ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele's projected AP Top 10

I am starting to really dislike TCU. Time to punch them in the face this year.

Besides, they ripped Trick's head off and got away with it...

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I get what you're saying but those coaches have had more time to build their resume. It's time for Dana to do the same.
IMO, DH has this season to enhance his resume. Next year('17) concludes his contract. He either has to be in double digits knocking on the door. This is a talented group that he has going forth. There have got to bee some results - or consequences.

I would think if he has a winning record this year Dana comes back next season and maybe even gets a short extension to help with recruiting....since next year sets up to be a better offensive team and they still should be decent on D. If he does get an extension I would hope it provides WVU a easier (less expensive) out than the last contract.

I would think if he has a winning record this year Dana comes back next season and maybe even gets a short extension to help with recruiting....since next year sets up to be a better offensive team and they still should be decent on D. If he does get an extension I would hope it provides WVU a easier (less expensive) out than the last contract.
You know what is even less expensive? Try NOT extending a guy who is already signed through the 2017 season and who hasn't delivered value on his current contract.

I'm thinking he has to win at least 7 and maybe 8 or he isn't going to get an extension. Less than 7 and he's out.

\
You know what is even less expensive? Try NOT extending a guy who is already signed through the 2017 season and who hasn't delivered value on his current contract.
My mistake...I thought he was only signed through the end of the 2016 season. I'm not saying he does or doesn't deserve to come back....my point was the AD will have to decide at the end of the year if he did enough to be brought back or let go....if he brings him back I wouldn't be shocked if it's with a short extension (1 or 2 years) to help him recruit. I would assume a lot of the kids who consider WVU are doing so because of relationships with the staff and style of play....it's hard to sell those relationships if the coach is on the Hot Seat with no years on his deal.

I'm thinking he has to win at least 7 and maybe 8 or he isn't going to get an extension. Less than 7 and he's out.

This might be a better WVU team but it might not translate into a good conference record. Our Big 12 schedule is brutal. Five road games this year vs. four at home. Also we play arguably the four best teams in the league, TCU, Baylor, OU and KSU all on the road. Lose all of them and we could be 5-4 at best. We need to hold serve at home and pull off an upset on the road. I'm thinking 7-5 again and 8-4 would be super given our schedule. OSU and Texas will be a challenge at MPS.

This might be a better WVU team but it might not translate into a good conference record. Our Big 12 schedule is brutal. Five road games this year vs. four at home. Also we play arguably the four best teams in the league, TCU, Baylor, OU and KSU all on the road. Lose all of them and we could be 5-4 at best. We need to hold serve at home and pull off an upset on the road. I'm thinking 7-5 again and 8-4 would be super given our schedule. OSU and Texas will be a challenge at MPS.

The first four league games are a Murderer's Row -- at Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, at Baylor, at TCU. If West Virginia has a winning record at the end of that stretch -- even if it's 4-3 -- then it has a very nice team.

Reactions: torontoeers
Makes me sick to see TCU on there and even Baylor. Why are they able to be in the top 10 and we're struggling to break .500 each year.

Makes me sick to see TCU on there and even Baylor. Why are they able to be in the top 10 and we're struggling to break .500 each year.

Well....they're both in one of the very top recruiting states while we're piping in kids from Florida... ...just to start.

If I wanted to reach a bit... ..I'd even mention Jesus.

The transition to the Big 12 from the the Big Least wasn't going to be an easy task for any coach. And considering last year's schedule and results, the program seems headed in the right direction. Every conference game is competitive unlike our old conference, and the fan base for the most part understands that the bar is now a lot higher. Another winning season and Holgorsen likely gets another extension. Recruiting has been solid and the program seems to be developing players on a regular basis capable of playing at the next level. The last thing needed at WVU is a merry-go-round of head coaches like they have had at Pitt.

Two Big 12 teams in the Top Five preseason poll and both games are on the road. The Oklahoma game is also away with Texas coming to Morgantown. Every year we can expect a brutal schedule in the Big 12.

New stadiums and the best facilities money can buy plus access to the most fertile recruiting area in the country along with being great schools and having great fans. And don't forget the big donors.

WVU beat TCU two years ago and Balyor last year even with their advantages. You gotta give WVU's coaching staff a lot of credit for those wins.

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
ADVERTISEMENT