ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Staten

SteelHeadEer

All-Conference
Feb 2, 2013
Goes undrafted.

Would he have been drafted last year if he would have left early?

Did the change in scheme last year hurt Wanny's draft potential?

Was it size, age, lack of range on his jumper?

I think Staten would make a good/serviceable second unit PG on the right team. A team with scoring wings and bigs on the second unit.

Since the Sixers apparently lost their minds and drafted 15 bigs when they need a couple guards, maybe he can sign with them and win a roster spot.

Goes undrafted.

I think Staten would make a good/serviceable second unit PG on the right team. A team with scoring wings and bigs on the second unit.

Since the Sixers apparently lost their minds and drafted 15 bigs when they need a couple guards, maybe he can sign with them and win a roster spot.
Not really surprising to me. I think he has a chance to stick with someone but he has to find the right team.

If he came out last year it would have been the same.

You have to be a freak to make up for being a guard that cant shoot even a college 3, like Rajon Rondo. Staten isn't that, he simply doesn't measure up to being an NBA PG. Its not hopeless for him, look at Dellavedova, Staten is easily a better prospect coming out than him.

As a Sixers fan, I hope so. They go in with greatest need at guard and draft 3 centers and 2 forwards.

I kept looking for a trade that never happened. They worked Staten out twice.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Goes undrafted.

Very good college player, not great. He had those 2 big short comings. I'd have him on my college team every year.

The folks who say Juwan Staten should have come out a year ago conveniently forget that he tried only 15 three-point shots in his entire junior season, and made just six of them.

What NBA team is going to fritter away a draft pick on a 5-foot-11 point guard who cannot shoot a three ball?

Coming back for his senior season -- with a marked improvement in his shooting from behind the line -- was the smart play.

He still didn't get drafted? Yeah, and he's still 5-foot-11. He'll likely have to prove himself in the D-League.

Reactions: wvpaper
Count me as one of those "folks," 43rd Parallel. I posted on here last year that Staten had cost himself money by returning to school for a fifth year, and was widely criticized. Whether he would have been drafted after his great junior season or not, he would have earned money playing overseas last season, if not in the NBA. Even a D-League assignment would have earned him a little scratch, and valuable professional experience. He never was, or will be, a good three-point shooter; that's not his game. He had virtually no chance of getting drafted Thursday night. He was a year older, and coming off of a senior season, which was not as good as his junior campaign. WVU fans selfishly wanted him to return to school, and I get that, but he didn't become Steph Curry from behind the Arc by staying in school a fifth year. The three-point argument is lame.

I seriously doubt he would have gotten drafted last year. Also, dont act like just because he didnt get drafted his senior season was a waste. This isnt like football where if you dont land somewhere your life can go down the crapper, there are many more opportunities overseas, or domestically in the D league, and Staten will undoubtedly land in a decent Euro league and make plenty of "scratch". He also benefitted from putting in a year towards a masters as a fall back option should he get hurt, and staying that extra year really elevated his status among the alumni which will provide him some networking opportunities within the AD Im sure should he decide to become an assistant, or get in on the business side of sports.

I KNOW that Staten didn't get drafted after his senior season, but you DON'T KNOW whether he would have been drafted after his junior season. Getting a "year towards a masters" isn't worth throwing away a year of your short basketball career, and the development, experience, and money, which goes along with playing professionally. Your "networking" angle is overstated, and unsupported by facts. WVU basketball fans selfishly wanted Staten to return to school for a fifth year, and that's all there is to it. Trying to transform this selfish desire into logic is silly.

If he couldn't show enough to get drafted in the numerous workouts he had with teams this year he wouldn't have shown enough last year either. I just never believed, when watching Wanny play, that I was watching a future NBA player.

Does he have the athletic ability to play in the league? Yes.

But, besides his shooting struggles and his height, he's never shown the intangibles that a good NBA point guard has. I've seen him make some very good individual moves to the basket. But I don't think I ever saw him make a pass where I said, "Wow! What a pass!" And if it did happen it was the exception and not the rule. A short NBA point guard must consistently be a very good to superior passer in both the half-court and on the run.

Maybe if he had played on a team in college that didn't spend half it's time on offense standing around he may have developed better passing instincts. Who knows? But it is what it is.

Maybe if he had played on a team in college that didn't spend half it's time on offense standing around he may have developed better passing instincts. Who knows?

giphy.gif

averaged nearly 150 assists a season at WVU.

I KNOW that Staten didn't get drafted after his senior season, but you DON'T KNOW whether he would have been drafted after his junior season. Getting a "year towards a masters" isn't worth throwing away a year of your short basketball career, and the development, experience, and money, which goes along with playing professionally. Your "networking" angle is overstated, and unsupported by facts. WVU basketball fans selfishly wanted Staten to return to school for a fifth year, and that's all there is to it. Trying to transform this selfish desire into logic is silly.

You DONT KNOW either, but his measurables would have undoubtedly been comparable to this year where he went undrafted, the only difference would have been he was a year younger, and the difference between coming out as a 22 year old vs a 23 year old simply doesnt mean that much, both ages mean he has minimal room for growth as a basketball player. He has 10+ years to play basketball whether its overseas or here, again you're over dramatizing it, its NOT LIKE FOOTBALL. I know players from my high school who played low level D1 and D3 that are obviously far lesser players than Staten who have made it overseas for 5+ years now, he will find work for a long time if he desires so long as he is healthy.

It really makes no difference as most of the second rounder's don't make the team anyways. Your argument for an extra year of money is valid, but maybe he enjoyed his time at WVU and wanted another year before entering the real life. I met a guy who played overseas, and while they made good money were absolutely miserable and came back. You just never know the situation.

The fact remains that weather drafted or not, Staten most likely will never have played in the NBA.

This is the reverse argument that if Joe Alexander stayed another year he would be in the NBA right now, which is a foolish argument as well.

It really makes no difference as most of the second rounder's don't make the team anyways. Your argument for an extra year of money is valid, but maybe he enjoyed his time at WVU and wanted another year before entering the real life. I met a guy who played overseas, and while they made good money were absolutely miserable and came back. You just never know the situation.

The fact remains that weather drafted or not, Staten most likely will never have played in the NBA.

This is the reverse argument that if Joe Alexander stayed another year he would be in the NBA right now, which is a foolish argument as well.
Weak strawman argument about Alexander. Joe was 100% right to have left when he did. He jumped when he knew that his NBA value was at its pinnacle. Again, this only supports my argument about Staten: Leave when your value is at its highest, and make as much money as you can to play a game, which has a short shelf life. I think that you and I agree that at a minimum, Staten lost a year's worth of money playing somewhere professionally.

You DONT KNOW either, but his measurables would have undoubtedly been comparable to this year where he went undrafted, the only difference would have been he was a year younger, and the difference between coming out as a 22 year old vs a 23 year old simply doesnt mean that much, both ages mean he has minimal room for growth as a basketball player. He has 10+ years to play basketball whether its overseas or here, again you're over dramatizing it, its NOT LIKE FOOTBALL. I know players from my high school who played low level D1 and D3 that are obviously far lesser players than Staten who have made it overseas for 5+ years now, he will find work for a long time if he desires so long as he is healthy.
You conveniently ignore the statistical differences between Staten's junior and senior seasons. Staten was better as a junior than as a senior, and the numbers clearly bear this out. The most glaring difference is the large drop off in FG shooting percentage from his junior year to his senior season (.486 vs. .421). Further, you ignore the fact that Staten had been an ironman in '13-'14, but appeared to be somewhat injury prone in '14-'15. These are other things, which weigh against your argument. You make it seem as if the only difference was that Staten was a year older. That's nonsense. Staten was a better NBA prospect after his junior season than after his senior season, and lost a year's worth of money, any way you slice it, by returning to school for a fifth season.

You conveniently ignore the statistical differences between Staten's junior and senior seasons. Staten was better as a junior than as a senior, and the numbers clearly bear this out. The most glaring difference is the large drop off in FG shooting percentage from his junior year to his senior season (.486 vs. .421). Further, you ignore the fact that Staten had been an ironman in '13-'14, but appeared to be somewhat injury prone in '14-'15. These are other things, which weigh against your argument. You make it seem as if the only difference was that Staten was a year older. That's nonsense. Staten was a better NBA prospect after his junior season than after his senior season, and lost a year's worth of money, any way you slice it, by returning to school for a fifth season.

His statistical output dropped because we were a better team thus he didn't have to put in the minutes he did his JR year. His FG % dropped because we were a pressing team which requires more effort to be exerted on the defensive end. He didn't become a worse player, he just played on a team that didn't require him to go apeshit for a chance to win, as evidenced by our significantly better record despite Staten's statistical decline. As for injuries, his 3 week or so injury didn't hurt him, there is no way an NBA scout thinks anyone is immune from a potential week to week injury, this argument would only have merit if he had a significant season ending injury or a serious surgery.

ADVERTISEMENT