ADVERTISEMENT

The problem I see with Big 12 expansion.

doneagain

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2004
My parent's basement
The big 12 has no cable network like the big 10, the PAC-12, and soon to be SEC.

For those conferences, expansion is all about moving into larger TV markets to sell their network to cable companies.

With the Longhorn Network (and I am not trashing it) that effectively prevents the Big 12 from ever having a conference-wide network.

Texas would be a major draw for a Big 12 Network. Not having their sports featured would be a blow to the financial feasibility of such a network.

Without such a network, there isn't much incentive for the Big 12 to expand. There is no need to go after large market teams. The conference has to rely solely on what networks are willing to pay out, and adding just to add waters down the product and makes matchups between marquee programs fewer and farther between.

Now there could be a deal struck where the conference goes to a set up like the P12, where there are deals with the major networks, then a home-base conference network, and then of course the regional networks. With this model, Texas could keep its channel and maybe Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU develop a regional network that they share.

I don't know if it is still in the works, but I heard that Oklahoma was planning its own network as well. Let them do it. And have Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State pair up to have their own regional channel.

Now this is where expansion comes into play...

I think the Big 10 is money hungry like none other. I don't think they stop at 14, nor 16 members. I think they go to 18, and do so in order to get the Duke-UNC rivalry within their conference. They also take UVA and Georgia Tech. Those 4 states bring nearly 28 million viewers to the Big 10 footprint.

The SEC will stop at 16, however, unless the opportunity in about 15 years presents itself to grab Oklahoma. For now though, as everybody expects, the SEC will grab VT & NC State to get to 16.

Now for the Big 12.

FSU, Miami & Clemson are brought on board. These three teams would create a shared regional network.

So is three of the following four: Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, or Boston College.

My guess is it would be UL, BC & Pitt. These three programs, along with WVU could create a regional network.

On top of the regional networks, there would also be a patent conference network like the P12 has.

The divisions or pods COULD be set up a number of different ways.

POD 1
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU

POD 2
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State

POD 3
Iowa State
WVU
Pitt
BC

POD 4
FSU
UL
Miami
Clemson

Each year, each pod will play the 3 members of its pod, plus it will face off against all for members of one of the other pods, and each year the pod matchups would rotate. The pod matchups would give 7 conference games per season. For an eighth game, an inter-pod match up would be an annual designated rivalry, like Texas/Oklahoma. In years where they naturally face off in pods, another team would be substituted.

YEAR 1:
Pod 1 plays Pod 4
Pod 2 plays Pod 3

YEAR 2
Pod 1 plays Pod 2
Pod 3 plays Pod 4

YEAR 3
Pod 1 plays Pod 3
Pod 4 plays Pod 2

ETC...

They continue to rotate each following year, home and away. Every 6 years each school in the conference has a home and away with each member of the conference.

Instead of Divisions for determining a championship, the two conference teams with the best conference records determines who meets in the conference title game. In the event of a tie, the team with the best overall record wins the tie breaker. If there is still a tie, the team with the highest rank wins the tie breaker.

That set up prevents a scenario like the ACC has this year where you have 2 ten win teams in one division yet only one makes the title game to face a 6-6 GT team from the other division. The two best teams go to the championship game.

If the pod set up isn't favorable, then a zipper alignment of divisions could be a possibility.

RED DIVISION
Texas
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Kansas
WVU
Louisville
BC
Miami

BLACK DIVISION
FSU
Clemson
Pitt
Iowa State
TCU
Texas Tech
Kansas State
Oklahoma

You still have designated matchups between divisions. I doubt there is much support for the zipper alignment though.

The thing with your zipper alignment is you've put Oklahoma in a different division than both Texas and Oklahoma State. So which rivalry dies? Red River or Bedlam?

BTW, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have all come up with their own individual plans regarding third teir rights.

The whole point of my post was the problem with expansion. I only suggested a possible solution if the conference wanted to go that route anyway.

As for the zipper alignment, I don't like it at all, but the PAC-12 toyed with using a zipper set up, so I thought I would throw it out there to mull over.

If you read the very last statement I made in the original post, I said I didn't think there would be much support for such a set up.

I realize mid-western fans follow local schools and vice versa eastern fans.

My point in saying that is WVU's rivalries are no less important and have been no less heated than anything you have had in the Big 8, SWC, or the Big 12.

Want proof? Go to the Pitt board, the Boston College Board, the Virginia Tech Board, the Syracuse board, the Maryland board, the Miami board or the Penn State board and ask their fans what they think of WVU. Likewise, ask WVU fans what they think of those schools.

What am I getting at?

WVU no longer plays these schools with the exception of Maryland - and now that will probably end as well with their decision to join the Big 10.

They were all long term rivalries that were heated. Some were lop-sided in our favor, some in the other team's favor. Some more heated than others.

Money changed all of that. You are certainly entitled to believe how you like, and I am fine with that. But Texas and Texas A&M no longer play. Who would have thought that 5 years ago?

Oklahoma and Nebraska?

The world is changing all over the college football landscape and money is the driving force.

I am not saying Texas and Oklahoma will one day stop playing each other.

I am just saying that it is naive to think that rivalries will trump a dollar in this day and age.

That's all true, and all the more reason not to end rivalries that don't have to be ended. As long as all three of those schools share one conference I see no reason for the conference to throw away it's best two remaining rivalry games.

When/if we expand we need to do something to address West Virginia's geographic isolation, and hopefully return a rival for you guys.

Originally posted by TheRedSon:
That's all true, and all the more reason not to end rivalries that don't have to be ended. As long as all three of those schools share one conference I see no reason for the conference to throw away it's best two remaining rivalry games.

When/if we expand we need to do something to address West Virginia's geographic isolation, and hopefully return a rival for you guys.
Our biggest rival is Pitt, but that's a conundrum. We also don't want to see Pitt benefit from being invited into the Big 12. :)

100 years from now, lord willing, we could be talking about the long storied rivalry between WVU and Texas Tech. Or between FSU and TCU.

Rivalries that were big 50 years ago aren't all around today, but no one would say college football is any less exciting today than it was then.

With the exception of PSU and Maryland, all the rest of the schools I mentioned as being former rivals of WVU actually WERE in the same conference as WVU.

Money makes people Change their minds, makes people change affiliations, makes teams switch conferences.

Yep as long as the LHN exists, the B12 will lag behind other conference and potentially have stability issues.

If conferences go to 16 teams, then they will have to expand the number of games played each year to about 11 conference games. Makes zero sense to have that many teams and you can only play some of those teams every 4 years.

To make this work that makes sense, you'd want to play two pods every year.

And, yes, I understand the playoffs that would happen, but that would only benefit a handful of teams. The bottom tier teams wouldn't have a chance to participate in those playoffs.

Very bad for the fans.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

doneagain posted on 11/25/2012...

The big 12 has no cable network like the big 10, the PAC-12, and soon to be SEC.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's not to say they won't develop one at some point if it seems advisable. I think it's a good time to let the market settle for awhile and see what happens. There is talk of an a la carte situation for cable systems and that would be bad news for the B1G's network income long term.

A conference network seems on the surface to make sense because it is somewhat of a guaranteed revenue generator.

We don't know though what might happen in the future. Will cable be offered ala carte in the next 10 years? If so then the conference network has to find another way to guarantee huge sums of cash to its conference.

Right now the B1G pays out $24 mil for everything to conference members. Reports said the BIG 12 paid out $19 mil last year.

A recent Forbes article shows the BIG 12 paying out $26 mil per team and the B1G $25 per team. The numbers aren't including the BIG 12 tier 3 deals though, so its probable that BIG 12 payouts remain very close to the other top two or three payouts no matter what.

Bowlsby stated the conference will get increases for expanding so its likely the league will. It's really a matter of how much of an increase to offset splitting NCAA revenues and bowl revenues more.

If they can add someone like FSU and another valuable program and can get the payouts from FOX and ESPN up to the $30 mil per team from tv from $26, then with the tier 3 rights the league will be right there with the other top leagues.

They are going to look at the size that makes the most sense.

I don't know if it is still in the works, but I heard that Oklahoma was planning its own network as well. Let them do it. And have Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State pair up to have their own regional channel.
The Iowa State Athletics Department has agreed to a five-year partnership with Mediacom to distribute programming, currently produced and aired on Cyclones.tv, across Iowa and into several bordering states via a fully dedicated Cyclone sports channel on Mediacom's cable television network.

"This agreement allows our athletics program to become only the third institution nationally (Texas and BYU) with a fully dedicated channel for its sports teams," says Iowa State Athletics Director Jamie Pollard.

http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/2012/12/09/iowa-state-inks-deal-for-cyclones-tv-channel-with-mediacom/

Oklahoma and other BIG 12 schools have signed agreements with FOX sports on their tier 3 rights. Oklahoma's network is getting national coverage right now. Actually I've seen regional FOX is also carrying BIG 12 basketball in the Big 10 area I live in.

The B1G 10 is reportedly looking at a 9 or even 10 game league schedule. The BIG 12 is already at 9 and the PAC 12 also.
Originally posted by cappergeek:
If conferences go to 16 teams, then they will have to expand the number of games played each year to about 11 conference games. Makes zero sense to have that many teams and you can only play some of those teams every 4 years.

To make this work that makes sense, you'd want to play two pods every year.

And, yes, I understand the playoffs that would happen, but that would only benefit a handful of teams. The bottom tier teams wouldn't have a chance to participate in those playoffs.

Very bad for the fans.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT