ADVERTISEMENT

So what if the B12 and ACC both disintegrate?

doneagain

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2004
My parent's basement
It's July, everyone's "love to hate" topic is swirling about, conference expansion, but no one seems to think two conferences could end up failing.

I am sitting here waiting on fireworks to start, so just for the gosh darn heck of it, I offer up the idea that 2 conferences, the B12 & ACC could end up failing.

There are a myriad of reasons why the conferences might fail, but when you boil it down to it, money is the only real reason.

So instead of creating back stories, I will just state where I think schools might end up in a probably unlikely scenario where both conferences die off.

SEC: Oklahoma, NC State, VT, Kansas State, Pitt, WVU

(Note: 20 teams... The SEC would like all new states to expand its footprint for the SEC Network, and if Florida State can't get into the SEC because of Florida, Oklahoma State won't get in with Oklahoma.)

PAC-12: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU

(Note: 20 teams... I believe Texas would want several regional teams of close proximity to join along with them, and the way the P12 TV package is set up, the Longhorn Network would/could act as one of the P12 regional networks, only it would be Longhorn specific.)

BIG 10: Virginia, Boston College, Syracuse, UNC, Louisville, Clemson, GT, FSU

(Note: 22 teams... My guess is the B10 is less concerned with how many teams it has overall, and will eventually forego the AAU criteria since Nebraska doesn't have it. Like the SEC, it wants to sell its network to new high population areas, so it needs to expand its footprint into new states.)

Notre Dame, Duke and Wake Forest were left out. Notre Dame will be fine and has NBC.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that the B10 would take Duke and Wake too, but they do not add to the footprint after UNC is selected. However the UNC-Duke basketball matchup is a money maker and might be worth it to basketball-friendly B10 brass.

A more realistic scenario than the one above is that a handful of schools that bring better money to the B10, P12, & SEC get cherry picked and the leftovers end up merging in some makeshift throw together conference that might include BYU and a few AAC schools.

You have 21 teams in the P12. Either Baylor or TCU would get left out.

Pure lunacy. But fun to talk about.

The realistic case would be just the demise of the B12. Creating 4 nice geographic logical conferences.

ACC - WVU and ND.
SEC - Oklahoma and Okla State.
Big 10 - Kansas and Iowa State
P10 - KSU, Texas, TTech and either Baylor or TCU.

The four most geographically realistic conferences.

You have 21 teams in the P12. Either Baylor or TCU would get left out.

Pure lunacy. But fun to talk about.

The realistic case would be just the demise of the B12. Creating 4 nice geographic logical conferences.

ACC - WVU and ND.
SEC - Oklahoma and Okla State.
Big 10 - Kansas and Iowa State
P10 - KSU, Texas, TTech and either Baylor or TCU.

The four most geographically realistic conferences.

There's one reason why it will never happen, Woody: Too logical. It's heresy to line up conferences with geography in mine. It's un-American! Hell, let's put Rutgers and Southern Cal in the same conference, if the money is right. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I'm thinking the best way to go would be for the ACC to be cannibalized so that there would be four 16-team conferences. The conference title games would be the foundation of the 8-team national playoffs. The Conferences would be named East, North, West, South. I don't know why they don't make me NCAA realignment czar and I'd have this amazing realignment done in 10 minutes by drawing north-south and east-west lines that had the same number of P5 schools in each quadrant. Brilliant! Fans could travel to all the road games. TV would go ga-ga with their ATMs to pay for it. I don't know why no one else is as brilliant as me to think about this strategy. :sunglasses::smiley::grimace:

There's one reason why it will never happen, Woody: Too logical. It's heresy to line up conferences with geography in mine. It's un-American! Hell, let's put Rutgers and Southern Cal in the same conference, if the money is right. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I'm thinking the best way to go would be for the ACC to be cannibalized so that there would be four 16-team conferences. The conference title games would be the foundation of the 8-team national playoffs. The Conferences would be named East, North, West, South. I don't know why they don't make me NCAA realignment czar and I'd have this amazing realignment done in 10 minutes by drawing north-south and east-west lines that had the same number of P5 schools in each quadrant. Brilliant! Fans could travel to all the road games. TV would go ga-ga with their ATMs to pay for it. I don't know why no one else is as brilliant as me to think about this strategy. :sunglasses::smiley::grimace:

You'd have us back to playing Northeastern schools which, frankly, I'm glad to be rid of. Which footprint would you put us in otherwise. We are closest to the Northeast but don't fit there other than geographically. You're theory is flawed.

