ADVERTISEMENT

The 15 schools with the highest Cost-of-Attendance payouts (60% of the B12 Conference on list):

wbgvwbgv

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2001
1. Tennessee: $5,666 SEC
2. Auburn: $5,586 SEC
3. Louisville: $5,202 ACC
4. Mississippi State: $5,126 SEC
5. Texas Tech: $5,100 Big XII
6. Penn State: $4,788 B1G
7. TCU: $4,700 Big XII
8. Oklahoma: $4,614 Big XII
9. Oklahoma State: $4,560 Big XII

10. Ole Miss: $4,500 SEC
11. Wisconsin: $4,316 B1G
12. Texas: $4,310 Big XII
13. South Carolina: $4,151 SEC
14. Kansas State: $4,112 Big XII
15. Arkansas: $4,002 SEC

http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2015/04/cost-of-attendance-payouts.html

We should have been on this list - was Lyons asleep at the wheel? I just hope we don't have another penny wise pound foolish athletic director.

Last edited:
We should have been on this list - was Lyons asleep at the wheel?

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/article28342144.html

The cost of attending Big 12 universities on top of tuition, room and board:

1. Texas Tech $5,100

2. TCU $4,700

3. Oklahoma $4,614

4. Oklahoma State $4,560

5. Texas $4,310

6. Kansas State $4,112

7. Baylor $3,882

8. Kansas $3,076

9. Iowa State $2,430

10. West Virginia $1,971

Source: Chronicle of Education

Cost-of-attendance money could take place of jobs for college athletes

By the end of his sophomore season, James McFarland was tired of running out of money.

He had enough to get by, but his TCU football scholarship could only cover so many unexpected expenses. So McFarland, now a senior defensive end for the Horned Frogs, applied for a job at Fuzzy’s Taco Shop by campus and was hired as a cashier.

“I was tired of relying on everybody else for money,” he said. “So I was just thinking I’d go out and make my own money for a little bit, and see what that’s like.”

McFarland, though, soon remembered why he hadn’t gotten a job sooner. Between class and workouts, even part-time work conflicted with his schedule. When his grades began to slip, he quit.

The prospect of collecting extra spending money — the kind he was trying to earn at Fuzzy’s — is what excites McFarland the most about the new Big 12 policy that will cover full “cost of attendance” on top of scholarships this school year.

The measure was passed by the conference last December and by all Power 5 leagues in January. Its goal is to cover the cost gap between a “grant-in-aid” scholarship and the actual cost to attend a certain university, factoring in external expenses like local housing rates, airfare, and miscellaneous fees.

For TCU scholarship athletes, it will mean around an extra $4,700. That’s the second most in the Big 12, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education. Texas Tech’s projected figure, as reported in April, was the league’s highest, at $5,100, while West Virginia’s was the lowest at $1,971.

Over the course of a year, the extra money will equate to a few hundred extra dollars a month. That’s about what a college student might earn with a part-time job, which is difficult to maintain for most athletes.

An in-season job isn’t an option, and the second semester is filled with winter workouts and spring practices.

“I haven’t been able to even apply for a job with how much time we commit to our classes and everything,” West Virginia offensive lineman Tyler Orlosky said.

Said Oklahoma State cornerback Kevin Peterson, “We pick the job we have now: Football.”

Kansas State safety Dante Barnett has worked security during the summer.

That’s also when Iowa State cornerback Sam E. Richardson works at the university’s library, checking out DVDs. He eased into the job last year, clocking a handful of $7.25 hours per week, before increasing his schedule this year.

For Richardson, his biggest cost has been travel. He’s from League City, south of Houston. A round trip flight from Des Moines, Iowa, to Texas has cost him at least $500 each time he goes home twice a year.

The extra money should help cover travel costs like the ones Richardson detailed, and other expenses not covered by the usual allowance for housing and meal plans. TCU, for example, allotted $1,200 of its extra $4,700 for travel costs.

Kansas State coach Bill Snyder said the new money is “moving in the right direction.”

“There’s an awful lot of guys who can’t afford to do anything outside of the bare necessities,” Snyder said. “And I don’t think [extra cost of attendance money] is paying players. ... It is providing them with what we said we’d provide them with: The quality education and the expenses for a normal college existence.”

Snyder does have one qualm with the new policy.

Because each school determines its own cost of attendance figure, discrepancies exist. Most aren’t drastic, and when divided monthly, often amount to a difference of $100 or less.

But there is a noticeable range, as evidenced in the Big 12 by West Virginia ($1,971) and Texas Tech ($5,100). Iowa, Notre Dame, USC and Michigan State will also have cost of attendance payouts less than $2,000, according to the Chronicle for Higher Education

Earlier this week, the NCAA committed $18.9 million to Division I cost-of-attendance funds, which should soften the burden schools face when determining their figures.

But Snyder said he’d like to see a more equal way of calculating what each school should give.

“You have to question some of that, those numbers and how you come up with those numbers,” he said. “The cost of Burger King is no different in Boston than it is in Kansas.”

Last edited:
You would have thought since WVU recruits so many kids from out of state that they would of included a sizable amount for travel. It would have been nice to tell Florida recruits that they will get enough money to go home 2 or 3 times a year. If Lyons was responsible for WVU being last, then he made a big mistake and hopefully he corrects this disparity as soon as possible.

You would have thought since WVU recruits so many kids from out of state that they would of included a sizable amount for travel. It would have been nice to tell Florida recruits that they will get enough money to go home 2 or 3 times a year. If Lyons was responsible for WVU being last, then he made a big mistake and hopefully he corrects this disparity as soon as possible.
The Athletic Department had ZERO responsibility in developing the number for cost of attendance. It is based on info from the financial aid and costs at the college and the local area.

TEXAS TECH, MISS. STATE, OLE MISS, KSTATE , OKLAHOMA, ARKANSAS AND OKLAHOMA STATE ARE HEAD SCRATCHERS. Why is cost of attendance so high in THESE schools? Where is Stanford, UCLA, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Vanderbilt etc.??? I agree - this looks screwy.

Last edited:
The Athletic Department had ZERO responsibility in developing the number for cost of attendance. It is based on info from the financial aid and costs at the college and the local area.

That is was I thought except I see where TCU allotted $1200 for travel expenses and you would think that a majority of their players and student body come from Texas. Their travel expenses are 60% of WVU's total. Something is not adding up here. I kind of agree with Bill Snyder: “The cost of Burger King is no different in Boston than it is in Kansas.” or Morgantown or Fort Worth, TX.

With so many Big 12 schools in the top 15 "cost of attendance" payout, it doesn't seem coincidental and it appears as though their athletic departments had a big part in establishing the amount to pay their student athletes. What is so expensive about living in Lubbock and attending Texas Tech as compared to the other schools in the conference?

$5,100 vs. $1,971 - something is not right here.

iu

That is was I thought except I see where TCU allotted $1200 for travel expenses and you would think that a majority of their players and student body come from Texas. Their travel expenses are 60% of WVU's total. Something is not adding up here. I kind of agree with Bill Snyder: “The cost of Burger King is no different in Boston than it is in Kansas.” or Morgantown or Fort Worth, TX.

With so many Big 12 schools in the top 15 "cost of attendance" payout, it doesn't seem coincidental and it appears as though their athletic departments had a big part in establishing the amount to pay their student athletes. What is so expensive about living in Lubbock and attending Texas Tech as compared to the other schools in the conference?

$5,100 vs. $1,971 - something is not right here.

iu
Is there a different number for out of state students? I seem to remember that there was about a 600 dollar higher number for the out of state players.

The athletic departments may have had 'zero responsibility in developing the number' but you can bet your ass that (in many cases ) representatives from that department pointed those that did have responsibility in the direction they wanted.

-------------

The Big 5 (and NCAA) turned this into a uneven/unfair recruiting tool. Does a high school kid really think $5000 at one school is the same as a $2000 at another? Ummm.no. He just thinks one pays more.

All other things being equal....which school does he choose almost EACH and EVERY time??

Is there a different number for out of state students? I seem to remember that there was about a 600 dollar higher number for the out of state players.

The payouts announced by by WVU on June 2nd were 2700 for out of state, 2400 for in state. The numbers in the OP above were estimates made way back in the spring, most of those numbers are not the official numbers.

Reactions: 43rd Parallel
The article is from yesterday, but the numbers are from April. Here is link with the June numbers

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/article/20150602/GZ02/150609778

While it’s considerably more than some of the most recently published amounts — and not far below the national median — it’s still near the bottom in relation to the best available numbers throughout the rest of the Big 12.

WVU athletes will be given either $2,700 or $2,400 annually to cover the full cost of attendance. The former number is for out-of-state students and the latter for in-state students.

Last edited:
Wvu is at a major disadvantage in recruiting to begin with so the university leaders decide to throw a lowball # to future recruits. Genius

Wvu is at a major disadvantage in recruiting to begin with so the university leaders decide to throw a lowball # to future recruits. Genius
No decisions on this issues - it was taken from actual data - and the government provides the formula. Those other places are more expensive to live. We are in the middle of the pack as far as the 65 Power Five go.

No decisions on this issues - it was taken from actual data - and the government provides the formula. Those other places are more expensive to live. We are in the middle of the pack as far as the 65 Power Five go.

Whatever.... ...imagine a kid believing that crap.

He won't...and if money matters to him...he shouldn't.

It is considerably cheaper to live in WV. Even in Morgantown.

Yea.. ..and tell me how/when a recruit is going to believe that crap.

A smart one ( that cares about money) won't....it's complete BS. You can PRETEND the numbers make sense.... ...but you could NEVER prove it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT