ADVERTISEMENT

The Formula To Make A Great WVU Fan

LowFatMilk

All-Conference
Apr 21, 2012
Seemingly a broad topic....so I've delayed starting this thread.

I suppose I'm thinking a 'preview' might help me get insight from others before I share an opinion that at this time would certainly be considered controversial.

Do you need to be an alum..?

Do you need to be a lifetime fan (grow up in WV) ?

Easy questions.....seemingly...

OK, I'll bite.
A WVU fan, or a fan of any team, supports that team when it's losing, but isn't blind to its weaknesses. I'm in Mountaineer Field for every game, regardless of the opponent or WVU's season record. I hope WVU goes 12-0 and wins the national title every year, even though that's never happened.
My home is filled with WV items, in every room of the house, on my JO 4 WVU Ohio license plate, on the WV flag hanging above my garage door. I donat far more to the MAC than the minimum required to get good season tickets. I wear "WV" clothing nearly everywhere I go, and have people come up to me and talk about the Mountaineers, from Thailand to Egypt to Norway, often because they, too, are West Virginians.
My children buy me birthday, Father's Day and Christmas presents with "WV" on them. My golf clubs have "WV" covers for the woods.
I bleed WVU blue and gold. And I put my money where my mouth is.

But I also express my doubts when Dana has the team 18-20 for three years. My 13 years of being paid to cover sports won't let me follow WVU blindly. Just enthusiastically.

So while I'm cleaning out a home file-cabinet this lazy Sunday afternoon I come across my birth certificate... Of course I've always known that I was born in Baltimore, a fact that my friends who are also Steelers fans remember at all the wrong times. Now I know there's yet another issue.... ...I was born in University Of Maryland Hospital.

Am I defying destiny by being a Eers and Steelers fan ? Do the sports gods really think that I could possibly be a Terp or Ravens fan (although I was a Colts fan before the historic Mayflower move) ??

So while I'm cleaning out a home file-cabinet this lazy Sunday afternoon I come across my birth certificate... Of course I've always known that I was born in Baltimore, a fact that my friends who are also Steelers fans remember at all the wrong times. Now I know there's yet another issue.... ...I was born in University Of Maryland Hospital.

Am I defying destiny by being a Eers and Steelers fan ? Do the sports gods really think that I could possibly be a Terp or Ravens fan (although I was a Colts fan before the historic Mayflower move) ??

If you can't answer that question yourself, then you might not be a WVU fan? Just kidding at your expense. Well, not really.

If you can't answer that question yourself, then you might not be a WVU fan? Just kidding at your expense. Well, not really.

I take no pride being born in Baltimore....NONE. Truth is...most people I know think I spent most of my life in WV while in fact it was only a large percentage of my childhood (including some college) years while a very small percentage of my entire life.

After pretty much being in every state in the country it's still where I call home.....it's still my version of Utopia during this life.

Reactions: Tenn.EER
I take no pride being born in Baltimore....NONE. Truth is...most people I know think I spent most of my life in WV while in fact it was only a large percentage of my childhood (including some college) years while a very small percentage of my entire life.

After pretty much being in every state in the country it's still where I call home.....it's still my version of Utopia during this life.

West Virginia living will do that to you. I have lived in other countries longer than I lived in West Virginia, but WV, is and always will be, my home. Just as WVU is, and always will be, the only team I cheer for in any sport.

Grew up in Welch and have been a huge Mountaineer fan my whole life. I eat, sleep and breathe WVU football and basketball. I have a room upstairs that is wall to wall West Virginia memorabilia. I even have the flying WV on my right arm that I had done for my 40th birthday years ago. It's such a huge part of my life and I can't imagine being a fan of any other college team. I have told my wife that when I die, do not put me in a suit but one of my favorite Mountaineer jerseys because those that know me know I wouldn't want it any other way. [WVU]

Grew up in Welch and have been a huge Mountaineer fan my whole life. I eat, sleep and breathe WVU football and basketball. I have a room upstairs that is wall to wall West Virginia memorabilia. I even have the flying WV on my right arm that I had done for my 40th birthday years ago. It's such a huge part of my life and I can't imagine being a fan of any other college team. I have told my wife that when I die, do not put me in a suit but one of my favorite Mountaineer jerseys because those that know me know I wouldn't want it any other way. [WVU]

My children have the same instructions. And they are to bury me under the grave marker for my late wife and I that has "WV" under each of our names. WVU will let you do that without charge. It's a rare time when they don't insist on royalty fees. If you're in North Lawn Memorial Gardens in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, you can check it out for yourself. And, instead of "Taps," they will play "Country Roads" and Mountain Mama will be taking me home to the place where I belong.

My parents are from Morgantown but I was born out of country. Even though I have lived in quite a few other states and a couple countries, I consider Morgantown home. I went to WVU after being a lifelong fan because my parents were fans. Neither of them went to WVU, so am I more of a fan than them?
Being a fan is about you as an individual. There are no guidelines or prerequisites.

BTW, I dislike Baltimore. I have went to a couple conferences down at the inner harbor and i didn't even like it there. I have family in Ellicott City and I don't like it there either.

Reactions: AirForceer

At work on casual work Friday, what do you wear? A shirt with something WVU related on it. There is no other option. Thanks for metioning that, I better go update my will? Damn, does that mean I'm not a good WVU fan???? Seriously, though I feel the same way.

Born in University Hospital in 1973 when my Dad (born and raised WV) and my Mom (born and raised WV) were living in South Park and Dad was attending law school. Moved from Morgantown to Charleston, then Abingdon, VA to Huntington before settling in my parents' hometown of Wheeling. Raised a Mountaineer fan with others in Wheeling, attended high school and then bachelor's from WVU. After having moved all over this great country from Washington and Montana to Vermont and North Carolina, now back and married in WV to a WV woman. I don't care where you are from, where you were born, whether you went to WVU or not (certainly helps) if you have adopted WVU as your "team" then we have adopted "you" as well!
I hear you Tenn.Eer I have Montani Semper Liberi on my right arm

Born in University Hospital in 1973 when my Dad (born and raised WV) and my Mom (born and raised WV) were living in South Park and Dad was attending law school. Moved from Morgantown to Charleston, then Abingdon, VA to Huntington before settling in my parents' hometown of Wheeling. Raised a Mountaineer fan with others in Wheeling, attended high school and then bachelor's from WVU. After having moved all over this great country from Washington and Montana to Vermont and North Carolina, now back and married in WV to a WV woman. I don't care where you are from, where you were born, whether you went to WVU or not (certainly helps) if you have adopted WVU as your "team" then we have adopted "you" as well!
I hear you Tenn.Eer I have Montani Semper Liberi on my right arm

Where did yuu live in Montana? I've been there a few times fly fishing and such. I know its a huge state and I've never been in northern Montana. Western, southern and eastern is the areas I have ventured.

At work on casual work Friday, what do you wear? A shirt with something WVU related on it. There is no other option. Thanks for metioning that, I better go update my will? Damn, does that mean I'm not a good WVU fan???? Seriously, though I feel the same way.
I wish I could, I work the USPS and there is no such thing as casual Friday in my craft. Oh yeah, I told her that she better remember that request...it's very important to me.

Reactions: AirForceer
I wish I could, I work the USPS and there is no such thing as casual Friday in my craft. Oh yeah, I told her that she better remember that request...it's very important to me.

Rumor has it that every Friday is a 'casual Friday' when you work for the USPS, not to mention Monday thru Thursday. ....don't even get me started about Saturday ( and certainly not about pensions).

....oh wait...you guys are talking uniforms/clothing.....

Edit: ...and Tenn.EER, I hope you recognize I'm joshing around....mostly.

Last edited:

Since you are married to a WV gal, you probably don't have to worry. In fact, it's probably an unspoken understanding.

Does the hair tingle up the back of your head when you watch your favorite replay moment from a game? Do your eyes well up with tears during "Country Roads" after home victories? I would think those types of things might be included on a list of Mountaineer fan qualities.

Does the hair tingle up the back of your head when you watch your favorite replay moment from a game? Do your eyes well up with tears during "Country Roads" after home victories? I would think those types of things might be included on a list of Mountaineer fan qualities.

Country Roads is ok...even fun after a big win. (NEVER any overdramatic tears though). Not that you mentioned The Pride....I really don't care if we have the band at home games and almost prefer that they don't travel to the ones on the road.

....and can't recall EVER having a single 'hair tingle' during a replay/highlight.

--------------

So I disagree that those matter when 'judging' who may be 'true fans'.

Country Roads is ok...even fun after a big win. (NEVER any overdramatic tears though). Not that you mentioned The Pride....I really don't care if we have the band at home games and almost prefer that they don't travel to the ones on the road.

....and can't recall EVER having a single 'hair tingle' during a replay/highlight.

--------------

So I disagree that those matter when 'judging' who may be 'true fans'.

Well, let me be the first to disagree with you. Furthermore, your starting to appear less and less like a hard core WVU fan. If Country Roads, after a big win, does not bring a joyfull tear to your eye, then what does? The fact that you stated "can't recall EVER having a single 'hair tingle' during a replay/highlight", makes me think you are from Baltimore and might be a closet Terps fan? Just saying!!!!

Last edited:
Well, let me be the first to disagree with you. Furthermore, your starting to appear less and less like a hard core WVU fan. If Country Roads, after a big win, does not bring a joyfull tear to your eye, then what does? The fact that you stated "can't recall EVER having a single 'hair tingle' during a replay/highlight", makes me think you are from Baltimore and might be a closet Terps fan? Just saying!!!!

First to disagree wth with me ? ....hardly.

Anyway, I wrote that Country Roads after a big win can be fun... ..but no silly ( for such a situation) f'n tears in my eyes. Sorry.

I think people like being over-dramatic in an effort to prove they're 'true fans'. I'm here on a regular basis. You're here on a regular basis. There's almost nothing substantial happening at this time in WVU athletics and we're still here. I'd say we're pretty hardcore... ...but maybe you have a higher standard.

Anyway, I wrote that Country Roads after a big win can be fun... ..but no silly ( for such a situation) f'n tears in my eyes. Sorry.

I think people like being over-dramatic in an effort to prove they're 'true fans'. I'm here on a regular basis. You're here on a regular basis. There's almost nothing substantial happening at this time in WVU athletics and we're still here. I'd say we're pretty hardcore... ...but maybe you have a higher standard.

This, I can certainly agree with. Sure will be nice when football season gets here.

Believe me or not, I really don't care. I'm not looking for your approval and could care less what you think.

Believe me or not, I really don't care. I'm not looking for your approval and could care less what you think.

You can write that you don't care what I think....but the 'tone' of your reply suggest that you hang on every word I type.

Hair tingling on the back of heads watching game highlights.....tears during a post game rendition of Country Roads....??? I can't say 100% that most other 'hardcore' fans don't experience the hair tingle....but it's highly doubtful. I can say that most (true or hardcore) EERS fans don't tear-up during Country Roads. How do I know ? It's because I've never seen it.....and (usually) I pass a lot of fans on my way out of the stadium during the song.

Sure, after a big win 'participating' in the celebration song can be fun (as I previously wrote)....but not the overdramatic 'tearful'.

If it was up to me to come up with a formula I would say...You have to attend atleast 1 football game against a "weaker opponent" and during that game you have to be ok with fans standing up. Also you have to admit when your wrong when it concerns a suggestion or statement you made about WVU if in fact you are proven to be wrong. Which eliminates almost everyone on this site.

Maybe the title should be "consummate" fan. Lots of room for opinions.

I do not believe a consummate fan needs to donate four, five, or six figures annually to the University - the Foundation and/or the MAC. However, I believe the consummate fan should be donating annually at least to the MAC. I have friends who claim to "support" the Mountaineers and have never (sic) donated a dime to the University, nor ever bought a season ticket.

I do not believe the consummate fan need be a season ticket holder, as there are a multitude of reasons why it isn't convenient - geography, family, finances, job. I do think an occasional live attendance at a home, away. or post season game is a reasonable qualification.

I do not believe the consummate fan need necessarily be avid for both football and baseball. I know fans who donate heavily and hold season tickets for one sport but not the other. Most of those seem to care little about the so-called minor sports.

I do believe the consummate fan gets bonus point for interest in, attendance at, and financial support of minor sports - and the WVU band. But any fan who has never watched our baseball team, both soccer teams, wrestling, volleyball, rifle or other sports, is missing out on a total Mountaineer experience.

Not everyone is as thrilled by the Pride of West Virginia as most Mountaineer fans (Those folks, I believe to be genetically flawed). However, those who would prefer the band not travel away from Morgantown are inconsiderate of our opponents' fans, and should be shot at dawn. I recall an LSU fan in Baton Rouge telling me that the Mountaineer band was the best visiting band he'd seen in over 50 years as a season ticket holder (Think about that one). The WVU band is one of the nation's finest and should be appreciated. I believe most consummate fans get chills when the band plays "Simple Gifts" out of the pre-game mushroom formation.

A consummate fan absolutely should NOT treat fans of our opponents with disrespect and certainly not be assaulting them with foul language. Those fans support their team enough to spend time and money following them and have a right to enjoy the experience peacefully. Consummate fans go out of their way to welcome visitors and to wish them well - other than a final score.

A consummate fan should treat our own WVU fans with respect and decency, in particular those who are older and have continuously supported the Mountaineers for decades. Somehow, I believe that younger fans I have observed belligerently blocking views of older fans will never themselves be an older fan.

Consummate fans do not get stinking drunk at games and act obnoxiously, nor do they brandish t-shirts bearing foul language. Such persons are not even fans, merely ignorant and inconsiderate.

I believe that consummate fans are appreciative of every WVU student athlete, whether Pat White, Juwan Staten, or the walk-ons who never see game experience, yet contribute every day. One of my fondest WVU memories is of Markell Harrison against Eastern Washington when he led the Mountaineers on a final 80 yard drive, completing 3 of 3 passes and running five times for positive yardage, including the TD. I'd bet it's one of his, too (though he logged a lot of ESPN face time signalling plays for Rich Rodriguez).

I don't think a consummate fan needs to spend a huge part of his/her disposable income on gold and blue flying WV clothing, home, auto, and other accessories, but whatever is owned should always be displayed with pride. Most consummate fans travel, particularly on public transportation, wearing WV clothing, and thoroughly enjoy engaging folks in other regions who recognize and appreciate the Mountaineer spirit.

Perhaps most importantly, a consummate fan will faithfully support the Mountaineers, win or lose, through undefeated seasons and lean years, through thick and thin, unwaveringly, and will never, ever, boo a Mountaineer player. (See Cuyahoga Falls Eers.)

Maybe the title should be "consummate" fan. Lots of room for opinions.

I do not believe a consummate fan needs to donate four, five, or six figures annually to the University - the Foundation and/or the MAC. However, I believe the consummate fan should be donating annually at least to the MAC. I have friends who claim to "support" the Mountaineers and have never (sic) donated a dime to the University, nor ever bought a season ticket.

I do not believe the consummate fan need be a season ticket holder, as there are a multitude of reasons why it isn't convenient - geography, family, finances, job. I do think an occasional live attendance at a home, away. or post season game is a reasonable qualification.

I do not believe the consummate fan need necessarily be avid for both football and baseball. I know fans who donate heavily and hold season tickets for one sport but not the other. Most of those seem to care little about the so-called minor sports.

I do believe the consummate fan gets bonus point for interest in, attendance at, and financial support of minor sports - and the WVU band. But any fan who has never watched our baseball team, both soccer teams, wrestling, volleyball, rifle or other sports, is missing out on a total Mountaineer experience.

Not everyone is as thrilled by the Pride of West Virginia as most Mountaineer fans (Those folks, I believe to be genetically flawed). However, those who would prefer the band not travel away from Morgantown are inconsiderate of our opponents' fans, and should be shot at dawn. I recall an LSU fan in Baton Rouge telling me that the Mountaineer band was the best visiting band he'd seen in over 50 years as a season ticket holder (Think about that one). The WVU band is one of the nation's finest and should be appreciated. I believe most consummate fans get chills when the band plays "Simple Gifts" out of the pre-game mushroom formation.

A consummate fan absolutely should NOT treat fans of our opponents with disrespect and certainly not be assaulting them with foul language. Those fans support their team enough to spend time and money following them and have a right to enjoy the experience peacefully. Consummate fans go out of their way to welcome visitors and to wish them well - other than a final score.

A consummate fan should treat our own WVU fans with respect and decency, in particular those who are older and have continuously supported the Mountaineers for decades. Somehow, I believe that younger fans I have observed belligerently blocking views of older fans will never themselves be an older fan.

Consummate fans do not get stinking drunk at games and act obnoxiously, nor do they brandish t-shirts bearing foul language. Such persons are not even fans, merely ignorant and inconsiderate.

I believe that consummate fans are appreciative of every WVU student athlete, whether Pat White, Juwan Staten, or the walk-ons who never see game experience, yet contribute every day. One of my fondest WVU memories is of Markell Harrison against Eastern Washington when he led the Mountaineers on a final 80 yard drive, completing 3 of 3 passes and running five times for positive yardage, including the TD. I'd bet it's one of his, too (though he logged a lot of ESPN face time signalling plays for Rich Rodriguez).

I don't think a consummate fan needs to spend a huge part of his/her disposable income on gold and blue flying WV clothing, home, auto, and other accessories, but whatever is owned should always be displayed with pride. Most consummate fans travel, particularly on public transportation, wearing WV clothing, and thoroughly enjoy engaging folks in other regions who recognize and appreciate the Mountaineer spirit.

Perhaps most importantly, a consummate fan will faithfully support the Mountaineers, win or lose, through undefeated seasons and lean years, through thick and thin, unwaveringly, and will never, ever, boo a Mountaineer player. (See Cuyahoga Falls Eers.)

Reading the statement you made about being genetically flawed made me think of the movie wrong turn.

If you follow the program you are a fan. If you donate to the program you are a "fanatic." I remember reading the Michigan State board two years ago when they made that Rose bowl run. Some of them developed a ego and decided you could not be a true fan unless you were alumni. They reminded me of VT fans when Vick was there.

OK, I'll bite.
A WVU fan, or a fan of any team, supports that team when it's losing, but isn't blind to its weaknesses. I'm in Mountaineer Field for every game, regardless of the opponent or WVU's season record. I hope WVU goes 12-0 and wins the national title every year, even though that's never happened.
My home is filled with WV items, in every room of the house, on my JO 4 WVU Ohio license plate, on the WV flag hanging above my garage door. I donat far more to the MAC than the minimum required to get good season tickets. I wear "WV" clothing nearly everywhere I go, and have people come up to me and talk about the Mountaineers, from Thailand to Egypt to Norway, often because they, too, are West Virginians.
My children buy me birthday, Father's Day and Christmas presents with "WV" on them. My golf clubs have "WV" covers for the woods.
I bleed WVU blue and gold. And I put my money where my mouth is.

But I also express my doubts when Dana has the team 18-20 for three years. My 13 years of being paid to cover sports won't let me follow WVU blindly. Just enthusiastically.
CF Eers...I agree with your WVU fan perspective and resemble your remarks :). Believe your definition should also include rooting for and attending games involving WVU teams in other sports outside of football too, such as soccer, baseball, and basketball, etc. As far as Holgs, I called our 4-4 season record in advance (even as a football season ticketholder) and added that we would win 7 games in 2014-2015 season and 8 games in 2015-2016. I was correct on the first two predictions though not sure about the latter, given our QB and WR youth challenge this year. My point is, it's a power conference, I decided to give Dana 4-5 years. I think we're headed in the right direction. We'll see where we stand after this season--Dana wins 8, he stays in my book. Need to throw more to TE, RBs, and underneath coverage this year to keep defenses honest.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT