ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Furfari, Raese, and crew were wrong again!

wbgvwbgv

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2001
It’s truly amazing what WVU wrestling coach SAMMIE HENSON has done in the short time he’s been in Morgantown, taking a program that had not placed in the top 25 at NCAAs in 11 years and leading the Mountaineers to a 20th-place finish in 2015.

Now, Henson has put together one of the top recruiting classes in the country, according to FloWrestling.

Three of Henson’s recruits won national titles this year – AUSTIN MYERS (220), CONNOR FLYNN (152) and KEEGAN MOORE (132), while 125-pounder DEVIN BROWN won the prestigious Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic.

FloWrestling rated Henson’s first WVU haul No. 5 in the nation and second in the Big 12 Conference behind just Oklahoma State.

. . . . . . . . .

The latest NCAA Division I baseball attendance report came out earlier this week and West Virginia has jumped to 37th this week with an average of 1,744 fans per game. West Virginia’s average attendance for its 14 dates at brand new Monongalia County Ballpark now puts the Mountaineers sixth in the Big 12 in average attendance behind Texas (5,517), TCU (3,841), Texas Tech (3,665), Kansas State (2,630) and Baylor (2,351).

That just goes to show you the saying “build it and they will come” rings true.

Anecdotally, I was told that WVU’s total concession sales for its first weekend series against Butler when the Mountaineers drew nearly 7,000 fans was approximately the equivalent of “three or four years” of concessions sales at old Hawley Field.

http://mobile.wvusports.com/index.cfm?func=blogs&blog=ccBlog&story=28009

It’s truly amazing what WVU wrestling coach SAMMIE HENSON has done in the short time he’s been in Morgantown, taking a program that had not placed in the top 25 at NCAAs in 11 years and leading the Mountaineers to a 20th-place finish in 2015.

Now, Henson has put together one of the top recruiting classes in the country, according to FloWrestling.

Three of Henson’s recruits won national titles this year – AUSTIN MYERS (220), CONNOR FLYNN (152) and KEEGAN MOORE (132), while 125-pounder DEVIN BROWN won the prestigious Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic.

FloWrestling rated Henson’s first WVU haul No. 5 in the nation and second in the Big 12 Conference behind just Oklahoma State.

. . . . . . . . .

The latest NCAA Division I baseball attendance report came out earlier this week and West Virginia has jumped to 37th this week with an average of 1,744 fans per game. West Virginia’s average attendance for its 14 dates at brand new Monongalia County Ballpark now puts the Mountaineers sixth in the Big 12 in average attendance behind Texas (5,517), TCU (3,841), Texas Tech (3,665), Kansas State (2,630) and Baylor (2,351).

Anecdotally, I was told that WVU’s total concession sales for its first weekend series against Butler when the Mountaineers drew nearly 7,000 fans was approximately the equivalent of “three or four years” of concessions sales at old Hawley Field.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they questioned the hiring of Henson as much as how Luck handled the firing of the previous staff.

Coaching is everything.........Now and forever......

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they questioned the hiring of Henson as much as Luck's firing of the previous staff.

They questioned the need for changes in many of our programs - wrestling, football, baseball, conference affiliation, etc. They were clearly wrong as usual and only last week Furfari wrote another ridiculous and bogus article about attendance at the new baseball stadium. I was very surprised to see that WVU had jumped to 37th place in average fans per game (1,744).

They questioned the need for changes in many of our programs - wrestling, football, baseball, conference affiliation, etc. They were clearly wrong as usual and only last week Furfari wrote another ridiculous and bogus article about attendance at the new baseball stadium. I was very surprised to see that WVU had jumped to 37th place in average fans per game (1,744).

Please provide a link to raese said anything about the hiring of Henson. I will patiently wait for your response.

Everyone knows that FurFari was/is a frontman for the Raese brothers. I happen to believe that Furfari does little more than attach his name to most of the bogus articles generated by Raese ass kissers. After Luck exposed and eventually stopped the WV Radio Corp. scam which was concocted by John Raese and had funneled millions of dollars away from the Athletic Department into his own pockets, the mean spirited Furfari was utilized in a veiled attempt to discredit most of the improvements being implemented at the time and calling for Luck to be fired.

And just as the WV voters have repeatedly rejected the Floridian carpetbagger, the Alumni have also rejected John Raese by giving even higher donations to the Foundation and supporting the vast majority of changes made in the Athletic Department which includes the changes made in the wrestling program.

Firing of Turnbull not justified
March 30, 2014
Mickey Furfari - Fan Fare , journal-news.net

http://www.journal-news.net/page/co...iring-of-Turnbull-not-justified.html?nav=5022

Everyone knows that FurFari was/is a frontman for the Raese brothers. I happen to believe that Furfari does little more than attach his name to most of the bogus articles generated by Raese ass kissers. After Luck exposed and eventually stopped the WV Radio Corp. scam which was concocted by John Raese and had funneled millions of dollars away from the Athletic Department into his own pockets, the mean spirited Furfari was utilized in a veiled attempt to discredit most of the improvements being implemented at the time and calling for Luck to be fired.

And just as the WV voters have repeatedly rejected the Floridian carpetbagger, the Alumni have also rejected John Raese by giving even higher donations to the Foundation and supporting the vast majority of changes made in the Athletic Department which includes the changes made in the wrestling program.

March 30, 2014

http://www.journal-news.net/page/co...iring-of-Turnbull-not-justified.html?nav=5022
So you dont have a link? Just say so. All your conspiracy bs seems a bit crazy. Nobody has suggested sammy is a bad hire so you can just stop saying that now moron.

March 30, 2014

I guess Gee is a mouthpiece for Raese too? That is why he ran Ollie off right?

The thread is about the need for change and not about who was hired. Why are Raese ass kissers the dumbest people in WVU's fan base? Gee was one of Luck's biggest supporters promoting him to Associate Vice President of WVU along with a significant salary increase - strange way to run someone off. LOL!

Luck isn't popular with a lot of the locals because he came in and fired several under performing coaches who had been at WVU for way too long to begin with. Unfortunately he also gave Dana a premature contract extension that is now a noose around the neck of this program.

Either way Luck still did much more good than bad during his tenure as AD.

You may have forgotten that Gee refused to meet with John Raese implying that he seemed somewhat unstable and his demands were irrational. Raese, feeling very insulted by the snub, proceeded to write his childish open letters in his own newspaper. LOL!

If Lyons is smart he won't let the "trash" that Luck removed anywhere near the Athletic Department.

The thread is about the need for change and not about who was hired. Why are Raese ass kissers the dumbest people in WVU's fan base? Gee was one of Luck's biggest supporters promoting him to Associate Vice President of WVU along with a significant salary increase - strange way to run someone off. LOL!
Yet amazingly luck is gone and no lawsuit is filed.

You started this thread talking about henson and what he has accomplushed. I asked you for a link to anyone saying henson was a bad hire and all you could reply with was conspiracy and lunacy and no link about anything regarding henson. I am sorry you cant back up your claims

Someone had to be the hatchet man, clearly Luck didn't mind. He should have handled Stewart better - just fire him b/c the coach in waiting thing is always terrible idea.

Turnbull and Van Zant needed to go though, and probably last 5 years longer than they should have. Ollie showed it is not acceptable to coast into retirement while your program wallows in mediocrity.

I think it is better to give contract extensions to be competitive in power conferences than to establish a coaching carousel like the one at Pitt. And compared to the other Big 12 coaches, Holgorsen's extension seems reasonable:

1. Art Briles, Baylor
55-34 in seven seasons at Baylor. Signed through 2023. Will reportedly earn more than $4 million in 2015.

2. Gary Patterson, TCU
132-45 in 15 seasons. Signed through 2020. Will reportedly earn more than $3 million in 2015.

3. Bill Snyder, Kansas State
187-94 in 23 seasons. Signed through 2017. Will earn $2.95 million in 2015.

4. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
168-44 in 16 seasons. Signed through 2020. Will earn $5.3 million in 2015

5. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State
84-44 in 10 seasons. Signed through 2019. Will earn $3.1 million in 2015.

6. David Beaty, Kansas
Hired in December. Signed through 2019. Will earn $800,000 in 2015.

7. Charlie Strong, Texas
6-7 in one season. Signed through 2018. Will earn $5 million in 2015.

8. Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia
28-23 in four seasons. Signed through 2017. Will earn $2.8 million in 2015.

9. Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech
12-13 in two seasons. Signed through 2020. Will make $3.1 million in 2015

10. Paul Rhoads, Iowa State
29-46 in six seasons. Signed through 2021. Will make $1.9 million in 2015.

Holgorsen now has the 3rd lowest salary in the conference and is tied with Bill Snyder for the shortest contract.

You started this thread talking about henson and what he has accomplushed. I asked you for a link to anyone saying henson was a bad hire and all you could reply with was conspiracy and lunacy and no link about anything regarding henson. I am sorry you cant back up your claims

Wrong - I started this thread by acknowledging the accomplishments of a program where a change was made to the coaching staff. A change that was criticized by a bunch of disgruntled ignorant losers who are now eating crow. Why are Raese ass kissers the dumbest fans in WVU's fan base?

Wrong - I started this thread by acknowledging the accomplishments of a program where a change was made to the coaching staff. A change that was criticized by a bunch of disgruntled ignorant losers who are now eating crow. Why are Raese ass kissers the dumbest fans in WVU's fan base?
And i asked you a question that you have dodged ducked dived dipped and dodged. All you brought was a load of bs.

Your assumptions were incorrect and your questions were irrelevant to this thread. Par for the course with most of your 100,000+ postings.

Your assumptions were incorrect and your questions were irrelevant to this thread. Par for the course with most of your 100,000+ postings.
What assumption did i make? I asked you a question abd you cant answer it. Keep spinning dummy.

The OP was clearly just a bit over the top....but still valid regarding Furfari.

He CLEARLY didn't want our former coach fired ( and I don't buy into the theory that it was how it was done not that it was done ) so it could easily be argued that he didn't want ANY new coach hired. Firing our former coach was clearly the correct move ... ...And it still would've been even without any new success .

Sure, success validates the move but sticking with a loyal but under-performing coach was NEVER going to be the right answer.

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
Luck chafed a lot of people because he was a business man and not tethered to the old way of doing things. Raese, Fufuri, and others went off the reservation when that changed. Never mind that its exactly what WVU needed if it wanted to catch up with the way things are done in todays college sports landscape. Some wopuld just as soon be stuck in the AAC and have a good ol' boy that they know in charge than allow one that they didn't move us forward.

What assumption did i make? I asked you a question abd you cant answer it. Keep spinning dummy.

You erroneously assumed that this thread was about Sammie Henson rather than about the need for a coaching change in the wrestling program that has already been played out justifying the decision. You then proceeded to ask dumb irrelevant questions followed by dumb monotonous request for links. Like I said before, par for the course with most of your 100,000+ postings.

You erroneously assumed that this thread was about Sammie Henson rather than about the need for a coaching change in the wrestling program that has already been played out justifying the decision. You then proceeded to ask dumb irrelevant questions followed by dumb monotonous request for links. Like I said before, par for the course with most of your 100,000+ postings.
I understand. You cant answer my question. The answer doesnt exist. Lesson over.

Really... ...Dave has completely taken this thread in a direction that's not logical.

.... and I don't have a dog in this fight.

why so dogmatic?..anyone who isn't like minded is a fool or a loser..lol

March 30, 2014

March 30, 2014

Well, that puts you in the same boat with Mickey because you both are wrong. Mickey is NOT a lackey for Raese even though his articles often buttress Raese's poutty breath-holding rants.

Mickey was unhappy with what Oliver Luck was doing, mainly to Mickey's long-time friends like Turnbull, Van Zant and Bill Stewart. I disagree with Mickey, and told him so, and Mickey was fine with that.

Oliver Luck went through and rooted out any coaches he didn't think were Big 12 quality. The baseball and wrestling hires prove that Mickey was wrong, although Mazey is having his problems, too, now.

Dana is up in the air as to whether Oliver gets this one under "success" or "bust." If WVU isn't 3-0 heading into the Oklahoma game, the Mountaineers and Dana could be in trouble. After all, if Dana is canned now, Oliver Luck doesn't have to admit he was wrong because he's with the NCAA management.

But Mickey is his own man. In this case, his views matched Raese's agenda. But Mickey is not happy with the pittance Raese gives him in his monthly retirement check even though others were given increases. So you go that part as wrong as Mickey did when he objected to Oliver getting new coaches in baseball and wrestling. Football, who knows?

We all get that you are Furfari's friend, but that doesn't change the fact that he receives compensation from the Raese brothers and writes mean spirited articles that are full of misrepresentations and deliberate falsehoods. His credibility is now very low (his own making) and his objectivity is suspect with a lot of fans. WVU's student athletes deserve to be coached by the best available individuals and not Furfari's coaching friends. They deserve nice facilities, opportunities at the next level, and a supportive fan base - they don't deserve the garbage that he puts out or his negativity.

IMO, Furfari has no place in WVU Sports Hall of Fame and should be removed. He wasn't a university athlete or administrator or big financial donor, but someone who got that recognition by writing favorable things (even if untrue) about his buddies and unfavorable things (flat-out lies) about the people he personally disliked.

Last edited:
We all get that you are Furfari's friend, but that doesn't change the fact that he receives compensation from the Raese brothers and writes mean spirited articles that are full of misrepresentations and deliberate falsehoods. His credibility is now very low (his own making) and his objectivity is suspect with a lot of fans. WVU's student athletes deserve to be coached by the best available individuals and not Furfari's coaching friends. They deserve nice facilities, opportunities at the next level, and a supportive fan base - they don't deserve the garbage the he puts out or his negativity.

IMO, Furfari has no place in WVU Sports Hall of Fame and should be removed. He wasn't an university athlete or administrator or big financial donor, but someone who got that recognition by writing favorable things (even if untrue) about his buddies and unfavorable things (flat-out lies) about the people he personally disliked.

So it is ok for you to write untrue things about people you dislike but you are going to hold that against Mickey? Mkay hypocrite.

. . . . . . . . .

Who was the poster here who kept saying the boom would be lowered on OL, WVU and IMG over the whole rights deal? That poster kept saying "just you wait and see". Is that boom still going to happen? or are we still waiting? or is that all over?

We are doomed . Thank God Gee ran that traitor luck out of the state

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT