ADVERTISEMENT

MSNBC planning to drop its left wing slant. Link. *

Well, I guess we'll see.....

I think there could be some logic in the "changes" discussed in the piece.....Lord knows, the network needs something to get out of the non-existence universe (at least after 9AM EDT) in which they're currently marooned.....but the proof will be in the execution. And they still have to sell these changes to the advertisers (whose feelings on Brian Williams probably aren't totally known).

No reason not to believe it won't continue to be Left-leaning, but shit-canning individuals like Ed Schultz.....to my way of thinking.....seems a decent (if not a downright necessary) start toward regaining whatever legitimacy the network wants/needs. The most compelling aspect in this entire proposition, to me, will be to see if Williams can ultimately be an asset.....hard to predict, when you consider friggin' Geraldo looks downright Tom Brokaw-like by comparison these days.

Last edited:

I think there could be some logic in the "changes" discussed in the piece.....Lord knows, the network needs something to get out of the non-existence universe (at least after 9AM EDT) in which they're currently marooned.....but the proof will be in the execution. And they still have to sell these changes to the advertisers (whose feelings on Brian Williams probably aren't totally known).

No reason not to believe it won't continue to be Left-leaning, but shit-canning individuals like Ed Schultz.....to my way of thinking.....seems a decent (if not a downright necessary) start toward regaining whatever legitimacy the network wants/needs. The most compelling aspect in this entire proposition, to me, will be to see if Williams can ultimately be an asset.....hard to predict, when you consider friggin' Geraldo looks downright Tom Brokaw-like by comparison these days.

Get rid of the opinion driven talk shows and got back to anchor's reading news.

Morning Joe and Hardball are the two shows I watch fairly regularly on MSNBC. Chris Matthews is the best political analyst on TV so it is always interesting to hear his thoughts on politics. Other than those two shows, MSNBC is pretty lame. For straight up news, nothing beats CNN. They shoot straight unlike Fox where even the news is slanted.

Get rid of the opinion driven talk shows and got back to anchor's reading news.

I happen to agree with you.....at least as the traditional old fart that I happen to be.

But how you attract viewers (or advertisers, for that matter) to that kind of format 24/7/365.....especially now that the public has both become accustomed to a genre which, depending on your viewpoint, is viewed largely as extremist in nature.....and which Fox eventually proved could sell....is something I can't figure out.

Besides, the fact competition eventually forced CNN to depart from their original hard-news concept which largely put them on the air (mostly during Desert Storm/Shield) seems to indicate little ongoing interest in that basic format.

ADVERTISEMENT