ADVERTISEMENT

Need Pepperoni Roll Recipe

Pospecteer

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2006
Doing a tailgate at PSU and want to do it WV style. Need to make some pepperoni rolls to go with my pulled pork and brats. Thanks.

Here is a good resource,( http://www.bobheffner.com/pepperoniroll/recipes.htm ). I will say it depends on what type you like, I prefer just pepperoni and bread ones. Since I was born and raised in Motown, I have tried them all over the years, Country Club Bakery, Colasessano's, Julia's and many others. My wife makes the best and they are very simple to make. She uses Rhodes bread and a good quality pepperoni (Hormel Rosa Grande and Sugardale sticks are good ones). She uses pepperoni chunks instead of slices or strips. She just embeds several chunks of pepperoni into the dough and bakes them. You can make them big or small based on what you like. The key is to not bake them several days ahead, I suggest the morning of or the day before and DO NOT LET them DRY out. We attended my nieces wedding several years ago in Florida and my brother wanted to add a little West Virginia flavor to her reception by having pepperoni rolls available for her Texas in laws and friends. Sadly, they were terrible simply because they were old and were dried out.

thank you. We are leaving Friday morning and the tailgate starts Sat. at 11:00 am. I don't trust the cleanliness of my son's place so Thursday night is the best I can do. I was always a Tomaro's fan myself (lived both in motown and Clarksburg for a couple of years). I will have to go with my pulled pork to carry the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT