ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor Mill: Big 12 has potentially set its sights on several ACC schools

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
excerpt:

And, after bringing in Maryland and Rutgers for the 2014 season, all
signs are pointing to the Big Ten reaching out to several more in an
attempt to become a 16-team 'superconference'.

Should that happen, commissioner Bob Bowlsby and the rest of the Big
12 is not going to be caught standing around looking like the proverbial
deer in the headlights. In fact, the conference, after holding discussions regarding expansion
and several other topics, has set its sights on a few big-time schools
should programs begin shuffling from conference to conference once
again.
"…conference identified teams that would be left, including reputable football schools Florida State, Clemson and Louisville," Jeremy Fowler of CBSSports.com.

Interestingly, Fowler fails to mention another football program that,
while affiliated with the ACC, is not a full member. In fact, the team
is a college football independant, but would make any conference a lot
of money as a member.

Both the Big 12 and the Big Ten have had their sights set on one of
the most recognizable and profitable football teams and athletic
departments in the nation: The Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

http://gamedayr.com/gamedayr/big-12-acc-conference-expansion-rumors/[/URL]

I sound like a broken record, but I think the B10 is going to grow to 20 teams.

I believe they will add UVA, UNC, GT, Duke, Missouri and Notre Dame. I think Notre Dame will be more open to the Big 10 after the ACC collapses, plus by adding all those teams in new regions, the B10 will be more of a national conference instead of a regional one, which would appeal to Notre Dame and their desire to be a National university. To me, they already are, so I don't know what the issue there is.

Now there is a caveat or two that could send Notre Dame to the B12, although I believe it is unlikely.

The B12 could strike a deal with Notre Dame just like they have lined up with the ACC.

Or, they could come in as a full member but allow them to keep their NBC contract, ala the Longhorn Network, only set differently. I would guess if the conference grows to 16 members, then a 10 game conference schedule would become the standard. That would mean 5 home games and 5 away. Essentially, the 5 away conference games for Notre Dame would belong to the B12. Notre Dame would most likely want 7 home games each year. I think they would agree to give up the rights to one of their home games each season and surrender it to the B12.

So as a compromise, the B12 gets Notre Dame as a full member with 6 football games each year, and the rights to all their other sports, barring third tier. ND/NBC get 6 football games each year. The addition of Notre Dame to the conference's slate of games still adds value to the TV package, and the rest of the conference is going to get a home and away with Notre Dame every 4-6 years.

If the B12 ends up with Notre Dame, then I think the B10 stops at 18 members.

The SEC ends up taking VT & NC State ( and do not lose Missouri).

The B12 takes FSU, Miami, Clemson, Louisville, Notre Dame and pick a 16th member from a pool consisting of: Pitt, BC, Syracuse, UConn, Wake Forest, Cincy, and Marshall.

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Just kidding about Marshall.

Anyway, you get the idea. Marshall can go save the Big East.

The B1G 10 could grow to 20 teams.

The question if they wanted to would be which schools would they want?

They seem very set on having contiguous states and AAU status which leaves:

UVA
Pitt
UNC
GT
Duke

and then of course Notre Dame which they've always wanted to be a member.

Originally posted by Buckaineer:
The B1G 10 could grow to 20 teams.

The question if they wanted to would be which schools would they want?

They seem very set on having contiguous states and AAU status which leaves:

UVA
Pitt
UNC
GT
Duke

and then of course Notre Dame which they've always wanted to be a member.
I think the most likely would be FSU, Clemson, Louisville, and Georgia Tech. No one in the Big12 (except some WVU fans) wants an "urban east coast" school in this conference i.e. UCONN, Pitt...and previously Rutgers and Maryland when it was being talked about before they committed to the B1G. However, we do need to connect the dots a bit and give you guys some company out there...but I don't think they'll be any closer than Louisville.

One time zone doesn't hurt much Now 2 or 3 would

I think the Big 12 would be very pro-active and they'd be investing in the future if they grabbed 6 teams in our time zone and built a league based on 4 pods. Rivalries and money could be made this way....Big 12 would guarantee itself as one of the 4 super powers.....no worries then...

Re: One time zone doesn't hurt much Now 2 or 3 would

From what our athletic department has said, time zone is a concern. I am just going by what I have read.

Here is the driving distance between Morgantown and some schools that might at least have a shot with the BIG 12 and/or vice versa:

FSU.................857 miles
Clemson..........506 miles
Louisville.........402 miles
Pittsburgh........75 miles
Notre Dame.....442 miles
Georgia Tech...610 miles
NC State.........425 miles
Cincinnati........308 miles
Virginia Tech...253 miles
Miami..............1090 miles
UConn............502 miles

Just shows there really aren't very many "nearby" spots that would give WVU close competition

Re: What party? Suck it Pitt!

