ADVERTISEMENT

Italian beef sandwich recipe...

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
This recipe expired from the board and I thought I would throw out there again. I've never seen more people like one recipe more than this one so here it is. For those that haven't made it before the only warning I would have is expect it to be very salty.

Italian Beef

1 3 lb. chuck roast
1 jar pepperoncinis including juice (8-12 ounce jar)
1 envelope Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
4 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 16-20 oz water
1 tbsp. Italian herb seasoning
1 tbsp. garlic powder

Put all ingredients into the Crock Pot and cook on low setting for 10 hours.

Shred the meat, serve on Italian rolls with Provolone cheese and extra juice for dipping.

Thanks for that

Not sure I immediately recall this recipe, but I'm a monstrous fan of Italian Beef.....but my wife is always looking for crockpot recipes, so makes sense to give this one a whirl. Also, I wonder what could be done to cut the saltiness (though I'm sure I could eat it as is) a bit.

Re: Thanks for that

Originally posted by COOL MAN:
Not sure I immediately recall this recipe, but I'm a monstrous fan of Italian Beef.....but my wife is always looking for crockpot recipes, so makes sense to give this one a whirl. Also, I wonder what could be done to cut the saltiness (though I'm sure I could eat it as is) a bit.
It was posted on the Eat's board right after it opened and people loved it. I've given to a dozen people or more and they all carry on about how great it is. You could do a lot to cut back on the salt, this week I went with two bouillon cubes rather than four. It's still salty but as you can imagine it has a lot of flavor so you could keep cutting back on the cubes, seasoning packet and pepper juice.

Re: Thanks for that

Originally posted by Vernon:. It was posted on the Eat's board right after it opened and people loved it. I've given to a dozen people or more and they all carry on about how great it is. You could do a lot to cut back on the salt, this week I went with two bouillon cubes rather than four. It's still salty but as you can imagine it has a lot of flavor so you could keep cutting back on the cubes, seasoning packet and pepper juice.
Thanks !!

I go with 2-3 beef cubes. Lately I have been doing it without the good seasons also. Also, make sure people are using garlic powder not salt, if not using fresh garlic.

My wife has been doing this beef and pepperocinis for decades (can't believe that's the case), but not with the Italian seasonings, so I'm anxious to try this version.

I made this recipe a while back and liked it but next time I won't add the juice from pepper jar and won't use the whole pack of Italian dressing.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

We had this last night for the first time

No question, a simple and very tasty dish (we had the beef with rings and slaw for sides).

FWIW, we used mini-pretzel rolls ffrom Costoc for the sandwiches rather than the typical Italian roll, and they worked out great (especially dipped, which is how I like my IB sandwiches). Not that it matters, but we did go light on the bouillon cubes and pepper juice.....and were probably glad.

Already planning to have it again when company visits around the Holidays.....thanks again for posting the recipe, V !!!!

Out of curiosity how do most of you shred the beef correctly? Just curious. Can't wait to try this one.

Out of curiosity how do most of you shred the beef correctly? Just curious. Can't wait to try this one.
It's funny that at around eight hours in it doesn't look like the beef is going to be that tender but that last hour or so something really happens, at least in my experiences. When it's done that meat will literally just fall apart. Take a fork and within a minute or two you can shred the meat. Coincidentally I was planning to make these this week.

Reactions: WVU-SE
I ordered these claws earlier this year for shredding pork/chicken from the smoker. They take a little bit to get used to but do the job well.

81%2BqohdObnL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: WVU-SE
Thanks for reminding me about this one; 'bout damned time we do it again !!!!!

Thanks for the feedback gents. I'm going to give this a whirl this weekend. I just bought those things of amazon Mog. So appreciate the recommendation. If anyone has a picture of how this looks when done post it up. Love looking at that kind of stuff.

This recipe expired from the board and I thought I would throw out there again. I've never seen more people like one recipe more than this one so here it is. For those that haven't made it before the only warning I would have is expect it to be very salty.

Italian Beef

1 3 lb. chuck roast
1 jar pepperoncinis including juice (8-12 ounce jar)
1 envelope Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
4 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 16-20 oz water
1 tbsp. Italian herb seasoning
1 tbsp. garlic powder

Put all ingredients into the Crock Pot and cook on low setting for 10 hours.

Shred the meat, serve on Italian rolls with Provolone cheese and extra juice for dipping.
I like that recipe, I've done it exactly the same for years........it's also good if you switch Oliverio's peppers in sauce for the pepperoncinis.......more like a traditional steak hoagie served by the Italian restaurants here in the Clarksburg/Morgantown area.

Finally tried this for dinner tonight, and it was as good as advertised.
That's funny because I was going to fix it today but we had a change in plans. I'll probably do it later this week. I have to scale back the salt because I'm an old man but otherwise this is easily one of my all time favs.

Just dropped this in the crockpot this morning. Wanted to give it a bump on the board. Already looking forward to dinner.

One of the easiest and best dinners for the crock.

Oddly enough, my wife made this over the weekend using some pork butt instead of beef.

Actually thought about that this time when I was buying the beef. The pork shoulders were on sale. How’d it turn out?

Actually thought about that this time when I was buying the beef. The pork shoulders were on sale. How’d it turn out?
Worked great- pretty much just like you'd expect. We bought half a pig a month ago, so we've got a lot of pork to go through.

Thanks for that

Try the sodium free bullion packs from Kroger or Walmart. I can't tell the difference and it cuts the salt in half. Always use them in soups, they have chicken and beef.

ADVERTISEMENT