ADVERTISEMENT

The NY Times just published a picture of

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
the pope made from condoms. But they won't publish a picture of a cartoon of Muhammad. I wonder why?

the pope made from condoms. But they won't publish a picture of a cartoon of Muhammad. I wonder why?
Do you think those two are the same? and you're stating that the NY Times's official position on Muhammad cartoons is that they won't publish one? or that they never have? or what?

Do you think those two are the same? and you're stating that the NY Times's official position on Muhammad cartoons is that they won't publish one? or that they never have? or what?
How is it not the same?

Will you draw us a cartoon of Muhammad and show it here? Why or why not?

How is it not the same?
I'm no religious expert but the Pope is the living leader of the Catholic church and the Prophet Muhammad is the dead religious prophet whose life and writings are what an entire religion is based upon, very similar to Jesus. The Pope is just one of many who have held that position. I don't see the Pope and Muhammad as being on the same footing.

I'm no religious expert but the Pope is the living leader of the Catholic church and the Prophet Muhammad is the dead religious prophet whose life and writings are what an entire religion is based upon, very similar to Jesus. The Pope is just one of many who have held that position. I don't see the Pope and Muhammad as being on the same footing.
Ok. So deaparaging depictions of Christ, where do you stand?

Ok. So deaparaging depictions of Christ, where do you stand?
I support freedom of speech and that would fall into that. I support anyone to wants to draw cartoons of Muhammad but I personally won't be sponsoring any contests any time soon. 3:16 makes it sound like the NY Times won't publish Muhammad cartoons and that is either true or false or he just doesn't know (very likely). Either way he's chosen silence on the matter which makes me suspect that last choice.

You can't even draw a stick figure?????????
That's what it was going to be but getting that image into my post was the stumbling block. You could be my tech advisor and I'd give you credit (along with your physical address) when I post my cartoon.

That's what it was going to be but getting that image into my post was the stumbling block. You could be my tech advisor and I'd give you credit (along with your physical address) when I post my cartoon.

So you're not smart enough to use a scanner? not surprised by that....

I support freedom of speech and that would fall into that. I support anyone to wants to draw cartoons of Muhammad but I personally won't be sponsoring any contests any time soon. 3:16 makes it sound like the NY Times won't publish Muhammad cartoons and that is either true or false or he just doesn't know (very likely). Either way he's chosen silence on the matter which makes me suspect that last choice.

The NY Times has bluntly stated that they don't want to offend Muslims and will not be showing any Muhammad cartoons. They did show photos of the Piss Christ display, however.

The NY Times has bluntly stated that they don't want to offend Muslims and will not be showing any Muhammad cartoons. They did show photos of the Piss Christ display, however.
That's good to know....no link of course.

It almost kills me to do this but I'm going to agree completely with WVPATX There is a complete double standard when it comes to Muslims and Muhammad and the (very understandable) reason is that you literally put your life in danger if you do things like draw a cartoon of Muhammad. A couple months back they had a Draw Muhammad contest in Texas and a couple people literally tried to kill the contestants.

South Park covered this very well several years ago when they had an episode where they were going to show a cartoon Muhammad and when the time came the words came on the screen instead saying that Comedy Central forbid them from showing a cartoon image of Muhammad. That episode ended with a cartoon Jesus and a cartoon George W. Bush (then POTUS) pooping on the American flag.

The point was obvious. No matter how offensive something is to mainstream America you're still allowed to do it without fear and yet you can't show even an image of Muhammad. Total double standard.

They had the big Muhammad cartoon controversy in Denmark or wherever several years ago that sparked riots and violence in the Muslim world. Did they end up putting those cartoons in the New York Times? I don't know but I doubt it. Most American media did not show the cartoons despite that fact that they were obviously important news.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT