ADVERTISEMENT

In Phil Steele's ranking of strength of 2015 scheules

BurninDownTheCouch

All-Conference
Jan 16, 2006
Saint Albans
in EVERY metric used to evaluate schedules, (opponents record...opponents ranking, opponents bowl eligibility) etc....Marshall came in dead last.. He's got 129 in his rankings (Yes, Marshall is ranked 129) Is it any wonder no one wants to watch their games, and they have so little interest across the state and country? WVU averages 25,000 more fans who pay 5x the money for tickets. But, according to Steele, WVU played the 14th toughest schedule in the country last year. This year, he has WVU 100 spots higher than Moo at #29. Marshall would shake like a dog defecating razor blades with either of last or this years schedule.

Their scheduling is intentional......cowardly, but probably their most prudent strategic move. What I don't understand is why they thump their chests.....?

in EVERY metric used to evaluate schedules, (opponents record...opponents ranking, opponents bowl eligibility) etc....Marshall came in dead last.. He's got 129 in his rankings (Yes, Marshall is ranked 129) Is it any wonder no one wants to watch their games, and they have so little interest across the state and country? WVU averages 25,000 more fans who pay 5x the money for tickets. But, according to Steele, WVU played the 14th toughest schedule in the country last year. This year, he has WVU 100 spots higher than Moo at #29. Marshall would shake like a dog defecating razor blades with either of last or this years schedule.

Their scheduling is intentional......cowardly, but probably their most prudent strategic move. What I don't understand is why they thump their chests.....?
Definitely cowardly...

They have no choice, everyone is "afraid" to play them -- yeh, right!

[sarcasm for you Herdiots]

How does Phil know what an oponents record will be ...before the season is ever played? What does Phil think SBUX will sell for in December?

How does Phil know what an oponents record will be ...before the season is ever played? What does Phil think SBUX will sell for in December?

It's from his well respected opinion. Someone's got to rank em....... It's based on how your opponents did last year (W/L%, Bowl Appearances, Rankings).... It's rather quantitative and logical. Face it, your schedule sucks. I think I even heard Phil say that too...

It's from his well respected opinion. Someone's got to rank em....... It's based on how your opponents did last year (W/L%, Bowl Appearances, Rankings).... It's rather quantitative and logical. Face it, your schedule sucks. I think I even heard Phil say that too...
So it's a dubious shot in the dark?

So Phil should give a quantitative and logical assessment of where the S&P will be in December. Phil Steele is wasting his talents!

That's not his gig. There are other professionals in that area that can help you with that particular forecast. However, Miss Cleo said your schedule sucked too.

I, for one, think Phil Steele is an overhyped assclown.

However, he is one of several ranking systems that have Marshall's strength of schedule as dead last.

That's not his gig. There are other professionals in that area that can help you with that particular forecast. However, Miss Cleo said your schedule sucked too.
Hahahahaha...something rarely seen on the 'shed. A WVU boy with a spark of wit! I always wondered if Miss Cleo saw her own financial demise coming!

Of course there is no way to know what an opponents record will be, the SOS will change as the season progresses ... however:
Purdue Boilermakers
at Ohio Bobcats
norfolk-st1.gif
Norfolk State Spartans
at Kent State Golden Flashes
Old Dominion Monarchs
Southern Miss Golden Eagles
at Florida Atlantic Owls
North Texas Mean Green (HC)
at Charlotte 49ers
at Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders
FIU Golden Panthers
at Western Kentucky Hilltoppers

This is not exactly a murderer's row. For instance, what are the realistic chances of any of those teams being better than say Oklahoma, or Alabama, or TCU, or Florida State, and so on and so forth.

So, naturally, your schedule is going to be ranked lower than a team that has anybody on their schedule that factors into the national discussion at all ... ever.

I'm going to say that at least 3 of those teams will end the season ranked lower than at least 10 FCS schools if history is any indication ... and in college football, it is.

Of course there is no way to know what an opponents record will be, the SOS will change as the season progresses ... however:
Purdue Boilermakers
at Ohio Bobcats
norfolk-st1.gif
Norfolk State Spartans
at Kent State Golden Flashes
Old Dominion Monarchs
Southern Miss Golden Eagles
at Florida Atlantic Owls
North Texas Mean Green (HC)
at Charlotte 49ers
at Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders
FIU Golden Panthers
at Western Kentucky Hilltoppers

This is not exactly a murderer's row. For instance, what are the realistic chances of any of those teams being better than say Oklahoma, or Alabama, or TCU, or Florida State, and so on and so forth.

So, naturally, your schedule is going to be ranked lower than a team that has anybody on their schedule that factors into the national discussion at all ... ever.

I'm going to say that at least 3 of those teams will end the season ranked lower than at least 10 FCS schools if history is any indication ... and in college football, it is.

This is the PU coach's 3rd year at the helm and they have an experienced QB under center, if they're ever going to return to the Joe Tiller successful days, it should be in 2015. Ohio U. likewise returns a bunch of key players from last season including their QB, Bobs will return to bowl game in 2015. Athens has become chamber of horrors for the Herd recently , so I fully expect that game to be a dogfight, especially after the drubbing we handed them last season.

This is the PU coach's 3rd year at the helm and they have an experienced QB under center, if they're ever going to return to the Joe Tiller successful days, it should be in 2015. Ohio U. likewise returns a bunch of key players from last season including their QB, Bobs will return to bowl game in 2015. Athens has become chamber of horrors for the Herd recently , so I fully expect that game to be a dogfight, especially after the drubbing we handed them last season.

And neither one would stand a chance against at least half of the P5 teams. Everybody has a chance, I guess, (Appy St. over Michigan) but on a neutral field they would be heavy underdogs and, if series' were played in college football, would never win 2 of 3.

Your entire schedule is full of those teams ... which is why you rank dead last in SOS in FBS schools, and will also end up ranking lower than about a dozen FCS schools in SOS.

And neither one would stand a chance against at least half of the P5 teams. Everybody has a chance, I guess, (Appy St. over Michigan) but on a neutral field they would be heavy underdogs and, if series' were played in college football, would never win 2 of 3.

Your entire schedule is full of those teams ... which is why you rank dead last in SOS in FBS schools, and will also end up ranking lower than about a dozen FCS schools in SOS.
I don't see how you can deduce that ...PU could well go 4-4 in Big 10 play!

I don't see how you can deduce that ...PU could well go 4-4 in Big 10 play!

I could just as easily ask you how you can deduce that PU would go 4-4 in Big 10 play too.

However.

And that would be losing to half of the teams, wouldn't it? Which is pretty much what I said.

You play absolutely nobody that anybody would give a realistic chance to beat any team of consequence. You seem to go to great lengths to avoid them. Makes it easy to brag about going 12-1, I guess.

The real question is how can you not be ashamed to not go undefeated with a schedule that weak?

I didn't say PU would go 4-4, I said they could go 4-4 . I leave the absolute forecasting to Phil.

I didn't say PU would go 4-4, I said they could go 4-4 . I leave the absolute forecasting to Phil.

Luckily they don't play OSU or Michigan ... getting to avoid the best teams is a good way to pad the record.

Isn't it. <ahem>

It's true the ydoge OSU but have to play MSU, the second best team in the league. Not sure Michigan could beat Purdue this season ,we'll have to see what Harbaugh pulls out of his hat! UM was not very good last season but it's a new year!

Are you referring to MU? If so I disagree with your defintion of the adjective " barely". We closed the season by beating La tech and NIU both well within the Top 100.

La Tech was 74 or 76 which might be considered "well within the top 100" but they also part of the 25th percentile.

You also lost to number 80.

Are you referring to MU? If so I disagree with your defintion of the adjective " barely". We closed the season by beating La tech and NIU both well within the Top 100.
Are you really beating your chest about beating la tech and Directional Illinois? How many teams did you beat that were worth a damn?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT