ADVERTISEMENT

POLL Star Spangled Banner in style

Dig it?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
They played this this morning on the radio show I listen to while getting ready for work. I don't really see the point of doing it that way. It's a different song with the same lyrics, isn't it? I'm not offended but rather I'm bemused.

If you do riffs playing off what the song actually is then fine, but the melody of the part they played on the radio this morning sounded literally nothing like the NA. If he was humming instead of singing the words and someone asked you what the tune was you'd say, I have no idea.

Reactions: Boomboom521
They played this this morning on the radio show I listen to while getting ready for work. I don't really see the point of doing it that way. It's a different song with the same lyrics, isn't it? I'm not offended but rather I'm bemused.

If you do riffs playing off what the song actually is then fine, but the melody of the part they played on the radio this morning sounded literally nothing like the NA. If he was humming instead of singing the words and someone asked you what the tune was you'd say, I have no idea.
I get that point. I’m a lyric guy though, and I enjoy seeing different style takes on a common subject. But I also always loved Hendrix and his lyric-less take, so....like I said....I get what you’re saying.

But I liked this version.

I don’t dig the Hawaiian sound.
210x.gif

But do you like the California Sound?

210x.gif

But do you like the California Sound?

Brian Wilson wrote some amazing music, the California Sound and otherwise. Even Good Vibrations had a bunch of good parts that didn't make the final cut but that you can hear on Youtube. He's going to go down as one of the best, if not the best, American composers of the last half of the 20th century and it's incredible to think of what he could have produced had his mental illness not kicked on.

He didn't skate by on good looks or "coolness" or superficial stuff like so many popular musicians. He just made fantastic music, told the musicians exactly what to play, told his bandmates exactly what parts to sing, produced it all, etc. If you don't know much about Brian Wilson's life and music do some googling. Interesting stuff.

Reactions: Boomboom521
Brian Wilson wrote some amazing music, the California Sound and otherwise. Even Good Vibrations had a bunch of good parts that didn't make the final cut but that you can hear on Youtube. He's going to go down as one of the best, if not the best, American composers of the last half of the 20th century and it's incredible to think of what he could have produced had his mental illness not kicked on.

He didn't skate by on good looks or "coolness" or superficial stuff like so many popular musicians. He just made fantastic music, told the musicians exactly what to play, told his bandmates exactly what parts to sing, produced it all, etc. If you don't know much about Brian Wilson's life and music do some googling. Interesting stuff.
Agree. Underrated as hell.

The movie about him and them with John Cusack was really good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT