ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma Angling for SEC Expansion Invite?

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
Oklahoma Angling for SEC Expansion Invite?
Posted on June 30, 2015 by Chadd Scott -- http://www.sportsdaynow.com/oklahoma-angling-for-sec-expansion-invite/

Could University of Oklahoma President David Boren be angling for his school to receive a future invite to SEC expansion? Stay with me here.

Boren was outspoken a week ago about his belief in the Big 12’s need to expand. Boren’s opinion flies directly in the face of his conference commissioner Bob Bowlsby. The University of Texas, the only other player which matters in Big 12 politics, also prefers the league stay at 10 members for the foreseeable future.

Boren is not the only Big 12 power-broker who would like to see the conference expand, but he’s in for a grueling battle and ultimate defeat, in my opinion, if he chooses to pursue this.

Which may be exactly what he wants.

Huh?

Boren wants to lose his “Big 12 should expand to 12” fight because it gives him a public grievance to hold over the Big 12. It gives him a reason to quietly seek a different conference affiliation for his school should the time come.

I simply can’t believe that David Boren actually believes Cincinnati or UCF or Houston or USF or BYU adds enough value to his conference to stick his neck out to this degree. Oklahoma hasn’t spent billions building itself in to an athletic powerhouse only to then expend major political capital by championing the admission of obvious “lesser-thans” into its league.

It doesn’t make sense.

What does make sense is that when the Big 12’s grant of TV rights expires in 2025, the Sooners would be a highly desirable target for any conference looking to grow. Oklahoma represents beach-front property on the college athletics’ real estate market and if the Sooners were unhappy with membership in the Big 12 – as Boren is establishing by “losing” his Big 12 expansion fight – they’d be a natural for admission into the SEC.

It’s a “long play” for a 73-year-old.

I floated this admittedly wild scenario on Twitter and was surprised by how “un-wildly” it was received.

Dan Wolken, Mark Ennis and Allen Kenney are three college football commentators whose perspectives I value. I have followed each of them for years and find their opinions on conference realignment consistently thoughtful, measured, and well-informed. Their not poo-pooing my idea emboldens my belief in it.

I have long predicted that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would be the next two additions to the SEC if/when the league chooses to expand. With the brand value the SEC has created, only blue-bloods will be considered.

Oklahoma represents one of only a handful of schools nationally with a brand prestigious enough for the SEC to consider for membership. In my scenario, Oklahoma State tags along primarily in anticipation of political pressure inside of Oklahoma being too great for the Sooners to be allowed to leave OSU behind in what would be a further neutered Big 12.

Culturally, OU and OSU fit the football and athletics-crazed SEC. Their academic profiles fall within SEC standards although OSU would be in the bottom quarter. Both of their athletic departments have robust and broad-based support and success. They’re both large, public universities geographically contiguous to the SEC.

Need more evidence? After completing this blog, I was reminded of an ESPN story by my friend Tony Agolini which quotes David Boren as saying OU received an invitation in 2010 to join the SEC.

I don’t think another round of SEC expansion is inevitable, although history has shown us that it is. I think disruptive technological advances and major changes to NCAA governance, the sort of which we’ve seen the last five years, could alter the course of future conference expansion beyond what any of us are presently able to consider. I don’t even consider Oklahoma and Oklahoma State eventually becoming members of the SEC to be likely, but if I had to guess who the next two members of the league might be, that’s who I’m going with.

Allen Kenney blogs about Oklahoma athletics with great authority. I put my OU-to-SEC theory to the test with him in the following podcast. https://soundcloud.com/1010xl-92-5-fm-jax/could-oklahoma-join-the-sec

Interesting. I was thinking the same thing re: Oklahoma and Boren's statement over the past couple of days.

The end of the TV deal in 2025 slipped my mind, though. 10 years is a lot of time. Boren will be retired by then and Stoops close to it, if not the same. If Oklahoma's football tanks again as it did during their coaching carousel of the 90's, the Sooners won't be going anywhere.

Ahhhhh!!! It's officially Summer and there is little else to talk about so let's resurrect the league expansion theories.

This is nuts to me. Okay Boren is 73, and this guy thinks Oklahoma's President is planning his school's conference affiliation 10 years out? Wow.

I bet Boren is plannung his funeral more than that.

I think the guy is just trying to float out there that the Big XII should expand. Given the $$$$$$$ this conference is making, I can see some backdoor dialogue with schools.

My prediction is 1 school that left the Big XII will be coming back cause I think they already have some buyers remorse. Another prediction is the ACC which is making less revenue from TV and has much less people attending their games will be the conference that has the 1st & 2nd & etc schools leave for other conferences. You cant have the egos of ND & those on Tobacco Road and have anything long lasting. Last summer was just the beginning.

Well when the president of the one of the more powerful schools starts the discussion it may be worth paying attention to.

Well... how can we ignore it. It would be like me ignoring my new puppy at 5:00 AM when he asks to go out! If I ignore him he pees and shits all over the place!! Not a good thing. We pay attention!!

Maybe Boren is one of the rare individuals that can think and plan long term. The B12 will expand or die.

GOR can (and eventually will) be beat in civil courts.

That's all I currently feel compelled to add to this discussion.

If the Big 12 wants to exist in 10 year I think it has to expand. To Oklahoma adding two teams dies not devalue the conference. Everyother member is just another W in their book. Before the next set of television contract the Big 12 has to expand their footprint - increase the number of states that the conference covers. Memphis and Cincy may not make huge dents in the markets that they are in but they would increase their shares with teams Like Texas and Oklahoma coming to town.

If you want WVU to be a member of the ACC then just watch it happen if the B12 stays at 10 - then OU and OSU go to the SEC. Texas, TT, KSU and TCU to the P12. Kansas and ISU to the B1G. WV & ND to the ACC. And Baylor on the outside. This makes some very nice divisions for these 16 teams conferences. ACC would split at the VA/NC line - 8 in the north of that line and 8 south of it. The P16 would have the old P8 on one side, and everyone else on the other. E/W would still work in the B1G with Purdue coming to the east. And in the SEC Alabama and Auburn would come east while Mo and the two Okie schools would be in the west.

I would have serious reservations allowing West Virginia to apply for American Membership when the B12 collapses. The league doesn't need another middling program.

A few thoughts:

1. If one team were to return to the Big 12 it would be Nebraska, but I just don't see it...the $$$ are just too large in the B1G right now for that to happen.

2. I don't see Okie and OSU going together...that violates the No-New-two-schools-in-one-state rule and, before you say that they will bend that rule for Oklahoma, remember Florida, remember South Carolina, ... they are pretty solid on that rule and they are the SEC, they do what they want.

3. The Big 12 will change its membership between now and 2025...that is a virtual lock. Who and how? That is not a lock. We just need to be prepared when it happens, which is something that Luck was excellent at...I hope our current administration has the same vision.

4. 10 years is an eternity. This silly cable model will change twice over between now and then. I predict that most (not all) college football will be pay per view by then and the majority of it will be on online networks....which is why I really liked the idea of the Big12 being the first to experiment with an online network as another poster proposed recently.

ADVERTISEMENT