You'd have us back to playing Northeastern schools which, frankly, I'm glad to be rid of. Which footprint would you put us in otherwise. We are closest to the Northeast but don't fit there other than geographically. You're theory is flawed.
So you don't want to be in a conference with Ohio State, Penn State, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland? Remember, I'm drawing the lines. So WVU will be with the big boys. Look at your map of colleges.

It's July, everyone's "love to hate" topic is swirling about, conference expansion, but no one seems to think two conferences could end up failing.

I am sitting here waiting on fireworks to start, so just for the gosh darn heck of it, I offer up the idea that 2 conferences, the B12 & ACC could end up failing.

There are a myriad of reasons why the conferences might fail, but when you boil it down to it, money is the only real reason.

So instead of creating back stories, I will just state where I think schools might end up in a probably unlikely scenario where both conferences die off.

(Note: 20 teams... The SEC would like all new states to expand its footprint for the SEC Network, and if Florida State can't get into the SEC because of Florida, Oklahoma State won't get in with Oklahoma.)

(Note: 20 teams... I believe Texas would want several regional teams of close proximity to join along with them, and the way the P12 TV package is set up, the Longhorn Network would/could act as one of the P12 regional networks, only it would be Longhorn specific.)

(Note: 22 teams... My guess is the B10 is less concerned with how many teams it has overall, and will eventually forego the AAU criteria since Nebraska doesn't have it. Like the SEC, it wants to sell its network to new high population areas, so it needs to expand its footprint into new states.)

Notre Dame, Duke and Wake Forest were left out. Notre Dame will be fine and has NBC.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that the B10 would take Duke and Wake too, but they do not add to the footprint after UNC is selected. However the UNC-Duke basketball matchup is a money maker and might be worth it to basketball-friendly B10 brass.

A more realistic scenario than the one above is that a handful of schools that bring better money to the B10, P12, & SEC get cherry picked and the leftovers end up merging in some makeshift throw together conference that might include BYU and a few AAC schools.

Interesting, but unless you are talking about other P3 going to 20 teams, there are way too many quality teams for BOTH conferences will completely go away. While it could happen, I don't see a big need for to go beyond 16

We end up in the SEC or a conference that is mostly ACC schools with a few others mixed in. I get worrying about it but it's not like we're going to be left out.

I expect both to fall at some point and then we'll be part of a conference that made up of teams from both.

I see WV rushing to get back into the Big East. I further see Virginia Tech, Pitt and Penn State in the same Big East. Ole Happy Day.......

David Boren pops off for a couple of minutes and the chickens are screaming, "The sky is falling!"

Take it for what it was, a soon to be retired AD speculating about what direction the conference should take. Boren will be 83 when the TV contacts expire in 2025. How many 83 year old AD's are heavy hitters in College Football? Hell, how many 83 year old AD's are there, period? Do you really think he's going to have any input in the expansion process when it comes?

Remember how well his push for Louisville succeeded? (And that's when he had some sway.) He's trying to create a little bit of a legacy for himself on his way out the door.

David Boren pops off for a couple of minutes and the chickens are screaming, "The sky is falling!"

Take it for what it was, a soon to be retired AD speculating about what direction the conference should take. Boren will be 83 when the TV contacts expire in 2025. How many 83 year old AD's are heavy hitters in College Football? Hell, how many 83 year old AD's are there, period? Do you really think he's going to have any input in the expansion process when it comes?

Remember how well his push for Louisville succeeded? (And that's when he had some sway.) He's trying to create a little bit of a legacy for himself on his way out the door.

Boren isn't AD, he is the President and is definitely one of the most influential people in our conference.

His push for Louisville was enough for the conference to nearly withdraw our membership offer and DID delay our announcement and cause a subsequent brawl for the 10th spot.

Boren probably won't be around when the contract ends, but his board will be - and no doubt is he merely echoing their thoughts. Boren's successor will prove much of Oklahoma's motivations. If it's a pro-SEC or B1G replacement, that's not good for the B12.

Also remember Boren is a former US Senator and Governor of Oklahoma - his influence within the state should not be underestimated, his age doesn't matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT