ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt AD Scott Barnes: We Want To Play Penn State & WVU…With 1 Catch

wbgvwbgv

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2001
PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – Pitt Athletic Director Scott Barnes joined Chris Mack, Josh Miller, and Jim Colony in-studio on “The Fan Morning Show” Tuesday to talk about his plans for the program, and much of the discussion centered around his school’s football program.

This is unsurprising, given Barnes’ priority of making Pitt’s football program the pride of the athletic department.

“Our best opportunity for growth is in football,” Barnes said. “I’ve used the quote ‘rising tide lifts all boats’… and if we can get football to that level, and when we do, then all of our programs succeed.”

To Barnes, this isn’t about slighting other sports so much as creating a trickle down effect.

“I think we’ve got one of the best coaches in America in men’s basketball, we’ve got great coaches across a lot of our programs,” Barnes said. “But, to give them the resources they need, we’ve got to focus on our best growth opportunity, and that’s football right now.”

As for a subject that has been on the minds of Pitt football fans lately, Barnes says that he’s hoping to breathe new life into Pitt’s rivalries with Penn State and West Virginia-with one catch.

When you’re growing as a football program you want this balance between an opportunity to create momentum through winning some football games, and then good opponents that are attractive,” Barnes said. “I’d love to see, in a perfect world, both [Penn State and West Virginia] on our schedule long-term, but not both in the same year.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015...-we-want-to-play-penn-state-wvu-with-1-catch/

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – Pitt Athletic Director Scott Barnes joined Chris Mack, Josh Miller, and Jim Colony in-studio on “The Fan Morning Show” Tuesday to talk about his plans for the program, and much of the discussion centered around his school’s football program.

This is unsurprising, given Barnes’ priority of making Pitt’s football program the pride of the athletic department.

“Our best opportunity for growth is in football,” Barnes said. “I’ve used the quote ‘rising tide lifts all boats’… and if we can get football to that level, and when we do, then all of our programs succeed.”

To Barnes, this isn’t about slighting other sports so much as creating a trickle down effect.

“I think we’ve got one of the best coaches in America in men’s basketball, we’ve got great coaches across a lot of our programs,” Barnes said. “But, to give them the resources they need, we’ve got to focus on our best growth opportunity, and that’s football right now.”

As for a subject that has been on the minds of Pitt football fans lately, Barnes says that he’s hoping to breathe new life into Pitt’s rivalries with Penn State and West Virginia-with one catch.

When you’re growing as a football program you want this balance between an opportunity to create momentum through winning some football games, and then good opponents that are attractive,” Barnes said. “I’d love to see, in a perfect world, both [Penn State and West Virginia] on our schedule long-term, but not both in the same year.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015...-we-want-to-play-penn-state-wvu-with-1-catch/

Barnes said. “I’d love to see, in a perfect world, both [Penn State and West Virginia] on our schedule long-term, but not both in the same year.”

Translation:

We can't afford two out of conference losses every year. LOL!

Barnes said. “I’d love to see, in a perfect world, both [Penn State and West Virginia] on our schedule long-term, but not both in the same year.”

Translation:

Winner, winner....

Translation:

I think it is hilarious that he said this on the radio and your translation is right on the money. Honestly, that is cool with me. I would not mind playing Pitt once in a while, but I just can't see committing a slot every year for that program...we have grown beyond that and need to play a national schedule against real programs.

Honestly, the same goes for Marshall. We can play them once every 4 years if they want...that way every Marshall students gets a loss to lament over and cry about the rest of their lives. Heck, we could even agree to a field rotation as long as it only involves Mountaineer Field...

Reactions: SacreBleu
It should be just like Clemson/SC and UGA/GT........... Last game of the regular season.
Honestly, this is simply not realistic. Keaton, I know you are an alumni of both, but if we are honest, this is not the first game on Pitt's priority list (that would be Penn State) and it only is meaningful to the old timers on the WVU side and means very little from a recruiting point of view.

We are much better playing a florida team every year than playing Pitt every year.

Like I said, playing them every few years would be fine, but they simply do not merit a yearly slot on our schedule. Frankly, we probably don't merit a yearly spot on their's either.

PS. Playing Tech every year would make more sense from a recruiting point of view.

Honestly, this is simply not realistic. Keaton, I know you are an alumni of both, but if we are honest, this is not the first game on Pitt's priority list (that would be Penn State) and it only is meaningful to the old timers on the WVU side and means very little from a recruiting point of view.

We are much better playing a florida team every year than playing Pitt every year.

Like I said, playing them every few years would be fine, but they simply do not merit a yearly slot on our schedule. Frankly, we probably don't merit a yearly spot on their's either.

PS. Playing Tech every year would make more sense from a recruiting point of view.

nope.

Yes, but they wont play you every year. Neither will Maryland when the Big Ten goes to 9. If I was WVU, I'd rotate the OOC between MD, VT, PSU (as you have scheduled) then add teams like Rutgers, Pitt (I think we'll agree to H&H every once in awhile), and other ACC schools.

Yes, but they wont play you every year. Neither will Maryland when the Big Ten goes to 9. If I was WVU, I'd rotate the OOC between MD, VT, PSU (as you have scheduled) then add teams like Rutgers, Pitt (I think we'll agree to H&H every once in awhile), and other ACC schools.
I actually agree with this. Like I said, not interested in an annual game, just too much commitment to one middling ACC team, but here or there playing Pitt would be fine, it's close and it's an easy win.

How can I say this in a classy dignified way?

TELL HIM TO EAT PITT & DIE!!!

I want to play MD, VT, PSU, and the schools named after places that have 2 SENATORS & A GOVERNOR representing them, not a Mayor.

I actually agree with this. Like I said, not interested in an annual game, just too much commitment to one middling ACC team, but here or there playing Pitt would be fine, it's close and it's an easy win.

Good call on the status of Pitt in their first couple of years in the ACC. Now where exactly do you see WVU in the Big XII? Because I see WVU as just a couple of breaks away from cracking the top 5 in the conference the last couple of years. I mean take away most of WVUs loses and u guys definitely rank right up to the top of that conference!

Good call on the status of Pitt in their first couple of years in the ACC. Now where exactly do you see WVU in the Big XII? Because I see WVU as just a couple of breaks away from cracking the top 5 in the conference the last couple of years. I mean take away most of WVUs loses and u guys definitely rank right up to the top of that conference!

What are "loses"? Is it a wind blown soil deposit like loess? Or is it the wind blown noise that comes out of Pittsburgh this time of year that fades away after their traditional loss to a MAC team come Labor Day weekend? And why do you use "u" for the word "you"? A traumatic brain injury such as a Pitt education, perhaps?

Please clarify your terms for us so we can discuss the gist of your subject. I thank you and await your response.

Relax Mike! When u turn 30 everything will finally make sense to u! BTW I was having a cool conversation with WiiWii until u rudely interrupted! I did graduate from Pitt but your shot at my education didn't negatively impact me until I recalled that I actually started a Masters program at CMU, because I thought I wanted to run a hospital one day, and I probably was the dumbest guy in my classes! I got 3 As and a B my first year then changed my mind went to Wall Street. But u made a good point because I was dumbererer than anyone else in my Master's program at CMU. Point well taken Mike!

Last edited:
Relax Mike! When u turn 30 everything will finally make sense to u! BTW I was having a cool conversation with WiiWii until u rudely interrupted! I did graduate from Pitt but your shot at my education didn't negatively impact me until I recalled that I actually started a Masters program at CMU, because I thought I wanted to run a hospital one day, and I probably was the dumbest guy in my classes! I got 3 As and a B my first year then changed my mind went to Wall Street. But u made a good point because I was dumbererer than anyone else in my Master's program at CMU. Point well taken Mike!
That's funny! I went to CMU as well but, being a graduate of WVU, I was one of the smartest in my MBA program there.

I graduated, too.

Interesting...

Last edited:
Agree completely. Make it the last game of the year at home when we have 4 Big 12 home games and away in the year we have 5 Big 12 home games.

Get real. Big 12 lines up the schedule for final 9 games of the season. Pitt plays WVU in one of first 3 games, if at all. And only 2017 and 2020 make sense, from WVU's point. Pitt doesn't want WVU and Penn State in the same season. WVU doesn't want Pitt and Penn State in the same season, or Pitt and Virginia Tech. The Big 12 lineup is tough enough. WVU doesn't need help. Pitt can't draw flies to Ketchup Stadium, to it's advantage WVU in the negotations. Pitt plays when WVU will play the Panthers, or keep the tarps on most of the sections. Those seats are only used for Steelers games.

Last edited:
That's funny! I went to CMU as well but, being a graduate of WVU, I was one of the smartest in my MBA program there.

I graduated, too.

Interesting...

Congrats pal! Something to be proud of for sure! FYI not finishing up at CMU 20 years ago was my choice! Finance has been very good to me! Hopefully you're degree has served u well! In regards to your post I just think Pitt and WVU are better off together! Neither University really needs each other but I'm old school and respect the history both have enjoyed together. WVU has always been my nonPitt go to! To this day I go to one or two games a year. So I say without question Thanksgiving week was always the best week of the season. Those Pitt/WVU games were awesome.

Congrats pal! Something to be proud of for sure! FYI not finishing up at CMU 20 years ago was my choice! Finance has been very good to me! Hopefully you're degree has served u well! In regards to your post I just think Pitt and WVU are better off together! Neither University really needs each other but I'm old school and respect the history both have enjoyed together. WVU has always been my nonPitt go to! To this day I go to one or two games a year. So I say without question Thanksgiving week was always the best week of the season. Those Pitt/WVU games were awesome.

Could not agree more, Thanksgiving week WVU / Pitt was a great finale regardless of how the rest of the season transpired. It sure beats the hell out of finishing against Iowa St, in Ames or Morgantown in front of half empty stadiums.

1. I hate it when a Pitt fan is reasonable. It is much easier to hate you guys where you are a$$holes, so stop being so reasonable.
2. While the story about CMU is true, I was just trying to give you a little smack talk. I was not the smartest...just the second smartest... :)
3. As for Pitt playing WVU, honestly, I think a little break here is actually not a bad thing. I cannot tell you how many times I would go to a game and get into altercations. Some were my fault, but plenty where when I did nothing at all but proudly wear my WVU gear. Frankly, being from Pittsburgh, when a Pitt fan realizes that I am one of them, but love my Mountaineers, it can get ugly pretty quick. Then, after all of that crap, I visit the Panty-lair and hear those idiots whine about how mean WVU fans are...just ridiculous...I am not saying we are any better, but there is plenty give and take on both sides, let's just leave it at that.

I am sure we will play again and, when we do, it will be a good time. I expect a win and I really look forward to screwing up "Sweet Caroline". God that made the Pitt fans angry when we took over that cheer.

Good stuff! I'll tell ya who I hate! VT!!! My Brother in law graduated from that shithole and he's an obnoxious grad! I love him but tell him how great WVU and Virginia are! He hates it when I root WVU on! Funny stuff!

I wouldn't be worried about losing to either one of them. I'd love to see both of them on our schedule every year with only 1 AA or mid major on the schedule for home games only. Pitt and VTech every year would be nice too.

We continue to hear from both Pitt and our own athletic department that they want to play so it's time that we make it happen. It may be a lot of work to get the dates set but if the desire is there then surely we can make it work.

I find that playing Pitt and Penn State is important to most fans but not everyone. It doesn't mean a lot to me but if it helps our recruiting at all then it gets my vote.

I'd like to see it renewed in some form, but i don't want to beg them. Their attendence issues speak volumes...and there are almost as many WVU alums in the Pittsburgh region as Penn staters....Bone headed move...not to play it, but don't beg them....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT