ADVERTISEMENT

It appears our defense could be even better than last year.

Doctor Doom

Heisman Winner
Mar 7, 2004
Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
We have a good group. Athletic, fast and we look to have depth. Tough to know what we are on offense. Howard gives you a running threat but I worry about WR. Crest gives you a weapon. I like Smallwood. He can run and catch. I can't see how it all fits together on the offensive side yet.

We have a good group. Athletic, fast and we look to have depth. Tough to know what we are on offense. Howard gives you a running threat but I worry about WR. Crest gives you a weapon. I like Smallwood. He can run and catch. I can't see how it all fits together on the offensive side yet.
They have a chance of being better. Of course it's hard to tell until you see them against those Big 12 offenses.

The two positions where I thought we were strong and set, CB and Safety. Now Tony tells us that we have competition for starting spots. I was sure after last season, we had A-A caliber at three of the positions and the 4th slot filled by one of my absolute favorite guy. Now those guys are being pressed??? The recruits are also probably the strongest in those positions. Could be special year.

Reactions: Doctor Doom
Waiting to see if the departure of Tom Bradley makes a difference on defense. Last year we were starting to look like the Mountaineer teams of the past. Will Tony keep it going?

Waiting to see if the departure of Tom Bradley makes a difference on defense. Last year we were starting to look like the Mountaineer teams of the past. Will Tony keep it going?
Did Bradley have anything to do with last year's success? We'll never know and trying to judge his impact based on a different season isn't really valid to me.

Did Bradley have anything to do with last year's success? We'll never know and trying to judge his impact based on a different season isn't really valid to me.

If the defense improves this year, I won't even remember what is name's name. Sounds like you are going to be a more active participant with this new format Vernon. I like it.

If the defense improves this year, I won't even remember what is name's name. Sounds like you are going to be a more active participant with this new format Vernon. I like it.
It's easier for me to hit more posts so I think it will help me and the rest of the staff.

But on Bradley I really don't know how much he was involved this past year and it makes it really difficult to know if he will be missed or not.

And the cycle continues. Good/great defense on the years our offense will be woeful. Next year we can have an improved offense and start over on defense once this group graduates.

It better be an upgrade on defense. There were games last year in which we couldn't get a stop no matter what we tried.

Regardless, I can't wait to see my alma mater in action on Mountaineer Field for Georgia Southern and Liberty and a better test against Maryland before the bone-crushing Big 12 season begins. Nearly every game in the Big 12 is like playing the top rival in the Big East, so it's every week instead of a few key games a season. Much tougher on the athletes, but some great viewing by the fans!

It better be an upgrade on defense. There were games last year in which we couldn't get a stop no matter what we tried.

Accurate statement which is why I don't understand people who thought our defense was so great last year when in all actuality it was very mediocre. Just because it had improved doesn't mean it was "good." If this team defense doesn't learn how to get consistent pressure on the QB they will again have a mediocre year.

The defense was not that good last year. Anyone with a pulse moved the ball at will on them. More size and talent is needed up front.

The defense was not that good last year. Anyone with a pulse moved the ball at will on them. More size and talent is needed up front.
Can't remember too many quality teams without solid offensive and defensive lines. I don't expect to see many next year either.

"Even better" than last year implies that last was good....uhhh...Not even close to good. 74th in points allowed at 27.6. That would be considerably higher if you threw out the Towson shutout. See me about good if that number gets to say, 20 or 17 or so.

I'm not sure anyone has said they were good.

But they improved. Another improvement this year and we may have something.

I've said they were good, and I still believe they were. Too many turnovers put them in bad positions and had them playing too many series. I think they were better than people give them credit for. I think we lacked size/depth on the DL and they wore down in some games ... but part of that again was because of the turnovers.

Of course, I don't have a crystal ball and can't tell you how they would have played without the turnovers, but I think they were better than it seems.

We led TCU the entire game (exceptt the only time it matters) even with 5 turnovers, and 3 of them were deep in our own end IIRC. That was a great defensive effort to keep us in that.

Defense was horrible last year. I think they could be worse this year, they were very creative in masking their weaknesses in a bunch of the games but usually by the end of the game they were figured out and couldn't make crucial stops against better opponents. I cant believe people are excited about the D, we have some good athletes, but until we have a line that can stop a run without a perfectly timed all out blitz we will struggle against the top half of the league more often than not.

Last years defense had mostly good results with a few busted plays sprinkled in. The two years before it was one busted play after another with one or two good series sprinkled in. Anyone who can't see they improved is blind. Anyone who thinks they are good enough to carry a team in the Big XII is very optimistic. But after getting whipped like a red headed step child for consecutive years a defense ranked in the seventies looked pretty dam good I must admit.

Last years defense had mostly good results with a few busted plays sprinkled in. The two years before it was one busted play after another with one or two good series sprinkled in. Anyone who can't see they improved is blind. Anyone who thinks they are good enough to carry a team in the Big XII is very optimistic. But after getting whipped like a red headed step child for consecutive years a defense ranked in the seventies looked pretty dam good I must admit.

They definitely improved, but that isn't saying much when you improved from being one of the worst defenses in the country to being below average. If we want to win in this league our D needs to be bare minimum top half of the FBS and our offense needs to be dominant. Our D could be an average unit this year but Im not so sure that the offense will carry them unless we get some surprises out of the WRs and OL.

We are in a conference that has a premium on offense. We had a couple bad outings from the D last year, but I do believe you should look closely at those games. The offense didn't give much of a breather.

ADVERTISEMENT