ADVERTISEMENT

John Antonik: Mike Lorello reflects on his days at WVU

43rd Parallel

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
AN EXCERPT:

There were several highlight-reel hits by Mountaineer defensive backs (including a couple by Lorello) that probably wouldn’t be permissible in today’s game.

“We were just physically stronger and in better shape than they were,” he said. “Toward the end of the game that showed. If you are tired you are just going to get whacked.”

LINK

I met Lorello two years ago and we talked a lot about football as I would see him a few times a week. A solid guy who is quiet but he loved to talk about football. He was rightfully guarded but gave me some insight. People might now despise RR but WVU never had a better football program than what it did under RR although Nehlen and Bowden had some great teams as well.

That guy made a hit on Lenard Pope where he was giving up probably 80# easy and stopped him from getting a 1st down in the 4th of the Sugar Bowl. One of the best plays nobody talks about that much.

I met Lorello two years ago and we talked a lot about football as I would see him a few times a week. A solid guy who is quiet but he loved to talk about football. He was rightfully guarded but gave me some insight. People might now despise RR but WVU never had a better football program than what it did under RR although Nehlen and Bowden had some great teams as well.

Playing in the shitty BE helped a little. Not exactly playing a tough schedule and he always found a way to lose to USF. He had a couple good teams but best program ever? Nah.

Last edited:
Playing in the shitty BE helped a little. Not exactly playing a tough schedule and he always found a way to lose to USF. He had a couple good teams but best program ever? Nah.

Nehlen and Bowden rarely beat good teams. RR at least won some bowl games.

ADVERTISEMENT