ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Rod to Virginia Tech?

WiiWii

All-Conference
Jun 8, 2011
I am hearing whispers that Rich Rod is being tee'd up to replace Beamer in Blacksburg.

I shudder to think of what it would be like to see tricky Dicky run onto Fedex Field wearing those colors (not even sure how to describe them) in 2017 and again in Mountaineer Field in 2021.

I can't hate him any more, so I hope the rumors are true...

I doubt he'd leave Arizona for Blacksburg, VA.

He's got a good thing going in Tucson, he'd be stupid to leave that to fix the dumpster fire Beamer is going to leave behind. Maybe he is arrogant enough to try, but you'd think he'd learn his lesson from Michigan.

He owns Tucson right now. They love him there.
Before the Pitt. game in 2007 he could have ran for governor of WV with me as his pr man and won it. Didn't stop him from looking elsewhere and submarining WVU on his way out the door. So if you think ol RR is worried about his public perception or the damage he will leave behind think again. If he thinks it's a step up in pay and prestige he will most likely take the job.

Before the Pitt. game in 2007 he could have ran for governor of WV with me as his pr man and won it. Didn't stop him from looking elsewhere and submarining WVU on his way out the door. So if you think ol RR is worried about his public perception or the damage he will leave behind think again. If he thinks it's a step up in pay and prestige he will most likely take the job.
He would take the question in a heartbeat. It brings him back to the area and the explosion in talent in Virginia makes recruiting easier for him....at least easier than what it would be at some schools in the east.

These days going from Arizona to VT is a lateral move at best. It certainly is a step down in Conference quality. If he is offered the VT job he'll probably use it to leverage a big raise from Arizona.

UCLA dwarfs VT.

Los Angeles or Blacksburg, Virginia? lol
Rose Bowl or Lane Stadium?
UCLA women or VT girls?
Beautiful, sunny weather year round or Appalachia weather?
The choice seems easy for a recruit.

Reactions: mtneerinraleigh
He is not the young hot shot 40 something coach he was when he was here. He spent the last 5 years digging himself out of a hole and I doubt he wants to go right into another one when Beamer inevitably leaves a huge one behind. VT is an okay job, but they have been a horrid program not counting the Beamer years, and although Beamer is a big name coach, he does not carry the clout of a Bear Bryant, or a Paterno. It will not be easy to remake that program, and the fanbase spoiled by the good Beamer years will not be patient. That is a job for an energetic young 30-40 something coach at their first big time job, not one for a 50 something year old coach with a reputation for bouncing around. I cant possibly see there being mutual interest.

As much as RR will always be a lightening rod for at least 2 pages I might as well jump in with my 2 cents.

I think RR would go to V Tech in a heart beat. He would have a friend that was AD, he would get more money ( his and most peoples main motivation ), and he would love to have Virginia and the DMV as his recruiting grounds while also dipping into Florida, WPIAL, and NJ.

. . . . . .

According to WVU insiders, Babcock and Rodriguez have a “close relationship.” The dream scenario for many West Virginia fans was for Babcock to return as athletics director, and in turn he would bring back Rodriguez as head coach.

As far as the Rodriguez to Virginia Tech rumors, if you are a reader of our TSL Pass Subscriber board, you know that we’ve been referring to him as a candidate for Tech whenever Frank Beamer decides to retire. We’ve heard that there is mutual interest on both sides, and that would make sense considering the fact that Babcock and Rodriguez seem to work so well together. It’s doubtful that there has been an in-person meeting between the two, but if they are as close as many WVU insiders contend, it would certainly not be surprising if they had discussed the situation in passing.

. . . . . .

http://virginiatech.sportswar.com/free-content/2015/04/20/tsl-poll-virginia-tech-and-rich-rodriguez/

Have you been to Blacksburg? Maybe the pay would be an increase, but Tucson is stunning, warm and in a great conference. Blackburg is depressing and in a great basketball conference.

Reactions: mtneerinraleigh
I do NOT discount Rich coming to VT, particularly with Babcock the AD. I liked the job that Rich did for WVU, until he bad-mouthed to try to justify going to Michigan (more money, justification enough). And I liked my personal dealings with Babcock when he was at WVU. Both are talented (as a coach and as an administrator). It would be an ideal package for VT.

And maybe could lead to VT replacing Maryland as the home/home every-season team, which I would prefer over Maryland anyway. No disrespect for Maryland, but I think beating a perennial ACC title contender would help more than playing a middling Big 10 team.

I thank Rich and Babcock for the jobs they did while at WVU. I wish them well as long as they don't play my alma mater, in which case my cheering choice is easy.

I do NOT discount Rich coming to VT, particularly with Babcock the AD. I liked the job that Rich did for WVU, until he bad-mouthed to try to justify going to Michigan (more money, justification enough). And I liked my personal dealings with Babcock when he was at WVU. Both are talented (as a coach and as an administrator). It would be an ideal package for VT.

And maybe could lead to VT replacing Maryland as the home/home every-season team, which I would prefer over Maryland anyway. No disrespect for Maryland, but I think beating a perennial ACC title contender would help more than playing a middling Big 10 team.

I thank Rich and Babcock for the jobs they did while at WVU. I wish them well as long as they don't play my alma mater, in which case my cheering choice is easy.

You do realize that RR at V Tech would hurt our recruiting efforts. Wishing them well is, by proxy, hurting us recruiting wise.

Reactions: Vernon
I am hearing whispers that Rich Rod is being tee'd up to replace Beamer in Blacksburg.

I shudder to think of what it would be like to see tricky Dicky run onto Fedex Field wearing those colors (not even sure how to describe them) in 2017 and again in Mountaineer Field in 2021.

Excellent. He can hire Marcus Vick or whoever it was that got caught with that 15 year old. VT will be happy if they stick to collegiate cheerleaders.

After the way he left here, why in hell would any successful or progressing administration want to hire him to break the team up. Badcock would know what he is getting. RR is going to try to control the athletic operation. Have to contend with ND in conference and meet their demands first. Are FSU and Clemson still in expansion talks? How could you ever get into championship talk from that schedule?

. . . . . .

According to WVU insiders, Babcock and Rodriguez have a “close relationship.” The dream scenario for many West Virginia fans was for Babcock to return as athletics director, and in turn he would bring back Rodriguez as head coach.

As far as the Rodriguez to Virginia Tech rumors, if you are a reader of our TSL Pass Subscriber board, you know that we’ve been referring to him as a candidate for Tech whenever Frank Beamer decides to retire. We’ve heard that there is mutual interest on both sides, and that would make sense considering the fact that Babcock and Rodriguez seem to work so well together. It’s doubtful that there has been an in-person meeting between the two, but if they are as close as many WVU insiders contend, it would certainly not be surprising if they had discussed the situation in passing.

. . . . . .

http://virginiatech.sportswar.com/free-content/2015/04/20/tsl-poll-virginia-tech-and-rich-rodriguez/

There is nothing you cited other than speculation. I would be shocked if he emerged on a short list for VT. I think he is at Arizona until he either plays in a Rose Bowl or is fired for not getting to one. His next job will be either a blue blood/NFL or a mid major depending on what happens. The only way I think he takes a job in the same tier as Arizona is if dream circumstances emerged that would allow him to come back to WVU, like Louisville with Petrino.

You do realize that RR at V Tech would hurt our recruiting efforts. Wishing them well is, by proxy, hurting us recruiting wise.
If WVU can't out-recruit Rich, that's on us. I wish everyone who ever played or coached at WVU well. That's my nature. Why should I wish anyone bad things? Be classy.

If WVU can't out-recruit Rich, that's on us. I wish everyone who ever played or coached at WVU well. That's my nature. Why should I wish anyone bad things? Be classy.
i-fe2d867ece4d6cbcd177570bcc53c8e3-stayclassy.jpg

Reactions: Cuyahoga Falls Eers
There is nothing you cited other than speculation. I would be shocked if he emerged on a short list for VT. I think he is at Arizona until he either plays in a Rose Bowl or is fired for not getting to one. His next job will be either a blue blood/NFL or a mid major depending on what happens. The only way I think he takes a job in the same tier as Arizona is if dream circumstances emerged that would allow him to come back to WVU, like Louisville with Petrino.

It is all speculation until Beamer retires. The VT fans seem to support the idea as indicated in the poll. RR's close relationship with the current VT athletic director certainly increases the possibility that he would be interested in that job especially if it paid him more money. RR had no loyalty to WVU so I doubt he has any to Arizona, and the only reason that Petrino is back at Louisville is because of the Arkansas scandal that got him fired. RR certainly isn't a NFL head coach and I really don't see that happening.

Also, I think that RR was involved in some shady business deals along with Frank Beamer in Blacksburg. So there are obviously more connections to that area. See Link:

http://www.smokingmusket.com/2009/9/1/1010654/rich-rodriguez-sued-again-for

Last edited:
It is all speculation until Beamer retires. The VT fans seem to support the idea as indicated in the poll. RR's close relationship with the current VT athletic director certainly increases the possibility that he would be interested in that job especially if it paid him more money. RR had no loyalty to WVU so I doubt he has any to Arizona, and the only reason that Petrino is back at Louisville is because of the Arkansas scandal that got him fired. RR certainly isn't a NFL head coach and I really don't see that happening.

Also, I think that RR was involved in some shady business deals along with Frank Beamer in Blacksburg. So there are obviously more connections to that area. See Link

http://www.smokinmusket.com/2009/9/1/1010654/rich-rodriguez-sued-again-for

Link isn't complete. Doesn't work.

I don't think VT has the ability to outbid Arizona even if I am wrong and they want him bad enough to make an offer, but I guess we will see how it plays out once Beamer's time comes. RR if he is successful enough could make the NFL. Chip Kelly is an NFL coach right now, and despite his oddball offseason, has been pretty successful through 2 seasons (20-12 with a Division Title), if Chip keeps proving his system works, RR is certainly someone that has a similar mindset that an NFL team may look at if Kelly continues to be successful. RR's offense has evolved a bit since his days here as well, they throw a lot more than he did with Pat White and Denard Robinson.

I think this will happen before the decade ends. Bud will stay as his DC. They'll have a nice 10-15 year run.

roddy's star may be tarnished from here on out at arizona.....usc is back to normal as a major force, if not this year (likely) then next year.....ucla is at a point under mora where it can beat arizona two out of three, three out of four on average, same for arizona state (better tradition, program over time).....utah is on the rise.....point is, each and every year roddy will struggle to finish third in the pac-12 south, considering games with stanford, oregon, a rising washington and oregon state every other year, etc. ..... how long is colorado going to stay down with its l-a recruiting channels?.....roddy will be, most years, an 8-5 type coach at arizona, counting his usual soft ooc schedule.....roddy probably knows this......

this leads to two thoughts:

1-beamer better leave soon, or roddy may play himself out of contention for the vt with a string of also-ran finishes in the pac-12 south.....i'm serious about this.....arizona has some players, but year after year looking forward, he will not have the talent and firepower to be a contender in the pac-12 south.....too tough......

2-the situation as it is, roddy likely would take the vocational tech job if offered.....if they offer, and that's a big if.....the question is, could he win consistently there? 8-5 won't cut it at vo-tech.....he would be in a much easier conference by and large, but he would not be able to compete with a resurgent flo state year in and year out.....clemson probably would win 60 percent of the time or more.....same for notre dame.....georgia tech, a 50-50 split.....same for uva and miami.....maybe this time around, though, he can beat pitt in a big game.....last time he played pitt, roddy was the only guy in history who got outcoached by dave wannstadt......

if roddy goes to vo-tech, the benefit to me would be it would quell the longing from some wvu fans who want him back at wvu, even after the reaming he gave us the first time.....the guy is a narcissist who lied to wvu and about wvu on his way out.....vo-tech can have him.....i question the self-esteem of wvu fans who wants roddy back......imo, he is overrated at present.....arizona always has had potential to compete in the pac-12 and win some games, while losing more than they win....that will be roddy's legacy there, too.....i also doubt he would be able to match beamer's accomplishments long-term at vo-tech......

Last edited:
Hell, Ole RichRod will do the same thing he's done over and over and over....... call his AD and attempt to parley (a.k.a. extortion) any headline or rumor into either more money or a contract extension. [smoke]

Last edited:
Tuscon is a great city and Arizona is a great school. But this desicion would be based on football and VT is the better football program by far. I lived in Az many years and I promise UofA is a basketball school first VT is a football school first. This would be an easy decision to make for Rich Rod if VT came calling. He would be the perfect fit and I would hate to see him there instead of at WVU.

I am not sure I see VT that much of a step up. I mean, they have a horrible record vs top 10 opponents under Beamer and outside of their win vs OSU last year in what was otherwise, another down season for them, what is there biggest wins over the past 10 years? Their program was built basically on numbers of wins, not quality wins.

With that said, I can see RR taking this or another job on this side of the country. His ego is too big to be playing games at 10 p.m. when most of the country is not watching. Besides, lets face it, he has a much better chance of winning the ACC on a more consistent basis than he does the PAC 12.

Rod retires in/at AZ. Have any of you actually been to Tuscon?

I'm sure that Rod has learned a few lessons over the last ten years and now knows that 1) A bird in the hand (AZ) is worth two in the bush (all other opportunities), and 2) I'm willing to bet that his family loves AZ.

I am not sure how a relationship between RR and Bud Foster would work either. I mean, Foster would have to accept the fact he would never be the head coach at his beloved VT and accepting that fact under his friend Beamer is one thing, but under RR...I am not so sure. And what would RR do with Casteel?

Rod retires in/at AZ. Have any of you actually been to Tuscon?

I'm sure that Rod has learned a few lessons over the last ten years and now knows that 1) A bird in the hand (AZ) is worth two in the bush (all other opportunities), and 2) I'm willing to bet that his family loves AZ.
He'd leave in a heartbeat. Some people make the mistake of thinking what is great to them is great for others. I've been there three times and don't dislike it but have zero desire to go back.

John in California

I agree with a lot of your post, but especially the last paragraph. Specifically the 'question-ing the self esteem of WVU fans who want him back.'

The people who want him to return in my opinion are really sad. Its like the self esteem of a battered wife. The guy was a bad guy.

I don't want him, his lies & dishonesty,, his bad hair plugs, his "THIS PLACE AIN'T SO F#$%ING SPECIAL" narcissistic attitude, his 80s metal band groupy Magda looking wife (or her leopard skin & leather outfits), his "Water Boy" agent, his overweight OC who made claims of racism about WVU to Chuck Finder of the PPG, his son's 4 different commitment to be QB (Taj Boyd thinks that's too many), or his 1D offense. Too much bad stuff that just makes it NOT EVEN!

Let him stay in AZ, he looks so much better 2000 miles away.

If he goes to VT, GREAT! Cause it guarantees he'll NEVER be @ my Alma Mata (for 3 Degrees) and I'll continue to support it and go to games. It also would mean AD Lyons can be a pretty good AD.

Richie would go there just to piss us off. I wonder how long Arizona will put up with him losing to Graham every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT