ADVERTISEMENT

Info on WVU's former QB -- Chan Gailey: Geno Smith is Jets' starting quarterback

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
Chan Gailey: Geno Smith is Jets' starting quarterback

We knew Geno Smith was the favorite to open the season as the New York Jets' starting quarterback.

What we didn't know until now is that offensive coordinator Chan Gailey already views Smith as the Week 1 starter, barring injury.

Gailey told reporters Wednesday that there will be no quarterback competition with veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick this summer.

"Right now, Geno is the starter," Gailey said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "And the way we expect it to be."

More: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ailey-geno-smith-is-jets-starting-quarterback

Welp, I was wrong on this one. Shocked the new coaching staff would give him that kind of vote of confidence in May

Chan Gailey: Geno Smith is Jets' starting quarterback

We knew Geno Smith was the favorite to open the season as the New York Jets' starting quarterback.

What we didn't know until now is that offensive coordinator Chan Gailey already views Smith as the Week 1 starter, barring injury.

Gailey told reporters Wednesday that there will be no quarterback competition with veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick this summer.

"Right now, Geno is the starter," Gailey said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "And the way we expect it to be."

More: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ailey-geno-smith-is-jets-starting-quarterback

I always thought of Chan Gailey as a run oriented guy but a solid evaluator of offensive talent. I couldn't be happier for Geno given he has a chance to prove himself in, perhaps, a whole new offensive scheme!

I always thought of Chan Gailey as a run oriented guy but a solid evaluator of offensive talent. I couldn't be happier for Geno given he has a chance to prove himself in, perhaps, a whole new offensive scheme!

He is probably one of the most QB friendly OCs in the league. If Geno cannot muster up a decent season under him he is probably finished in the NFL outside of the possibility of hanging on as a fringe #2 or #3 somewhere. He made Tyler Thigpen look like a passable NFL QB, and had Ryan Fitzpatrick looking like a pro bowler for a half season. Geno now has a respected OC, is named starter going into camp so he will not lose reps to the competition, Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker to throw to, a stable of solid runningbacks to take the pressure off of the pass, and an OL that should be a little better than last year. Not saying he has the pro bowl team around him, but he has more than enough tools to be successful, lets hope he steps up this year now that he has some support.

never a doubt that geno is a top nfl qb talent-wise. not at all surprised they want to see what he can do with legitimate nfl talent around him, plus a legitimate OC. both things he's not had in the nfl

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT