ADVERTISEMENT

MEMORY-LANE September 21, 2014

coalcountry52

Heisman Winner
Oct 26, 2004
The Revolution
Yes, I'm back. No, I'm not over what happened Saturday, so I'm going to look ahead.

September 21, 2014 was the last time we held a lead over Oklahoma in a football game, and it was in the 2nd quarter of that game. Rushel Shell had just punched it in for us to go up 24-17 with a little over a minute to go in the first half. Emotions were high and it felt like momentum was on our side. The crowd was into it and the stadium was rocking. What happened next?

OU ran the ensuing kickoff back 100 yards to tie the game again. The stadium went quiet. Our sideline lost its mojo. We didn't get back down the field to score to retake the momentum. OU opened the second half and marched down the field to take a lead they'd never relinquish.

That is 14 quarters of football we have trailed Oklahoma, and we have to go back even longer to have a final result against them that was less than 2 scores (2012's Tavon game that we still lost 50-49). 14 quarters of football where we have been mistake-prone or flat-out beaten down. I am not enthusiastic about this game at all, but if we would just be able to take a lead of any kind, maybe this trend of getting trounced by Boomer Sooner starts to reverse itself.

And, as is custom, everything sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News