Good luck with that trickle down sports theory....pitt can't win even by osmosis.

Buck:

We had many discussions last summer on the CSNbbs Realignment Board.

My position was that ND would have playoff access as an independent and would renew the NBC deal for big bucks and would never join the Big Ten.

Your position was that the "Power 4" conferences would tell ND to go sit in the corner with the MAC commissioner.

You also thought that ND would be lucky to keep the NBC deal, you thought it would not be renewed or would come with no increase. I have seen unofficial reports that put the new contract at $25 million per year.

You also were positive that the ACC would be poached and ND would have to join the Big Ten.

I think that you seriously underestimated the power of ND and the determination of the ACC to stay together.

This post was edited on 4/29 11:27 AM by TerryD44

This post was edited on 4/29 11:31 AM by TerryD44

doneagain: Thank you for your [or a loved ones} service to Our Country
. Why would any ACC team want to leave ever to go to the BIG 12????? We [ACC] have geographical rivals that are decades long, we are not controlled by Texas, we are getting stronger every year in almost every[if not every] major sport. With the exception of Rutgers and Penn State we control the East Coast. Maryland has become a non factor [maybe the BIG 10 will change that, maybe not]. When we have our Conference Network, Notre Dame will play all major sports except for 7 FB games a year in the Conference, and very frankly I think if asked honestly, most knowledgeable athletic/academic administrators would agree. Look at the latest USNWR Rankings of American Universities. I don't know how Lville got in, except money talks.ut no one doubts their Athletic Teams excellence, and as long as Tom Jurich stays there, they will continue to have very successful major sports programs
Good Luck The Rest Of The Season

Originally posted by Buckaineer:
Here is the driving distance between Morgantown and some schools that might at least have a shot with the BIG 12 and/or vice versa:

FSU.................857 miles
Clemson..........506 miles
Louisville.........402 miles
Pittsburgh........75 miles
Notre Dame.....442 miles
Georgia Tech...610 miles
NC State.........425 miles
Virginia Tech...253 miles
Miami..............1090 miles

Just shows there really aren't very many "nearby" spots that would give WVU close competition
Out of those, only Miami is farther than the closest B-12 school (ISU). FSU is about the same distance, and I'd much rather see WVU vs FSU than ISU...

Is this the thread that never dies? This started in February and you are commenting on it now?

Expansion is dead and so should this thread be...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

BIG10 has a better chance with getting Kansas than anyone in the ACC. Kansas was actually interested in hearing what the BIG10 had to offer. LOL BUCk at it again

That's it! I'm officially burnt out on conference realignment talk.
flush.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/4 3:42 AM by SpartanEER

I don't think anyone else is leaving the ACC. If that was the case, they would have left before the GOR was given last spring.

So an updated list:

Notre Dame.....442 miles (only have to give their basketball rights to the ACC)

That's it for an Eastern partner, unless you want to consider ECU

Re: Guess You Told Us.

Heard b12 is taking a HARD look at Tulane (AAU member), Memphis, and Cincy. Is this just another rumor or has some legs

Re: Insightful Comment from the Board Fool

A serious discussion about expansion or not and you post that?

Re: Guess You Told Us.

If the huge gap which exists between West Virginia and
all the other Big 12 schools matters, then Co-AAC champions Memphis and
Cincinnati are BOTH logical additions. Memphis just completed the 102nd
season of the program's history and does have successes to be proud of,
including wins over the likes of tradition-rich Alabama, Auburn,
Arkansas, Florida, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Miami,
Miss State, Mizzou, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Southern Cal, Tennessee,
and Virginia Tech. Not only did Memphis defeat Cincinnati (who
supposedly has a "better brand") this year, but owns a 19-13 all-time
record against them. If geography, tradition, Top 10 college football TV
market, new fertile recruiting territory in SEC land, cultural
compatibility, basketball brand, strong corporate support and fun travel
destination matter, Memphis is also a viable Big 12 candidate.

Note:
while Cincinnati is a bigger TV market, Memphis is a bigger COLLEGE
FOOTBALL TV market. In fact, a recent study showed Memphis to be the
FIFTH biggest. Certainly, many of those eyeball belong to SEC fans, but
over time, the Big 12 would gain a strong share not only of the market,
but in Mid-South recruiting where many of the SEC-West players come
from. I would think that the Big 12 would enjoy striking back at the SEC
for their recent invasions.

Notre Dame and Louisville would be the perfect 2. Add in Florida State and VT or Clemson and the Big 12 is the best conference hands down.

ADVERTISEMENT