ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Tressel would be the GRAND SLAM of coaching hires

JohnnyDrama388

Sophomore
Mar 23, 2015
It is time we unite as a fan base.

No more gimmicks, no more ulterior motives. No more future presidential candidates leading us down a path of wishful thinking.

WE WANT A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Jim Tressel is the best shot we will have at one this century.

No more gimmicks, no more ulterior motives. No more future presidential candidates leading us down a path of wishful thinking.

I don't think the NCAA would give WVU the same leniency that they give O$U...

& Oliver also wanted the job at Texas, a direct conference rival

sure VP of the NCAA is a big step up, but loyalty to WVU isn't exactly abounding

I'd hire Caitlyn Jenner before I'd let Tressel near our football program. Other than being a well past his prime has-been slime ball with a completely tarnished reputation, no integrity, no current connections and a bad sweater-vest habit....he' be fine. :flush:

Then why isn't he coaching? He seems more like Marshall material to me. Let them know so they can get a national championship.

At least this thread gets Terry Bowden off the hatred hook ... for now.
Dana needs to win THIS season, and more than 7-6. TCU destroyed all the excuses WVU fans have been using for having a losing Big 12 record.

It's time to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.
I'm 82, dammit, and I can't wait another 105 years for WVU to maybe win a national title.

Reactions: pressvirginia
Dana needs to win THIS season, and more than 7-6. TCU destroyed all the excuses WVU fans have been using for having a losing Big 12 record.

I'm 82, dammit, and I can't wait another 105 years for WVU to maybe win a national title.

Wow... ..you didn't include your very fake disclaimer about being a proud alum who loves everything WVU and just because you have a vision of what you want for our school you're not a traitor.

This is where you pretend to not understand.....

No, we STILL hate your terrible suggestion of Terry Bowden, too.

Honestly, what Tressel did is probably commonplace among all major programs. All of these guys are out to cover their and their players actions. But there is a reason no one has hired him yet, and he has now been out of the game far too long. You cant sit out for 5 years, then come back in your mid 60s and hit the ground running in recruiting and tactics.

If I felt the guy could win a championship, I would be all for him, but IMO he is finished, as someone else said, let him go coach Marshall or another similar caliber school if he has an itch to come coach. He can be like Howard Schnellenberger.

Reactions: JohnnyDrama388
& Oliver also wanted the job at Texas, a direct conference rival

sure VP of the NCAA is a big step up, but loyalty to WVU isn't exactly abounding

I wonder of Oliver still thinks his move to the NCAA is a "big step up". He had a lot more swagger and influence at WVU than he seems to have now. He has literally moved into oblivion. When was the last time you heard his name or read about some remarkable changes in the NCAA orchestrated by him?

I wonder of Oliver still thinks his move to the NCAA is a "big step up". He had a lot more swagger and influence at WVU than he seems to have now. He has literally moved into oblivion. When was the last time you heard his name or read about some remarkable changes in the NCAA orchestrated by him?

Nothing to back this up, but IMO it seems like the move Oliver made suggests he has his eyes on becoming the NCAA President one day? Would like to hear from anyone "in the know" on that being a possible motivation for Luck's departure.

I believe I read somewhere that earlier this month Oliver was named among the most influential in NCAA sports.

maybe his new position is more behind the curtains & confidential? less interviews & media coverage than that garnered by moving WVU into the Big XII, making the switch from Stew to Dana, implementing beer sales & the like.

doesn't hurt that his son is one of the "it" QBs now either.

Oliver's resume, decision-making and career moves have been very ambitious. has found a lot of success obviously. He strikes me as someone who is always looking to advance, so yeah, I bet his long-term sights are not on being the VP to anyone.

Former football coach at Ohio State and Youngstown State, Jim Tressel? That guy? Uh, a little secret for you, that Jim Tressel is President of Youngstown State. He has been for awhile.

A real troll does it's research. Back under the bridge with you!

Actually when you read this story I am posting you get the feeling that OL may be THE most influential person in the NCAA during the current tansitional stage of intercollegiate athletics in this country. Because of his varied experiences Emmert brought him in to help guide the NCAA through this transitional stage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/s...-brings-interdisciplinary-expertise.html?_r=0

Honestly, what Tressel did is probably commonplace among all major programs. All of these guys are out to cover their and their players actions. But there is a reason no one has hired him yet, and he has now been out of the game far too long. You cant sit out for 5 years, then come back in your mid 60s and hit the ground running in recruiting and tactics.

If I felt the guy could win a championship, I would be all for him, but IMO he is finished, as someone else said, let him go coach Marshall or another similar caliber school if he has an itch to come coach. He can be like Howard Schnellenberger.

Bill Snyder did it and he kicks WVU ass every year, and you don't think Tressel name still rings true to all of the HS coaches in Ohio. Your stupid to think he couldn't be successful as a D1A coach again. Now the question would be does he want to give up his comfortable job as the Athletic Director and mentor for a job like WVU??

Bill Snyder did it and he kicks WVU ass every year, and you don't think Tressel name still rings true to all of the HS coaches in Ohio. Your stupid to think he couldn't be successful as a D1A coach again. Now the question would be does he want to give up his comfortable job as the Athletic Director and mentor for a job like WVU??
I know who WOULD be out the door, to come here, in a heartbeat... Doc Holliday! 0-12...

Bill Snyder is the exception, not the rule

...and no more "F-It, WV is no place special."

If we paid him enough he would, and IMO it would be a solid hire, you're naive to believe otherwise, money talks.
Isn't it cute how he is desperately convincing himself that Doc wouldn't jump at the first opportunity to get out of that cesspool? If we offered Doc exactly what he was making now, he would be gone by close of business today.

Didn't read post above where he explains that JT is President of YSU, not AD. Poster is a from Marshla so he has that disadvantage going for him

Isn't it cute how he is desperately convincing himself that Doc wouldn't jump at the first opportunity to get out of that cesspool? If we offered Doc exactly what he was making now, he would be gone by close of business today.

Of course he would. But just because we COULD doesn't mean we SHOULD or that we WILL. He'd be a step backwards. He and his bug-eyes do not belong in Morgantown unless we end up back in the AAC and are never to be heard from again. And if that happens, we have bigger issues that that slimeball as a coach.

First, we are NOT going to win a National Title, regardless of the coach.

Many many coaches would be an upgrade over Dana, including Tressel, Houston Nutt, Butch Davis, and Mack Brown.

Of course he would. But just because we COULD doesn't mean we SHOULD or that we WILL. He'd be a step backwards. He and his bug-eyes do not belong in Morgantown unless we end up back in the AAC and are never to be heard from again. And if that happens, we have bigger issues that that slimeball as a coach.
Exactly...

ADVERTISEMENT