ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens game 5

And there we have it...very impressed with the effort all round....disappointed but not angry. Fleury was exceptional , the callups on D played very well so the future is bright there. What a block by Martin in front of the net in the dying minutes. Looking forward to next year whatever that 'looks like'.....Damn.

And there we have it...very impressed with the effort all round....disappointed but not angry. Fleury was exceptional , the callups on D played very well so the future is bright there. What a block by Martin in front of the net in the dying minutes. Looking forward to next year whatever that 'looks like'.....Damn.
I had the same feeling I had in game 5. In spite of the effort, it just wasn't going to go the Pens' way. This was the antithesis of past years when the Pens were putting it in the net, but MAF could not stop anything. It was an exciting game for sure and they played with the effort they have been lacking of late. Nothing left for me in these playoffs but to root against Ovechkin and the Caps.

I had the same feeling I had in game 5. In spite of the effort, it just wasn't going to go the Pens' way. This was the antithesis of past years when the Pens were putting it in the net, but MAF could not stop anything. It was an exciting game for sure and they played with the effort they have been lacking of late. Nothing left for me in these playoffs but to root against Ovechkin and the Caps.
tumblr_mzrlaoPeJR1tqtnhjo4_500.gif

The Penguins have officially come full circle.....for the past 5 years, MAF let down his team. In 2015, the team let down MAF Still, too bad they were so shorthanded on defense; but hey, you can only play with the guys who are dressed. But at least Flower has justified his new contract; and most can therefore view goal as a firmly established position until Matt Murray gets his first chance in a year or so to actually win the #1 job in camp.

I thought last off-season was interesting; I officially have no idea how this one will go. We already know the team should, for once, have some cap space available. That said, if the team could re-sign Paul Martin at something comparable to the $5 million/season he earned over the last 5 years......and there's no such guarantee......I wonder if they'd do it. Of course, it's hard to imagine.....at 33 years of age.....that too many teams are going to rush to give him a sizable raise for the number of years his agent will likely ask (presumably another five). Maybe LA offers him 3 years $18-20 million if they're convinced Voynov is finished.. Of course, Orpik got at least $10 million more from the Craps than he was worth solely to get him away from playing against Ovechkin; so who knows what Martin can command.

Still, that leaves Ehrhoff's $4 million.....Downie's $1 million (who I think they'd like to keep on the 4th line, but who we've all learned is too risky even at only 12 minutes/game).....Greiss' $1 million (after his second half tail-off, I suspect they go back to Zatkoff as MAF's backup).....$2.5 million between Winnik and Lapierre (both of which will probably be flushed now, though I myself would still like to see them bring back Winnik at their number).....Adams' $700K (gonzo).....and possibly even Bennett's $900K.

I assume they'll try and re-sign Comeau, though someone like Florida or Edmonton could offer him 3 years $9 million; and I'm not sure the Pens want to pay him quite that much. I myself suspect they'll start at 2 years $4 million and ascertain if he wants to come back.. Something also tells me they might try and extend Sutter this off-season; for the long-term or for trade bait. Like everyone else, I don't know if all these Geno trade rumors have legs; but this is a horrible time to try and get the two solid-good roster players, the mid-high #1 pick, and whatever else they figure he's worth. But if they really wanted to trade him, the first calls I'd make would be to Dale Tallon and Steve Yzerman (especially if the Bolts go out to the Wings).

Then, there's GMJR.....his Staff.....and the HC. Who knows; if JR is moved, maybe Mario figures this is the time to finally roll the dice (??) with Pierre McGuire. Not saying I agree with that; but as a hockey guy, I'll simply say I myself have never disliked McGuire as much as everyone else. It also wouldn't shock me if Mario approached George McPhee this time around (whose overall reputation, IMO, is only slightly better than GMJR). And obviously, if JR goes, all bets are off with Johnston.

Well, morning papers are all reporting GMJR and HCMJ back for next season......and I must admit, I'm not generally opposed to that (if, for no other reason, that I'm not interested in seeing the franchise run over the coals for a second year in a row by the League's media cement heads). According to the reports, ownership never considered any changes of this type; which, of course, may be entirely true or entirely false (and could frankly still change).

If JR made some mistakes, fine...... but one season, IMO, is no basis to make any kind of decision for the next year or two given the problems it had a year ago (and endured this past season). Lord knows, Ray Shero made way more before he was forced to take the gas. OTOH, if one feels compelled to ask if JR is the kind of guy you want charting the course of the franchise for the next decade, I'll listen to that discussion

Tough draw getting Rangers first round. Next time finish higher than 8th. Still too many passes and not enough shots IMO. But great effort against a much better team.

Well, morning papers are all reporting GMJR and HCMJ back for next season......and I must admit, I'm not generally opposed to that (if, for no other reason, that I'm not interested in seeing the franchise run over the coals for a second year in a row by the League's media cement heads). According to the reports, ownership never considered any changes of this type; which, of course, may be entirely true or entirely false (and could frankly still change).

If JR made some mistakes, fine...... but one season, IMO, is no basis to make any kind of decision for the next year or two given the problems it had a year ago (and endured this past season). Lord knows, Ray Shero made way more before he was forced to take the gas. OTOH, if one feels compelled to ask if JR is the kind of guy you want charting the course of the franchise for the next decade, I'll listen to that discussion

I agree with essentially all you've said COOLMAN.....and can't really add much more to what you've indicated other than.....DAMNED Caps! :(

I freely admit I was having trouble figuring out who to pull for in the Islanders/Craps series.......and as difficult as this is/was to reconcile, I ended up pulling marginally for the Craps. I think it's because I've always liked Trotz; one of these days I'll remember this is the team of Ovechkin and (worse) Ted Leonsis. That'll bring me right back to reality.

Until then, I suspect I'll be rooting for them against the NYR as well.....guess I just can't come up with too many scenarios where I'll root for anything from NY (and the Rangers, in particular).

I freely admit I was having trouble figuring out who to pull for in the Islanders/Craps series.......and as difficult as this is/was to reconcile, I ended up pulling marginally for the Craps. I think it's because I've always liked Trotz; one of these days I'll remember this is the team of Ovechkin and (worse) Ted Leonsis. That'll bring me right back to reality.

Until then, I suspect I'll be rooting for them against the NYR as well.....guess I just can't come up with too many scenarios where I'll root for anything from NY (and the Rangers, in particular).
The only thing worse than seeing the Pens make an early exit would be to see Ovechkin hoist the cup!

ADVERTISEMENT