ADVERTISEMENT

NEW BOARDS - How do I... Posting and Replying

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
Welcome to the new WVSports.com message boards.

We’ve provided several How To threads so you can familiarize yourself with the new tools and features of the new message boards.

Let’s start with the basics!

How do I create a new post/thread on the boards?

Click Post New Thread that is in the top right hand corner of the page. On a mobile device, this button will sit in the center at the top of the page.

Insert a Thread Title

Create the body of the post - Text, Image, Video, etc. in the field below.

From there, click Create Thread at the bottom.

You can click Preview which sits next to Create Thread to see how this thread will look on the message boards before posting.

In addition, you can choose to make this thread you created a Watched Thread which will deliver notifications to you, if you choose in your preferences. It will also store this thread in your Watched Threads so you can go back and check on them later.

How do I create a new poll on the boards?

Follow the same instructions for creating a new thread, by inserting a Thread Title and a message for the body of the post. Before clicking Create Thread, scroll to the bottom of the Create Thread screen and you’ll see options to create a poll.

Fill out each field, including the poll Question, the Possible Responses, the Maximum Selectable Responses, and the Options. Like with creating a thread with no poll, you can click Preview to see how this poll will look on the message boards before posting.

What are the options to format or embed media into my new post or reply?

xorogQESh0CPnwL34prk2Q_Q9elZCmReCU00TeCtiGKpMURxAK6bKpCZYKFU8kcm4BWrk_8S6qYKMkDtKMFAyg6hTXLMXfDGodqA28gc7_yvlo-JxV0nI_W-aH5qzFjxhw

How do I reply to a specific user in a thread?

If you want to reply to a specific user within a thread and not the original poster, click
sTVNY335rZlLZL5sJLyWU6UFHc1d_wihAm8q6BU__ZGgAQs96gVGdRm03QsdFeahb2f2zwYWsc7G_oCZsLMjKfV6cxXRGldYq3W528CPSIVMfklmZAjVjL2JE_a8JvX20g
within the post you want to reply to.

How do I quote a specific post in a thread?

When you click
sTVNY335rZlLZL5sJLyWU6UFHc1d_wihAm8q6BU__ZGgAQs96gVGdRm03QsdFeahb2f2zwYWsc7G_oCZsLMjKfV6cxXRGldYq3W528CPSIVMfklmZAjVjL2JE_a8JvX20g
to a specific post in a thread, that post is automatically quoted.

You will see the quote code added when you click reply.

Simply post underneath that to have your message show up underneath the quoted post.

To quote multiple posts, click
in each of the posts. You wish to quote. Each time you click
before completing your reply, that post will be added as a quote through code in the order that you clicked

Vernon,

I use to be able to toggle my cursor over a topic thread and preview the message. I tried searching the site to find out how to do it under the new forum but cannot find it. Thoughts?

Flycasteer

When I hover my cursor over the topic thread, it says "go to first unread message" instead of giving me a preview of the message. I've waited more than a few seconds, but the message doesn't change. Do I have my settings set wrong or is it something else? Also, I had to go click on my board name to find your response. I thought I had set it up to receive those by email. I'll double check my spam folder; maybe it got caught there. If not, how do I make that happen? Thanks.

When I hover my cursor over the topic thread, it says "go to first unread message" instead of giving me a preview of the message. I've waited more than a few seconds, but the message doesn't change. Do I have my settings set wrong or is it something else? Also, I had to go click on my board name to find your response. I thought I had set it up to receive those by email. I'll double check my spam folder; maybe it got caught there. If not, how do I make that happen? Thanks.
What browser are you using? It should definitely be showing you the preview. Also the email option isn't working yet, we'll turn that on soon.

Did I inadvertently set my preferences or something to "go to first unread message" instead of "preview" because that is the message I receive when I hover my cursor over a topic instead of a preview of the message?

Did I inadvertently set my preferences or something to "go to first unread message" instead of "preview" because that is the message I receive when I hover my cursor over a topic instead of a preview of the message?
There isn't a setting that could be set for that so it has to be something in the settings on your side. I'm checking with tech support but since we can't duplicate the problems it's tough to fix it for you.

Vernon, mobile site doesn't seem to work very well, can't open posts to read them at all. Android, Samsung Galaxy S4, do I need an update or something?
What browser? We're very aware of one issue with Android and it's the browser. I would highly recommend Chrome or even Firefox but the stock browser and Dolphin will have a lot of trouble. We've seen a lot of people moving to Chrome this week and they love it both for this site and others. Here's what one user on the Blue Lot just posted, he was having the same problem and I suggested he move to Chrome.

After historically being loyal to Firefox, I am writing this message from chrome on my android. It is absolutely superior for this site. Thanks for posting this buddy!

What browser? We're very aware of one issue with Android and it's the browser. I would highly recommend Chrome or even Firefox but the stock browser and Dolphin will have a lot of trouble. We've seen a lot of people moving to Chrome this week and they love it both for this site and others. Here's what one user on the Blue Lot just posted, he was having the same problem and I suggested he move to Chrome.

After historically being loyal to Firefox, I am writing this message from chrome on my android. It is absolutely superior for this site. Thanks for posting this buddy!
Vernon, Thanks for the tip. I am using the standard browser provided with the phone, but I have used Chrome on other devices. Never had much of a problem with the std browser, but I will give Chrome a try. I'll let you know how that works.

Reactions: Vernon
WSEN0tm.jpg

Vernon, here is a pic of what is happening with my preview.
I would say it's almost definitely javascript is turned off in your browser settings. You can turn that on (and it's safe) in Settings, go down and click Advanced Settings, under Privacy Settings choose Allow all sites to run JavaScript. Then click Done. Reload the page and it should be working.

That was a good thought. However, I checked, and my Google Chrome settings are already set to allow all sites to run Javascript. Therefore, it must be something else. Although it was implied in my original message, to be clear, the preview worked with my Google Chrome prior to the forum change. I don't mean that as a criticism of the new forum, which I like, just offering it for your tech guys to consider as another piece of the puzzle.

That was a good thought. However, I checked, and my Google Chrome settings are already set to allow all sites to run Javascript. Therefore, it must be something else. Although it was implied in my original message, to be clear, the preview worked with my Google Chrome prior to the forum change. I don't mean that as a criticism of the new forum, which I like, just offering it for your tech guys to consider as another piece of the puzzle.
The problem is no one else is having the problem so it's not really anything we can fix. It has to be something in your settings. I realize it's always frustrating when things don't work as they should be on this side if no one else is experiencing the problem then it tells us it's on the user side.

Vernon,

I wanted to give you a heads up on the "preview" issue I raised earlier. Even though I have not made any changes to my computer or board preferences, my preview feature is now working on the new board. Must've been a board ghost. At any rate, I'm glad it is working and thanks for looking into it.

Flycasteer

Vernon,

I wanted to give you a heads up on the "preview" issue I raised earlier. Even though I have not made any changes to my computer or board preferences, my preview feature is now working on the new board. Must've been a board ghost. At any rate, I'm glad it is working and thanks for looking into it.

Flycasteer
Great to hear! If you have any other problems please let me know.

Just a question. Do Ignored people have any idea how many people are ignoring them?

ADVERTISEMENT