ADVERTISEMENT

If Dana falls, Terry Bowden may be available

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
The Akron Faculty wants to downgrade Zips football to the Fairmont State level because it's losing $8 million a year. Of course, the faculty doesn't mention that its top-heavy administration is costing a pretty penny, too.

If Akron drops out of the Mid-American, which is about as low as you can get and not sink to Mount Union or Youngstown levels, you know Terry will be job-hunting.

Just in time for WVU if Dana has another 4-8 season.

No, I do NOT want Dana to fail, because that means my alma mater fails. Just saying the two events may cross paths and bring another Bowden to run WVU football. And this one wouldn't run away to Florida State and already burned his bridges at Auburn (and maybe the SEC).

cqt63li4y604o9k3nzore4i7q.500x350x10.gif

There is about 50 reasons why that would be an awful hire, most are self explanatory

Daddy Bowden went on to be one of the greatest head coaches in the history of college football. Tommy and Terry have had their moments. But Terry's best moments were spent behind a microphone after the fiasco at Auburn.

There have to be a dozen coaches out there we can't name off the top of our head that would be better head coaches than Terry Bowden.

The Akron Faculty wants to downgrade Zips football to the Fairmont State level because it's losing $8 million a year. Of course, the faculty doesn't mention that its top-heavy administration is costing a pretty penny, too.

If Akron drops out of the Mid-American, which is about as low as you can get and not sink to Mount Union or Youngstown levels, you know Terry will be job-hunting.

No, I do NOT want Dana to fail, because that means my alma mater fails. Just saying the two events may cross paths and bring another Bowden to run WVU football. And this one wouldn't run away to Florida State and already burned his bridges at Auburn (and maybe the SEC).
Losing 8 million a year?!? Isn't it the taxpayer's job to prop up a school that can't support itself, like we do with Marshall? Why be responsible and play at a level you can support yourself, when it is so easy to get a handout?

I think you are probably joking, but I've seen many of your posts and you usually aren't one to do that.
Sooo... I'll humor you and for the sake of it being summer-slow right now, assume you aren't just kidding.
Terry, while a Mountaineer (and I like him as a color commentator)... is not someone to coach WVU at this point in his life. He wasn't even a serious candidate last time there was a change in 2010. He is far far removed from his Auburn days and while Akron is a tough job, it's not like he's set the world on fire there.
There are plenty of other guys with WVU ties that would be better suited. And no, I don't have time to name them.

Reactions: AirForceer

Who, within reason, is a better fit than any of those guys?

RR had the best winning pct of all time here, controversial exit aside, if he wanted to come back at the right moment who are we to say no? Who else could we get that is capable of winning at that rate here? Louisville took back Petrino and all of his warts. Controversial exit aside, RR still has connections here, and as a native WVian, former player and coach, there will always be mutual appeal.

If we are to stick with the philosophy Dana installed, why not go after the real mastermind behind that type of offense? Particularly a guy who has won big in the Big XII before at a school not named Texas or Oklahoma. He would be the best "hit the ground running" candidate. There could be mutual appeal as we are a step up from WSU, and Leach Im sure would love to get back to the Big XII and prove everyone wrong including the people who canned him at Texas Tech.

Doc has been an assistant here twice, and is doing a decent job at Marshall. Yes, they played the ultimate JV schedule last year to go *edit* 13-1, but not too long ago Marshall probably goes 6-6 against that pack of losers on their schedule, he would probably do a solid job here. There would definitely be appeal on Holliday's side, we would just have to pull the trigger.

RR had the best winning pct of all time here, controversial exit aside, if he wanted to come back at the right moment who are we to say no? Who else could we get that is capable of winning at that rate here? Louisville took back Petrino and all of his warts. Controversial exit aside, RR still has connections here, and as a native WVian, former player and coach, there will always be mutual appeal.

If we are to stick with the philosophy Dana installed, why not go after the real mastermind behind that type of offense? Particularly a guy who has won big in the Big XII before at a school not named Texas or Oklahoma. He would be the best "hit the ground running" candidate. There could be mutual appeal as we are a step up from WSU, and Leach Im sure would love to get back to the Big XII and prove everyone wrong including the people who canned him at Texas Tech.

Doc has been an assistant here twice, and is doing a decent job at Marshall. Yes, they played the ultimate JV schedule last year to go *edit* 13-1, but not too long ago Marshall probably goes 6-6 against that pack of losers on their schedule, he would probably do a solid job here. There would definitely be appeal on Holliday's side, we would just have to pull the trigger.
I'm fine with Rich but Leach has issues and has only had limited success. Right now he's struggling to show any signs of improvement. Doc just isn't an option for variety of reasons.

WVU's next coach could possibly be Rich but it will likely be a head coach of a MAC/CUSA type school.

Reactions: Archetype XLIV
Leach inherited a dumpster fire to the tune of 8 straight bowl-less seasons including a 4-32 stretch in conference play over the previous 4 seasons, its a little tough to tell what can and cannot be accomplished at that school, but Leach is not doing bad, already got them back to a bowl in year 2. He did about as well as anyone could have at Tech, he would probably have better results here without being in the shadow of Texas, A&M, and OU, and certainly better results than DH IMO.

Doc isnt an option because there is this Marshall phobia among our alumni, as if poaching their HC is some acknowledgement of their success under him... suck it up and hire him if he does indeed emerge as the best candidate should DH get the axe this year.

Maybe my memory is wrong, but isn't Terry Bowden the Auburn head coach who QUIT in mid-season and was also involved in a sexual harassment matter at Auburn? I am old school, I admit. I don't want a Quitter coaching WVU.

My list would be

Rhett Lashlee OC Auburn
Phillip Montgomery OC Baylor
Scott Frost OC Oregon
Mike Norvell OC Arizona State

However, I believe there is no need for this list because I fully believe we are heading in the right direction with our current staff and I am impressed with the job the Seider is doing with recruiting by breaking into Big 10 territory.

If we hired RR back I would change my will back to giving my $ to the Little Sisters of the Poor! Same with Doc. There was some bad blood there and I don't want any of it. We would need an infusion of coaching talent... not just a transfusion.

Other than that damn red font in bold this is just an annoying summer thread.

So many good laughs

I hope its still going if I get bored at the beach.

If we hired RR back I would change my will back to giving my $ to the Little Sisters of the Poor! Same with Doc. There was some bad blood there and I don't want any of it. We would need an infusion of coaching talent... not just a transfusion.

This mentality among our fanbase is exactly why we are always a step below the big boys. This crybaby bruised ego against RR is insane. It has been almost a decade for Gods sake, get over it.

This mentality among our fanbase is exactly why we are always a step below the big boys. This crybaby bruised ego against RR is insane. It has been almost a decade for Gods sake, get over it.

Certain things in my world are unforgivable. Two of them are 1). "Traitor" and, 2). "Apologist" (for the traitor). RR is mostly a traitor. You are both so that makes you even potentially a worse threat to our institution. Go back and suck on Obama and his actions and stick a finger up RR's butt so you are totally turned on. You and your ilk are forming the fundamental problems in our society. You don't get loyalty, integrity, honesty, and commitment especially when it comes to what is sacred. WVU as an institution is sacred to me and it needs to uphold all of those other elements as well. Hiring RR back would violate my trust in the school and would, as an aside, make us the laughing stock of the entire country.

Reactions: AirForceer
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!

So...did he fool you twice??

----------

Please write that you're not one of those people who (pretend to) think he actually lost to Pitt on purpose.

==========

The way he left WVU sucked and wasn't very (mature) professional.....but that doesn't mean hiring a more mature coach again would be a mistake.

So...did he fool you twice??

----------

Please write that you're not one of those people who (pretend to) think he actually lost to Pitt on purpose.

==========

The way he left WVU sucked and wasn't very (mature) professional.....but that doesn't mean hiring a more mature coach again would be a mistake.

Not twice, but he did fool me once. I thought the man walked on water. No I don't think he lost to Pitt on purpose, but he was certainly distracted. Same as he was distracted the year we lost to USF while he denied ever talking to Alabama about a job.

For me, I think he was a great coach and I certainly think a man has a right to work where he wants. However, I can never forgive the way he went about it.

Hiring him again would not be a mistake, it would an insult! JMO.

I'm fine with Rich but Leach has issues and has only had limited success. Right now he's struggling to show any signs of improvement. Doc just isn't an option for variety of reasons.

WVU's next coach could possibly be Rich but it will likely be a head coach of a MAC/CUSA type school.

agreed. Doc's a good recruiter of Fla and no matter the schedule, he's won as a head coach. But I doubt he ever returns to WVU.

Leach would be no different than what we have now. Most hires sort of go in the opposite direction of the previous guy. ie the offense under the Stewart regime was replaced in favor of the Air Raid. Florida had Muschamp who supposedly was all about D, but their O regressed & they brought in an offensive mind to revitalize it.

While not popular among some, I'd favor Rod. Resume speaks for itself. I'm long over the messy divorce. Stuff happens & I believe he knows he made a mistake ever leaving. There are all new faces running WVU now too. VPI could be a potential factor with that AD though.

A proven head coach who won at the MAC/CUSA level would be fine too. In keeping with going in the opposite direction theory, replacing a hot named guru for a winning head coach could be what the doctor ordered.

Matt Campbell at Toledo and Justin Fuente at Memphis would be on the list.

You would have to think that Kirby Smart would get a look from Lyons. Jeremy Pruitt is another.

Well, at least that got us a little closer to the GaSo opener.

I agree that Rich would be a fabulous hire for WVU, IF we could get him now that he's doing so well at Arizona, which is in the Pac-12, the No. 2 conference in America for the 2014 season, just as the Big 12 was a few seasons before that.

Big 10 may get a turn, but more than just having the national champ. SEC, of course.

ACC, sucking hind tit in college football once Florida State falters.

I never said I thought WVU should hire Terry Bowden. I just said that, if Akron downgrades football, he'd be willing to take the job.

And I also said I hope Dana succeeds so we don't need a replacement. It's my alma mater. I'd root for the Devil, or Rich (no pun intended), if he brought WVU a national title without breaking NCAA rules.

It was interesting to see which names popped up. I agree that Leach would be a problem not worth inflicting on our reputation.

But, hey, whatever gets us through the boring baseball and to the GaSo opener and glorious Mountaineer football, the best sports bargain in my life, bar none. Can't wait to plunk my butt in Section 105 to see my guys in action!

Certain things in my world are unforgivable. Two of them are 1). "Traitor" and, 2). "Apologist" (for the traitor). RR is mostly a traitor. You are both so that makes you even potentially a worse threat to our institution. Go back and suck on Obama and his actions and stick a finger up RR's butt so you are totally turned on. You and your ilk are forming the fundamental problems in our society. You don't get loyalty, integrity, honesty, and commitment especially when it comes to what is sacred. WVU as an institution is sacred to me and it needs to uphold all of those other elements as well. Hiring RR back would violate my trust in the school and would, as an aside, make us the laughing stock of the entire country.

LMAO wow man, STFU hes a FOOTBALL COACH not a head of state! He doesnt have to be loyal to anyone. WVU would not be LOYAL to him if he lost - its business, win or go home, and if you win then the team has to pay up to keep him, we didnt pay up so someone else did.

If he wants to come back and we need a coach we would be FOOLS not to take back the coach who helped orchestrate our best 4 year run in school history.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER

I know this is just discussion board and this is a valid topic, but it seems to me these type of post over and over become a self fulfilling proficiency.

P.S. We would not want TB to be head coach.

LMAO wow man, STFU hes a FOOTBALL COACH not a head of state! He doesnt have to be loyal to anyone. WVU would not be LOYAL to him if he lost - its business, win or go home, and if you win then the team has to pay up to keep him, we didnt pay up so someone else did.

If he wants to come back and we need a coach we would be FOOLS not to take back the coach who helped orchestrate our best 4 year run in school history.
its also funny how some of our fans like the OP who willingly give pastilong, garrison, etc a pass for their role in Rods departure. There's a reason he left. But those fools want to ignore that.

Reactions: xWVU2010x

roddy did not have the best winning percentage all-time at wvu.....clarence spears did.....bill stewart had a better winning percentage than roddy did.....look it up.....not saying stewart was a better coach, but it's pretty easy to look up that roddy is not the winning-percentage leader among wvu football coaches.....personally, i wouldn't want roddy back at wvu, even if his hair (transplant) was on fire......

Proof once again that you and your ilk are at the root of the problem... and with your overall immature attitude it extends into other aspects of life in this country. BTW... want to try to get me to STFU? You wouldn't last 30 seconds!

Immature? You come in with personal and political attacks and dont expect the person to respond? You are a clown man, get a grip, were talking sports here not war and peace.

I don't much care for internal bickering. We are all (or mostly) Mountaineers. It's like fighting with "family". We all have our own ideas and preferences and they will sometimes, if not often, clash. It is what it is. Support for our school and our team(s) is of greater importance even if we disagree on how best to do that.

Maybe my memory is wrong, but isn't Terry Bowden the Auburn head coach who QUIT in mid-season and was also involved in a sexual harassment matter at Auburn? I am old school, I admit. I don't want a Quitter coaching WVU.
Then why are you all for RR.

My list would be

Rhett Lashlee OC Auburn
Phillip Montgomery OC Baylor
Scott Frost OC Oregon
Mike Norvell OC Arizona State

However, I believe there is no need for this list because I fully believe we are heading in the right direction with our current staff and I am impressed with the job the Seider is doing with recruiting by breaking into Big 10 territory.[/QU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT