ADVERTISEMENT

Steven Godfrey: Holgorsen sees no problem going it alone

43rd Parallel

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
AN EXCERPT:

But the disposition of fifth-year WVU head coach Dana Holgorsen drips with the Appalachian obstinance of the Wild and Wonderful State. To hell with whatever the governing body says; we'll survive on our own, and we like it this way.

"No. No. Makes no difference, whatsoever," Holgorsen responded at Big 12 Media Days when asked if an expansion would benefit his program.

LINK

I kinda like being out here on an island. WE are nicely located that we can offer Big XII football opportunities to east coast, mid-west, and even some Florida recruits. Bringing in Cinci. or UCF would only serve to dilute that. We are just now reopening the pipeline back into Ohio, why would we want to turn around and share it with other schools from Ohio. Same goes to the schools from Florida. If the Big XII expands I hope it's with two more great and storied programs whose games we can sell to recruits.

How ironic that Holgorsen and I have the same philosophy about how the increased road distance should continue to magnify the importance of home games for our program.

What's DH care ....?

He'll continue to struggle on game day and get fired..... ....or... ...have success and get hired (somewhere else)

I agree that it's better at recruiting time to be the only school east of the Mississippi. Those Texans and Sooners rarely come that far East for their football talent. Florida is ours, too, when it comes to Big 12 schools. I like it that way. Not good for WVU fans to travel to road games unless they have a lot of frequent flier miles, though.

ADVERTISEMENT