ADVERTISEMENT

Liberal university wants to ban the word, "American." It's offensive.

Ban? offensive? lol You can't stop, won't stop posting every stupid thing you can find, well done.

Libs just being libs. They can't help themselves. BTW, when a Republican Senator threatened the school's money supply, the President came out against the guidelines.

Ban? offensive? lol You can't stop, won't stop posting every stupid thing you can find, well done.
No, what's really stupid is UNH's ridiculous "bias-free language guide" and terms like "micro-aggression", "micro-assault", "micro-insult", and "micro-invalidation." News flash for the hyper-sensitive Yankees: Everywhere else on earth, citizens of the United States are called Americans - nobody refers to Brazilians or Canadians or Guatemalans as "Americans" even though all of those countries are found on the continents and sub-contents known collectively as "The Americas."

No, what's really stupid is UNH's ridiculous "bias-free language guide" and terms like "micro-aggression", "micro-assault", "micro-insult", and "micro-invalidation." News flash for the hyper-sensitive Yankees: Everywhere else on earth, citizens of the United States are called Americans - nobody refers to Brazilians or Canadians or Guatemalans as "Americans" even though all of those countries are found on the continents and sub-contents known collectively as "The Americas."
It's definitely stupid but it's not anti-American, more of a comment that a nitpicking english prof would make on some freshman's paper. The right wants to make something out of nothing on this one and the OP can't even accurately describe the linked article.

Reactions: D. Denzil Finney
It's definitely stupid but it's not anti-American, more of a comment that a nitpicking english prof would make on some freshman's paper. The right wants to make something out of nothing on this one and the OP can't even accurately describe the linked article.

I was having some fun. But the sad reality is that they wanted to target AMERICAN as a word that apparently causes distress. Such BS. At some point libs like you are going to have to acknowledge that most college campuses, as Popeer observed, are becoming the height of absurdity. Trigger warnings, safe room, free speech zones. They are not preparing these kids for the real world because in the real world, people are going to hear language they don't agree with. Not many safe rooms in the business world.

I was having some fun. But the sad reality is that they wanted to target AMERICAN as a word that apparently causes distress. Such BS. At some point libs like you are going to have to acknowledge that most college campuses, as Popeer observed, are becoming the height of absurdity. Trigger warnings, safe room, free speech zones. They are not preparing these kids for the real world because in the real world, people are going to hear language they don't agree with. Not many safe rooms in the business world.
"they wanted to target American" quit making stuff up, just stop, k? And quit being a drama queen about college campuses. 99.9% of college grads will not be indoctrinated by any of the nonsense that you claim. It's been a while but I got a college degree and I don't ever remember a professor trying to push his/her political (or other) agenda on me and if they did, it made no difference to me. I would assume that most current college students are the same. I agree that college doesn't prepare a large percentage of grads for the real world but it's just because nearly everything you need to know to be a productive employee you will learn in the workplace.

"they wanted to target American" quit making stuff up, just stop, k? And quit being a drama queen about college campuses. 99.9% of college grads will not be indoctrinated by any of the nonsense that you claim. It's been a while but I got a college degree and I don't ever remember a professor trying to push his/her political (or other) agenda on me and if they did, it made no difference to me. I would assume that most current college students are the same. I agree that college doesn't prepare a large percentage of grads for the real world but it's just because nearly everything you need to know to be a productive employee you will learn in the workplace.

What do you call it when the guide specifically stated that AMERICAN was problematic? Do yourself a favor and educate yourself. Google college campus safe rooms, trigger warnings and free speech zones. They exist all over this country on college campuses. I have 5 children, three of which have attended college (2 are not old enough yet) and all have had lib professors preaching from their pulpits, particularly around election time.

If "target American" means it simply was included in this guide, then it was "targeted" smh. As for what is and has been your children's college experience, I'm sad to say that your credibility with me is zero and I don't believe you. I would have to hear it from your children and that won't happen. You're just too big of a loony on these topics and you just make up too much stuff to be believed. Case in point is this thread. You post an article in which nowhere in it does the university say that they are offended by the word American but it's right there in your subject line. The school wasn't looking to ban the word either but you say they are. You struggle with the truth because you're too busy editorializing and trying to push your own warped world view and conspiracy theories. Flame away but don't expect anyone to take you seriously on any topic. Even if your children's professors occasionally offered their views on politics, religion, whatever, who cares? Hearing different points of view might actually help to prepare your kids for the real world and is nothing to be feared. It probably upsets you that they hear something different from what you try to brain wash them with at home.

If "target American" means it simply was included in this guide, then it was "targeted" smh. As for what is and has been your children's college experience, I'm sad to say that your credibility with me is zero and I don't believe you. I would have to hear it from your children and that won't happen. You're just too big of a loony on these topics and you just make up too much stuff to be believed. Case in point is this thread. You post an article in which nowhere in it does the university say that they are offended by the word American but it's right there in your subject line. The school wasn't looking to ban the word either but you say they are. You struggle with the truth because you're too busy editorializing and trying to push your own warped world view and conspiracy theories. Flame away but don't expect anyone to take you seriously on any topic. Even if your children's professors occasionally offered their views on politics, religion, whatever, who cares? Hearing different points of view might actually help to prepare your kids for the real world and is nothing to be feared. It probably upsets you that they hear something different from what you try to brain wash them with at home.

Apparently you can't read. You certainly won't take time to educate yourself. The word AMERICAN was deemed problematic! That is a FACT. The university President blasted this guide. Why did he do it if it was so innocuous?

I don't think you have a clue what is going on in college campuses.

Apparently you can't read. You certainly won't take time to educate yourself. The word AMERICAN was deemed problematic! That is a FACT. The university President blasted this guide. Why did he do it if it was so innocuous?

I don't think you have a clue what is going on in college campuses.
Problematic?! goodness but just because the word could be inaccurate in a particular use not because they are anti-American in any way which is how you tried to spin this. Did you know that the words problematic and banned do not have the same meaning? but in your world they mean the same thing apparently. You've picked a stupider than normal article to get on your soapbox about. Also I've probably been a college student (graduate school) more recently than you (if ever), finished about 7 years ago.

Problematic?! goodness but just because the word could be inaccurate in a particular use not because they are anti-American in any way which is how you tried to spin this. Did you know that the words problematic and banned do not have the same meaning? but in your world they mean the same thing apparently. You've picked a stupider than normal article to get on your soapbox about. Also I've probably been a college student (graduate school) more recently than you (if ever), finished about 7 years ago.

How in your world can identifying American be problematic? My God, take off your blinders. Why did the university President apologize?

I understand that libs want to defend other libs. But sometimes, you have to call it like it is.

How in your world can identifying American be problematic? My God, take off your blinders. Why did the university President apologize?

I understand that libs want to defend other libs. But sometimes, you have to call it like it is.[/QUOTE
You don't even understand the article that you linked. Read Popeer's post.

Let me try one more time. This university is in New Hampshire, one of our 50 states. When a student or faculty member says "American", they are referring to a citizen of the country in which New Hampshire is a state. The word American is not problematic as acknowledged by the university president. I think Popeer understands that. I understand that. The university President understands that. You somehow don't seem to understand that.

Let me try one more time. This university is in New Hampshire, one of our 50 states. When a student or faculty member says "American", they are referring to a citizen of the country in which New Hampshire is a state. The word American is not problematic as acknowledged by the university president. I think Popeer understands that. I understand that. The university President understands that. You somehow don't seem to understand that.
lol, I feel sorry for your kids or anyone else who has contact with you. I didn't say it was problematic and have no problem with the use of the word in any context but this obscure guide at the UNH thinks that it is but I understand the wrong headed logic that they used. The article is about the guide not the univerity's president's response to the article you posted. The quote is as follows, "The guide recommends against the term because it “assumes the U.S. is the only country inside” the continents of North and South America." It doesn't surprise me though that you'd zero in on such a stupid article. Unfortunately for you, it has nothing to do with anyone at the university being anti-American which just ruins your whole premise. This is the perfect illustration of the saying "Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience". My mistake (again).

lol, I feel sorry for your kids or anyone else who has contact with you. I didn't say it was problematic and have no problem with the use of the word in any context but this obscure guide at the UNH thinks that it is but I understand the wrong headed logic that they used. The article is about the guide not the univerity's president's response to the article you posted. The quote is as follows, "The guide recommends against the term because it “assumes the U.S. is the only country inside” the continents of North and South America." It doesn't surprise me though that you'd zero in on such a stupid article. Unfortunately for you, it has nothing to do with anyone at the university being anti-American which just ruins your whole premise. This is the perfect illustration of the saying "Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience". My mistake (again).

Libs being libs. Only at a liberal university would this ever become an issue. You acknowledge its stupid and then blame me for posting it, lol. But this kind of example is happening all over the country and you seem to be extraordinarily unaware of it. Trigger warnings. Safe spaces with dolls and donuts and soft music. Free speech zones which is the only place on campus where you have free speech rights. As Popeer pointed out, micro-aggression and other absurd concepts. Universities used to be all about free expression and debate. Not any more. Read about this stuff. You'll learn something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT