ADVERTISEMENT

Should (or should not) Washington remain Red Skins?

12375CAT

All-Conference
Feb 15, 2012
1eddc11e-1c62-4e75-b831-a7ac3e919bd7_zpsc22350bd.jpg

Why not..... ...next people will object to my softball team being named The Reading Big Nig:$&5's.

I mean...it's just a name.

The term "Redskin" is so offensive to your average native american that the nickname of a high school team on the Navaho reservation is the "Redskins".

I was listening to Joe Theisman on Friday and he spoke on this subject when asked that direct question. He explained that the culture of the team and the attitudes within it was that the name "Redskins" was, in fact, paying homage to all of the Native American tribes and they were honoring them. He went on to say that he has, over the years, put the issue to actual Native Americans and there wasn't any issue with them towards the name. The controversy comes from the liberal, left PC crowd that can't leave tradition and acceptance alone. If just 2% have an issue with something this group stirs the pot until they get what they want.

They ought to eliminate the Washington part of their name and keep the Redskins! Washington offends more people than the name Redskins ever could!

ever heard the song "Hail to the Redskins!"?

Its just soooo offensive.

I think WVU should get rid of the Mountaineer as our representation too. I mean a man who wears a coonskin hat a brown leather outfit is just soooo offensive to Native WVians.

ever heard the song "Hail to the Redskins!"?

Its just soooo offensive.

I think WVU should get rid of the Mountaineer as our representation too. I mean a man who wears a coonskin hat a brown leather outfit is just soooo offensive to Native WVians.

Hmmmm...

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!
Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

I guess since I am not hair-triggered to be pissed off this just doesn't register on my meter to be offended.

Decent article that pointed out a very big flaw..... ....there is no recent and/or accurate data on the thoughts of the majority of American Indians.

If a large percentage of them feel it's an insulting or offensive term (name)....then it is... ...and really there's nothing somebody who's not from Indian heritage can say/argue to change that fact. If they're not offended....they 're not...great.
------------

It's fun reading what third party posters feel should be insulting or not....but only one group of people can actually answer the question.

As soon as Notre Dame loses the name "Fighting Irish," and the NBA team in Boston stops calling itself the Celtics (actually pronounced KEL-TIKS), so as not to offend people of Irish descent...

As soon as the NFL team in Minnesota stops calling itself the Vikings so as not to offend people of Norse descent...

As soon as USC stops calling itself the Trojans, and Michigan State stops calling themselves the Spartans so as not to offend people of Greek descent...

Lots of ethnic groups have teams that use caricatures of their heritage.

As soon as Notre Dame loses the name "Fighting Irish," and the NBA team in Boston stops calling itself the Celtics (actually pronounced KEL-TIKS), so as not to offend people of Irish descent...

As soon as the NFL team in Minnesota stops calling itself the Vikings so as not to offend people of Norse descent...

As soon as USC stops calling itself the Trojans, and Michigan State stops calling themselves the Spartans so as not to offend people of Greek descent...

Well....you make a semi-valid point. Maybe instead of the Redskins they call themselves n%##}r's ??

...or is it possible that some names to describe 'a people' are a source of pride while others are insulting ??

I am of native descent and am very proud of my heritage. My grandfather was half native and half Scots-Irish and his favorite team was the Redskins. My favorite team is the Redskins and see the name as an honor. I wish the liberal democrats in DC would pay more attention to the blight of natives on reservations and quit with the PC crap.

Reactions: TIREPUNK
I've never met a WVian who didn't claim to be part Native American, and in 99% of cases it's hogwash.

Freshman year almost every in-state kid in my dorm said they were part Cherokee, full-blown gingers.

Last edited:

I don't have a strong opinion on this issue but I've read arguments like yours many times and they always leave me shaking my head. The terms mentioned in your posts are not derogatory. They are just the names of people and groups - factual ones. (RE: Italian v. Dago)

Redskins is a derogatory term for Native Americans. It's not a tribe. It's just a mean word white people used to call Native Americans while we were busy murdering and kicking them off their land and spreading diseases.

It's not like Apache, Cherokee, Seminole, - or even just the generic, "Indian". It's a mean word with a bad history.

Reactions: Woody in Helvetia
Id
I've never me a WVian who didn't claim to be part Native American, and in 99% of cases it's hogwash.

Freshman year almost every in-state kid in my dorm said they were part Cherokee, full-blown gingers.

You might need a little history lesson on WV. Most of us are Scots-Irish and Native American because they were the only ones who could live in the harsh terrain. I have 3 great grandmothers who were full blood natives and all three married Scots-Irish.

That is a good one. She even admits she is only 1/64th. This is one of the liberal PC lawmakers I am talking about.

That ship has sailed. Capitalism will render it obsolete, when you lose the trademark protection you are toast.

I've never met a WVian who didn't claim to be part Native American, and in 99% of cases it's hogwash.

This is funny. I'm a ginger, and from WV and am actually part Native American. Very small part.

I was looking through family pictures when I was young and there was a picture of a white man and indian in full indian dress. Turns out that woman is my great great grandmother ( I think). Anyway, I am a descendant of the woman in the picture.

My grandfather did a geneology study a while back and the woman in the picture is the daughter of a Cherokee chief. However, when you read about this chief he apparently had dozens of "wifes" and well over 100 children. If that part is true, it wouldn't be hard for nearly everybody in the state to be some kind of descendant 4 generations later.

As for the Redskins name ... it doesn't move my meter at all.

I'm deeply offended that West Virginia University calls it's teams "The Mountaineers." While I grew up in West Virginia in no way have I lived an existence that resembles the lifestyle of the early settlers of the region of the country that became West Virginia. For anyone to refer to college athletes, or recent West Virginia residents or natives, as Mountaineers is deeply insensitive to the hearty folk of European descent who originally settled WV.

As far as I am concerned ... anyone who grew up with electricity has no right to call themselves a Mountaineer and this flippant use of the term to name sports teams must stop now.

I've had this on my chest for years. But our nation continues to take steps forward in the area of civil liberties and the time to speak up is NOW! It's time to stop denigrating real Mountaineers.

Further ... Since I have finally spoken up about the above issue I suppose this is also the best time to announce the formation of another movement. Beginning today I am launching the "Save the Air" campaign. First I'll need a research assistant who can tell me how much air will be saved if everyone in the world held their breath for 30 seconds every day. We could be on the verge of a cosmic evolutionary step forward if we are able to more fairly distribute air to our increasing world population.

SAVE THE AIR!
Hold Your Breath For 30 Seconds Each Day
Reduce Your Carbon Footprint By Holding Your Breath

Reactions: TIREPUNK
I think a good way to approach questions like this is to imagine what the nickname will look like in 10 or 20 or 30 years and make the decision based on that.

In the case of the Redskins, if the name is not changed now will people look back 20 years from now saying "Can you believe they wanted to change the Redskins name back in 2015? Or instead will people say "I can't believe they're still using the name 'Redskins' in the year 2035."

I think it's pretty clearly the latter in the case of the Redskins. That word isn't going to become less offensive to people over time, it's only going to become more. Thus it's inevitable it will change eventually. And if it will change eventually then you might as well get it done with.

The Washington Wizards changed their name 18 or so years ago. Does anyone ever even think about the fact that they used to be the Bullets? No. It's a hubbub when the change happens and then people quickly get accustomed to the new name and stop thinking about the old one.

They ought to just change it now, take a little heat for a little bit from the people that get pissed off, and then quickly everyone will move on and they'll never have to deal with it again. If they don't change it now they're going to have to deal with it again and again and again until they do change it.

Yes they should keep the name. Political correctness is ruining this country. Let people decide for themselves where they stand. Quit forcing your left wing idiocy on everyone. If the name truly offends people then the finances of the REDSKINS will suffer. Then you will see it changed.
This administration is pushing everyone's buttons as it pertains to race. They are telling people of color that whites are evil and whites that we ought to be ashamed to be white. When the overwhelming majority of people of any color just want to be left the hell alone to decide for themselves who they are friends or enemies with!

Yes they should keep the name. Political correctness is ruining this country. Let people decide for themselves where they stand. Quit forcing your left wing idiocy on everyone. If the name truly offends people then the finances of the REDSKINS will suffer. Then you will see it changed.
This administration is pushing everyone's buttons as it pertains to race. They are telling people of color that whites are evil and whites that we ought to be ashamed to be white. When the overwhelming majority of people of any color just want to be left the hell alone to decide for themselves who they are friends or enemies with!

Finances is why they ought to change, namely they'll be hurt more and more financially over time because more and more of the public are going to be against it. Whoever the current administration is doesn't matter. It was an issue long before the current administration came into being and it will continue to be an issue after this administration is gone.

Hmmm I think you are confused in your own argument. If its been an issue for so long why haven't the finances shown that?
Just like everything else in this country it's the tail wagging the dog. The small percentage whines and whines telling the overwhelming majority that they are wrong and simple minded and everyone has to agree with them. Then one of the TV networks picks up the ball and runs with it until that minority has shamed the majority into agreeing. People have lost the ability to think for themselves. They think that because a movie star has an opinion it is somehow more informed than their own. Half of the people in Hollywood are junkies or worse. What gives them the right to tell the average American citizen how they should think or feel?
And politicians are even worse. Not only do they think they are smarter than everyone, they pass laws that basically demand you agree with them. If you don't you're racist, a bigot, or just another dumb hillbilly redneck.

Finances is why they ought to change, namely they'll be hurt more and more financially over time because more and more of the public are going to be against it. Whoever the current administration is doesn't matter. It was an issue long before the current administration came into being and it will continue to be an issue after this administration is gone.

IF what you say is correct then the name will change, so far that is not the case. The Redskins continue to be one of the Most Profitable franchises in all of sports. Let the people decide. Hail To The Redskins....Hail Victory!

Hmmm I think you are confused in your own argument. If its been an issue for so long why haven't the finances shown that?
Just like everything else in this country it's the tail wagging the dog. The small percentage whines and whines telling the overwhelming majority that they are wrong and simple minded and everyone has to agree with them. Then one of the TV networks picks up the ball and runs with it until that minority has shamed the majority into agreeing. People have lost the ability to think for themselves. They think that because a movie star has an opinion it is somehow more informed than their own. Half of the people in Hollywood are junkies or worse. What gives them the right to tell the average American citizen how they should think or feel?
And politicians are even worse. Not only do they think they are smarter than everyone, they pass laws that basically demand you agree with them. If you don't you're racist, a bigot, or just another dumb hillbilly redneck.

I don't know where you got the chip on your shoulder or why you're so obsessed with politicians and movie stars but if you don't think the name "Redskins" doesn't look worse and worse as time passes then you're simply out of touch. There is a world out there beyond your circle of personal friends and believe it or not some of them think differently. Here is an article from just last year about how the Redskins not changing their name is costing them money. There are others if you google.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11419303/washington-redskins-losing-money-keeping-name

You have to make a distinction between a temporary PC trend on one hand and long term societal changes on the other. Over time the number of people that think it's fine for a football team to be named "Redskins" is going to get smaller and smaller and smaller.

I don't know where you got the chip on your shoulder or why you're so obsessed with politicians and movie stars but if you don't think the name "Redskins" doesn't look worse and worse as time passes then you're simply out of touch. There is a world out there beyond your circle of personal friends and believe it or not some of them think differently. Here is an article from just last year about how the Redskins not changing their name is costing them money. There are others if you google.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11419303/washington-redskins-losing-money-keeping-name

You have to make a distinction between a temporary PC trend on one hand and long term societal changes on the other. Over time the number of people that think it's fine for a football team to be named "Redskins" is going to get smaller and smaller and smaller.
Because this has all started with politicians and movie stars finding a cause that otherwise wouldn't be an issue. If native American tribes use the name for their own sports team how offensive can it be? But I suppose they named them before the yuppie elitists told them they were offended .

Because this has all started with politicians and movie stars finding a cause that otherwise wouldn't be an issue.

Check your facts.

Those officially censuring and/or demanding the name be changed include 23 Native American tribes and more than 50 organizations that represent various groups of Native Americans.

I understand that people can differ on their opinions, but being wrong about facts in this day and age is inexcusable.

Check your facts.

Those officially censuring and/or demanding the name be changed include 23 Native American tribes and more than 50 organizations that represent various groups of Native Americans.

I understand that people can differ on their opinions, but being wrong about facts in this day and age is inexcusable.
Considering the rampant alcohol and drug abuse that is present
Check your facts.

I understand that people can differ on their opinions, but being wrong about facts in this day and age is inexcusable.[/QUOTE
Has anyone polled the entire Native American population? Until that's done then it's the opinion of the ones who love the attention complaining brings them. Now if someone had actually taken the time to poll all Native Americans and that was their sentiment I'd say change the name. But we only get the opinion of a small number of Native Americans at this point. I would think the goverment helping with the rampant alcohol and drug abuse and super high unemployment rate of Native American reservations would be a bigger priority. Those aren't stereotypes either its fact. Those numbers are readily available as well.

Considering the rampant alcohol and drug abuse that is present

Have no idea what you're trying to say, but this movement overall started in 1940, long before there was even a concept of yuppie elitists.

I will say again ... every fact you could want is at your fingertips ... no excuse in not having them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT