ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Aber: Huggins not embracing new rule

43rd Parallel

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
AN EXCERPT:

"There's something to be said for people who do a great job of guarding and playing in the half court."

LINK

Its Hugg's job to have an opinion on this but I doubt he really cares that much. The reality is the new rule is going to create an extra 4-5 possessions per game per team, nothing earth shattering. The new rule is not going to turn college hoops into an iso one on one game like the NBA with quick shots in the half court like Huggs fears. Now if we take the next step and shorten to 24 seconds, he will have a point.

If you look at the way we played last year, teams were fighting the 10 second violation 90% of the time.
I think this works to our advantage assuming Bob keeps the defensive pressure at the same level.
I reduces the shot and give the opposition only 20-21 seconds to run offense.

Often Huggs' teams are challenged on the offensive end of the court and a shortened shot clock does not help that kind of team.

Often Huggs' teams are challenged on the offensive end of the court and a shortened shot clock does not help that kind of team.

It depends on what kind of team we have, last year we were a "more possessions, more shots, more points" kind of team to offset bad shooting. If we are still that kind of team with Browne and Staten out of the picture we will be fine and the shot clock if anything will benefit us slightly. If we're a poor shooting team playing traditional man to man D like in the past, I agree we will be harmed although it's not going to make us go from 20 wins to 16.

ADVERTISEMENT