's bullshit that he's facing charges for poaching. He had guides and all of that, there was no way for him to know that it wasn't a legitimate target, and he wasn't deliberately poaching.

Reminds me....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT