ADVERTISEMENT

Letterman's last show is tonight.

Op2

All-Conference
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2014
I think his show has really fallen off in recent years but still it's an end of an era to see him go. Back in the 80s and 90s he was really good.

They didn't announce who the guests would be for his last show so I'm curious.

Been watching the past couple weeks and 2 things seem obvious to me. 1) The reason why I stopped watching was re-affirmed as Dave comes across as bitter and angry so often these days, especially politically. 2) Clips of his old bits and guests are still funny as hell.

Last night he had the guy from Hello Deli on and they ran a clip of their old bit of Dave sending him out into NYC with an earpiece, and Dave would feed him lines to say to people. Hilarious, but hard to believe it was 20 years ago. :(

Been watching the past couple weeks and 2 things seem obvious to me. 1) The reason why I stopped watching was re-affirmed as Dave comes across as bitter and angry so often these days, especially politically. 2) Clips of his old bits and guests are still funny as hell.

Last night he had the guy from Hello Deli on and they ran a clip of their old bit of Dave sending him out into NYC with an earpiece, and Dave would feed him lines to say to people. Hilarious, but hard to believe it was 20 years ago. :(

Record is intact. Have never watched a Dave letterman show.

Days and dates may change, but Right Wingers absolutely NEVER do.....

Days and dates may change, but Right Wingers absolutely NEVER do.....
And the left continue to hitch onto the statements intended as comedy to guide their thought process regarding world events even tho the Daves accept no bounds of the impact as long as they can get laughter.

And the left continue to hitch onto the statements intended as comedy to guide their thought process regarding world events even tho the Daves accept no bounds of the impact as long as they can get laughter.
Can someone cite me an instance where the court jester ever led to victory? They are there to entertain the true leaders.

I think his show has really fallen off in recent years but still it's an end of an era to see him go. Back in the 80s and 90s he was really good.

Kinda surprised the Foo were his last "guests", but I really dug it. Good stuff last night.

Never watched. I'm assuming his program was a lot like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad - cult following, but, anyone with an IQ over 100 wouldn't dare watch.

Never watched. I'm assuming his program was a lot like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad - cult following, but, anyone with an IQ over 100 wouldn't dare watch.
Missing out on BrBa is on you, brah.

LOL! I would bet Dave Letterman's IQ is higher than most posters on this board. Dang good final show!

LOL! I would bet Dave Letterman's IQ is higher than most posters on this board. Dang good final show!

You are 100% correct about Dave's IQ.......BUT 3:16's comment was about the followers. Did you not understand the post? You just proved your own post..... LMAO

Missing out on BrBa is on you, brah.
Never watched Letterman. I don't really care for the hacky comedy. Moreover, the famous people he interviews are not interesting at all to me.

With that said, Breaking Bad and GoT were/are awesome shows.

You are 100% correct about Dave's IQ.......BUT 3:16's comment was about the followers. Did you not understand the post? You just proved your own post..... LMAO

It would be very interesting if all the posters on here took an IQ test and the results were published.

It would be very interesting if all the posters on here took an IQ test and the results were published.

Yes it would. Since I already have been tested, I assure you I would be in the top 1% and I also have the "common sense" to go along with it. Unbeatable combination.

Yeah, cult following. Most people that have a national TV show for a third of a century have only a cult following.

http://nypost.com/2015/05/20/why-letterman-was-ultimately-a-disappointment-to-gen-x/

This story has a point. It was early 2000's when I stopped watching regularly.

I can't really disagree with that article. His show was fantastic in the 80s and much of the 90s but for many years now I'd rarely watch and when I did watch, I'd cringe. The show became lazy and unfunny, which is kinda the worst thing you can say about a show like his. By the end he was well entrenched in 3rd in the ratings behind Fallon and Kimmel.

He became political, which is unwise for a show like his, but worst of all it was lazy political humor. Show a clip of W stumbling over some words and laugh at it. Make an easy and unfunny fat joke about Christie. As a comedian such humor would have been well beneath Dave in his prime. But political humor aside, even the regular humor wasn't very good.

One of the great things about the early days was that Dave did so much with so little pomp. In fact, avoiding the pomp in comedy was what he was about to begin with. So he'd do a Top Ten list by just saying "Here's tonight's Top Ten list from our home office in Topeka, Kansas" and then he'd do it and the top ten would be funny and Dave's pauses during it or remarks about it would be funny and the audience would laugh.

By the end of his show, when he did the Top Ten list he'd say "Here's tonight's Top Ten list" and a bunch graphics would come up and go from 10 to 1 and music would play and the audience would applaud and he'd wait for the applause to die down and it was a big to do before the list even started. Then he'd go through the list and the audience would applaud over half of them for some reason. What is the point of applauding a joke? I thought jokes were to be laughed at. And then maybe applaud at the end of the show or the end of a bit to show your appreciation. By the end of the Letterman run the audience would applaud every joke.

So by the end of Letterman's the Top Ten became a giant showy production, the humor of which was an afterthought. By the end people would watch the Letterman Top Ten because it was the Letterman Top Ten. OTOH back in the 80s the people would watch the Letterman Top Ten because it was...funny!

By the end of the Letterman show the point of watching was because it was the Letterman show. But back in the 80s the point of watching the Letterman show was because it was funny. The show was funny and it got big because it was funny but after it got big it focused too much on being big instead of on being funny,.

I can't really disagree with that article. His show was fantastic in the 80s and much of the 90s but for many years now I'd rarely watch and when I did watch, I'd cringe. The show became lazy and unfunny, which is kinda the worst thing you can say about a show like his. By the end he was well entrenched in 3rd in the ratings behind Fallon and Kimmel.

He became political, which is unwise for a show like his, but worst of all it was lazy political humor. Show a clip of W stumbling over some words and laugh at it. Make an easy and unfunny fat joke about Christie. As a comedian such humor would have been well beneath Dave in his prime. But political humor aside, even the regular humor wasn't very good.

One of the great things about the early days was that Dave did so much with so little pomp. In fact, avoiding the pomp in comedy was what he was about to begin with. So he'd do a Top Ten list by just saying "Here's tonight's Top Ten list from our home office in Topeka, Kansas" and then he'd do it and the top ten would be funny and Dave's pauses during it or remarks about it would be funny and the audience would laugh.

By the end of his show, when he did the Top Ten list he'd say "Here's tonight's Top Ten list" and a bunch graphics would come up and go from 10 to 1 and music would play and the audience would applaud and he'd wait for the applause to die down and it was a big to do before the list even started. Then he'd go through the list and the audience would applaud over half of them for some reason. What is the point of applauding a joke? I thought jokes were to be laughed at. And then maybe applaud at the end of the show or the end of a bit to show your appreciation. By the end of the Letterman run the audience would applaud every joke.

So by the end of Letterman's the Top Ten became a giant showy production, the humor of which was an afterthought. By the end people would watch the Letterman Top Ten because it was the Letterman Top Ten. OTOH back in the 80s the people would watch the Letterman Top Ten because it was...funny!

By the end of the Letterman show the point of watching was because it was the Letterman show. But back in the 80s the point of watching the Letterman show was because it was funny. The show was funny and it got big because it was funny but after it got big it focused too much on being big instead of on being funny,.
It certainly looks like you were a believer. Such dedication is quit rare, IMO.

The best thing about the show its off the air.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT